Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Very strong winds developing south, east; storm watch late Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gales well inland, severe on coasts.

gfs-0-48.png?12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

At the end of the day, whether the low is deepening or filling is not really important, it is the pressure gradient that gives us the high winds.

Not far off a 30mb difference from north of Mayo to south of Cork for midday Saturday according to 12Z GFS.

291489.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

snubbleste wrote: »
    omnomnom.jpg

I think this was photoshopped guys...that green bit to the north-west of Scotland shouldn't be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Gales well inland, severe on coasts.

gfs-0-48.png?12

I dunno about well inland, but certainly for coastal counties in the west/southwest. Goinng to be some big waves on the Clare and Kerry coasts again.

48-602UK.GIF?30-12

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Have to say that Clare County Council are taking the threat very seriously and are working flat out along the coast to try and secure those areas that were badly affected last time.

There seems to a greater urgency this time, with some being told that the risk is greater this time due to a change in the wind direction accompanying the swell. Would that be correct? Any info would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The exact same thing hit me as well, I cant get over how quite it is given the new update and its likely to go Red.

I'm worried about this storm from what I'm reading about wave heights etc looks bad. You say it's likely to go Red. do you mean Met warning red? Why do you think this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

RoisinD wrote: »
    Have to say that Clare County Council are taking the threat very seriously and are working flat out along the coast to try and secure those areas that were badly affected last time.

There seems to a greater urgency this time, with some being told that the risk is greater this time due to a change in the wind direction accompanying the swell. Would that be correct? Any info would be appreciated.

Same in Galway Roisin, Council are warning about flooding and have put electronic signs warning people of the dangers and not to park cars in Salthill, I have a bad feeling about this storm given how high the tide will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I'm worried about this storm from what I'm reading about wave heights etc looks bad. You say it's likely to go Red. do you mean Met warning red? Why do you think this?

Thats just my feeling about it given how high the tide will be, hopefully it wont happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Red for parts of the coast that will be impacted with the Lunar Cycle of high tides coinciding with potential storm peak. As happened already earlier this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It's a combination of high spring tides combining with low pressure, strong onshore winds and very high seas. When those things stack up at the same time then you get the threat of coastal flooding. On top of that then you have some places that have had natural and manmade coastal defences damaged and eroded by the previous storms this winter, so that increases the risk further for those places.

Hopefully it won't turn out as bad as feared but it's good that they are taking it seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

An element of the urgency must be to do with the damage of the earlier storms not being fixed, and any weaknesses caused that time make further damage/ breaches likely I'd have thought? Notwithstanding the timing with the high tides.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dublin City Council putting full measures in place in anticipation of a near-repeat performance of 3 weeks ago

http://dublincity.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88275621&postcount=540

Looks like the spring tide was predicted to be slightly higher last time in Galway anyway. Its supposed to be 5.9m this time and it looks like 6.1m from this chart during the early January storm. Things hopefully wont be near as bad this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

which parts of the country will get the worst of this storm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

red_bairn wrote: »
    I think this was photoshopped guys...that green bit to the north-west of Scotland shouldn't be there!
    But then it would only have one eye :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

As far as i know the tides in the South West this Sat morning will be 10cm less than 3rd January last.
    I think the storm will still be significant and the coastal flooding threat very real.
    Looks like a tight gradient.

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/A_48hrbw.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

F4dh6IR.png

*photoshopped obviously :(

ECMWF 48 hour chart is not to be sniffed at.

Strong system and would only take a little more tightening to make it very troublesome.

ECM1-48.GIF?30-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I am laughing here reading all the concern/worry amongst the fervent weather watching regulars on this thread;
    "...I'm worried about this storm...I have a bad feeling about this storm...hopefully it wont happen...Hopefully it won't turn out as bad as feared...Things hopefully wont be near as bad this time...its likely to go Red..Fingers crossed..."

Give it up lads, you know deep down, in reality, ye want the biggest baddest megastorm to ever hit our shores and a super spring tide to make it 'perfect'! ;)

Let's face it, this time tomorrow, ye'll be so exciting that ye'll be jizzing all over your screens watching the models and windspeeds and wave heights!

:pac::D:p

I cant wait myself (as long as nobody gets hurt of course)...

hawkwing wrote: »
    A storm,floods,sleet + possibly snow for some if only briefly now imminent,at this stage of the "winter" i am surprised there are not more comments on here as this could well be the main event of what is left for this year's winter. Saturday could be very entertaining on high ground..

That's the spirit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

In strandhill today the sea was splashing the tops of the rocks on a calm day, Saturday they will surely have to close car parks in places like salthill, lahinch bertra... Oh hold on there's no bertra

There seems to be a fair few posters in the weather forum from Galway. I think we should all meet up at 6am on Saturday morning (Feb 1) at Blackrock diving board to watch the storm surges in the high tide. I cannot think of a better way to start the Spring.
    Heck while we're at it, we might as well strip off all our clothes, rub our bodies with goose fat and frolic in the surf while screaming like little girls...

Who is with me?!?

Nice one, I'll be there as soon as it gets bright...no thanks on the goose fat :)

Hmmm, worrying again for Westport. Bertra beach (arrowed) took a right smashing in the storms earlier this month. Acts as a barrier for locations further east. Tides were meant to have been 2 metres over the predicted levels in the area, hence all the damage done. There's a 5.0m tide predicted for Westport at 6.17am on the morning of the 1st.

I often saw that beach/spit from the top of Croagh Patrick and always meant to explore it. Is it gone now or just damaged?

Is there any snow on the reek today?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Let's keep in mind that the storm is rapidly occluding and the front, which is likely to become very active, will race eastward across Ireland during Friday morning (west) to mid-day (east) with the possibility of some squally showers or even thunderstorms, with hail. The gradient winds at that time are only around 40-70 km/hr but convection may double that locally, south coast and inland south may be most at risk (as far northeast as Kildare-Laois). This feature will be long gone before the main storm winds appear on the west coast, so that there may be a fairly long quieter interval for many lasting from mid-day Friday (west) to early morning Saturday.

As of 1800h the Canadian met service map shows a 967 mb low at 54.3N 30.8W and more recent satellite imagery gives a fix near 55N 29W. The occluding front is already east of 20W and may begin to show up on Shannon radar by midnight.

Strongest winds in the developing warm sector of this storm or near the cold front, from ship reports, are in the 50 knot range, there are several well-placed ships to sample the winds around the part of the circulation heading for southwest Ireland, we may get some interesting reports in the next hour as ships tend to report more frequently every 3h (more so every 6h).

With most reliable guidance showing minimum central pressures near 940 mb for a good part of the 24h before landfall, we cannot overstate the potential for coastal flooding and I think this storm could produce seas that are generally at least half if not one metre higher than the worst of the January events, in almost all the same places. So this may involve a bit more than shoreline installation damage, it may extend into severe flooding of near-shore communities and I would advise everyone in those areas to be on a level 3 alert despite the more widespread level 2 theme.

Moderators please note, I have passed the time limit on editing the original post, if you feel at any point that a level 3 heading is required, that will need moderator intervention. I would say level 3 applies to all coastal regions from about Westport around to Waterford, possibly Wexford, level 2 applies to all exposed locations south of a Mayo to Louth line, level 1 applies to less exposed locations and just to be on the safe side the rest of the north although realistically from Donegal to Antrim there would likely be rather subdued effects, certainly from wind, the tidal increase could be more of an issue. As to the east coast, I would speculate that the tidal increases might be similar to January because of the less favourable wind directions this time, as opposed to the larger volume of water coming at the south coast that has to move into the Irish Sea. So that will be interesting to compare, and caveat emptor that I am not very experienced at making tidal surge forecasts anyway (or I wasn't before this year).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm down in Cork this weekend for the first time in years, gonna be fun I reckon :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This map will outline the areas of high, moderate, low and negligible risk from the incoming storm system.

291545.jpg

In level 3 areas, winds could gust above 130 km/hr causing severe local damage and storm surges especially at the Saturday morning high tides could cause moderate to severe flooding and damage.

In level 2 areas, winds are likely to peak at 120 km/hr in gusts, causing some instances of moderate damage. Most level 2 areas are inland but where they reach coasts, expect isolated or less severe coastal damage from considerably above normal high tides.

In level 1 areas, winds are likely to peak at 110 km/hr in gusts and damage should be minor. Coastal areas could be impacted by moderate storm surges.

In the "watch" area largely confined to Ulster, the current indications suggest that winds will not exceed 100 km/hr in gusts and coastal impacts should be slight or moderate at worst.

In all cases some very exposed locations could see more severe conditions than their position on the map indicates. Conversely, some sheltered locations within each zone would experience a lower level of impacts. The key point in assessing your location is exposure to the southwest through west, as that will be the prevailing wind direction.

If I feel that the storm is changing significantly from this outlook I will update this warning / alert / watch map. A "watch" basically means that conditions may favour an alert in the future and at the present time no warning is imminently likely.

As discussed in a previous post, some rather active weather extends out well in advance of the main core of storm winds and will move through on Friday morning, mainly in the level 1 to isolated level 2 category at that time. Some spot flooding on roads may develop as this front moves through. The depicted map zones apply to expected conditions on Saturday 1 Feb from about 0300h to about 1500h with peak stormy conditions 0600h to 1100h.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

The weather of late has been so noisy with wind, rain, hail etc. .... it's a little eerie outside tonight - so very quiet here in the North Midlands! The CALM before the STORM .......!

I think MT Cranium is very responsible to suggest some coastal communities should take serious measures to protect themselves - given the forecast I would even suggest temporary evacuation of people living in certain areas, to ensure their safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

18z has the worst of it over west and south.
    Looks worse to me than anything so far this Winter for the South anyway.
    Coupled with high tides looks severe

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Dublin City Council putting full measures in place in anticipation of a near-repeat performance of 3 weeks ago

http://dublincity.wordpress.com/

U should tell them it's a west event!
    Taught this tread would have been way busier :)

• Advertisement

Yep, 18z pretty severe.

Very tight gradient..

gfs-0-42.png?18

And don't doubt the power of this system, a very violent and destructive storm just 18 hours from our coast but fortunately loses it's exceptional edge as it approaches the coast.

gfs-0-24.png?18

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement