Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-09-2020, 14:44   #511
pinkypinky

Mod Note: moved conversation re: surname variants to its own thread.

Don't be afraid to start a new thread: I'll let you know if there's a problem with it!
Advertisement
25-09-2020, 09:32   #512
Rmulvany

With regards the Beyond 2022 Project, I see there was another online research showcase and demonstration yesterday.
Titled "PRONI and the Creation of Ireland’s Virtual Record Treasury"

I missed it so I am trying to find a way to watch it back.
Did anybody watch this? Was anything mentioned with regards a recorded copy for watching back? I have looked through the @beyond_2022 twitter page but haven't seen anything.

If you watched it, was it good? Anything new/interesting mentioned?
25-09-2020, 10:22   #513
pinkypinky

I've been to 2 talks about it this year and they're all quite similar.

I don't think we'll see updates for a while.

Here's the talk they gave the IGRS last month.
https://www.irishancestors.ie/beyond-2022-lecture/
25-09-2020, 12:58   #514
spurious
Category Moderator

Anyone with any knowledge of how the digitisation of C of I records is progressing?
25-09-2020, 14:39   #515
pinkypinky

I know they had started but it's surely been massively delayed by covid.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-09-2020, 14:45   #516
mindhorn

Possibly more suited to the history forum but any recommended reading for what life was like in inner city Dublin in the late 1800s/early 1900s? Open to historical fiction books as well.
27-09-2020, 16:40   #517
mod9maple

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindhorn View Post
Possibly more suited to the history forum but any recommended reading for what life was like in inner city Dublin in the late 1800s/early 1900s? Open to historical fiction books as well.
For non-fiction your best bet would be to ask in any Dublin city library, or even in the National Library (although not being in Dublin myself, I have no idea if any are open. I don't even know if you are there!) You could ask in the main history forum or search if the question has been discussed before. Try a search as well on the likes of Goodreads, Archive.org, or Google Books.

As for fiction, the one that springs to mind immediately is Strumpet City. Sean O'Casey's plays as well.
Thanks from:
27-09-2020, 16:43   #518
mod9maple

I don't suppose anyone has heard any word of the deaths being put online back to 1864 on Irishgenealogy.ie? The wait is becoming interminable. I don't know how many times I've read someone being quoted as saying 'soon' in the last few years.
27-09-2020, 17:43   #519
pinkypinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindhorn View Post
Yes, ask in the history forum please.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-09-2020, 17:44   #520
pinkypinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod9maple View Post
I don't suppose anyone has heard any word of the deaths being put online back to 1864 on Irishgenealogy.ie? The wait is becoming interminable. I don't know how many times I've read someone being quoted as saying 'soon' in the last few years.
A lot of GRO staff were seconded for contact tracing work, so I'd say it's further away than it was.

The GRO reading room is even closed under the current Dublin restrictions. I had ordered an early death from them and got an out of office. I'm deciding whether to order from Roscommon. The last one I tried there took weeks and when I rang to ask, they were quite snotty.
Thanks from:
27-09-2020, 18:11   #521
Hermy

Joyce's Ulysses gives a great flavour of the City at the turn of the century and the RTE dramatisation really brings the work to life.

It's freely available at the Internet Archive if anyone's interested.

There are terms I've only come across in genealogy - words like phthisis and messuages - whose pronunciation I wasn't sure of till I'd listened to the great work.

There's even a brief description of someone's genealogy in it but I'm struggling to find the reference.
(3) thanks from:
29-09-2020, 10:24   #522
pinkypinky

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir (who aren't allowed sing together) at the moment, but a reminder that if you are interested or know someone who might be, I'm teaching a genealogy class both in person and remotely starting next week in Malahide.

Booking & details here.
(2) thanks from:
29-09-2020, 10:32   #523
JDERIC2017

An excellent class and highly recommended.... Have learned so much and have found so many ancestors with your help
(2) thanks from:
01-10-2020, 11:26   #524
Rmulvany

Has anyone else experience a side of the family which doesn't appear in any Roots Ireland records?
My Brady branch from Caherhurley, Clare all appear in Irish Genealogy Civil records but when I look on Roots Ireland nothing turns up.
I was looking for any baptism records, but I find it strange that even the Civil records aren't there when they are on IrishGenealogy.
01-10-2020, 11:35   #525
L1011

Roots Ireland do not have particularly good coverage in Clare.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion