Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Cloud Festival

• 24-06-2011 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Gavin Pretor-Pinney, author of The Cloudspotter's Guide, will headline the first Irish Cloud Festival in West Cork.

Gavin Pretor-Pinney will headline the first Irish Cloud Festival, hosted by The Irish Cloud Appreciation Society (TICAS), will take place in West Cork on the 26th and 27th July.

The Irish Cloud festival is the first of its kind internationally, and aims to satisfy the fast growing trend of Cloud Spotting.

Gavin Pretor-Pinney is the author of the best-selling book, The Cloudspotter's Guide and the Cloud Collector’s Handbook, and founder of the Cloud Appreciation Society in the UK. He is currently proposing that a new cloud type, Asperatus, should be added to the International Cloud Atlas — if he succeeds, this would be the first new official cloud type since 1951.

Along with clouds, the Festival will celebrate the natural elements of West Cork including fine West Cork foods, a cloud spotting picnic in the famous Sky Garden of Liss Ard House, and a cloud conference. The conference will feature a number of different speakers, including Rob Heyland Hans Wieland and John McKenna. The speakers will speak for short sessions on elements to do with clouds.

The Venue: The West Cork Hotel and Liss Ard EstateMuch of the Festival will take place in the West Cork Hotel, and gracious location in the centre of Skibbereen.

Liss Ard is a private estate situated in the heart of West Cork, just outside Skibbereen. The elegant house is surrounded by a delightful garden and forest, where the lake pathways, streams and ponds create an arcadian delight. The crown at the top of the hill is the Irish Sky Garden, with its unique and wonderful Crater, imagined by its creator, James Turrell, one day on a trip to an ancient stone circle.

The visit to Liss Ard will include a chance to see the recently restored James Turrell Crater, and there will be music and a chance to learn a bit about the natural physical elements of our world through a series of fun activities.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Class!!! I would love to go to that! what a great way to spend a couple of days of my hols! thanks Octo

Id love to go, would be great place to go camping during this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

If you haven't read his book, The Cloudspotter's Guide, you really should. Any regular on here would love it.

I have his Cloud Spotters Guide, the TV program saved on my sky box. I just love it. It was on BBC some time ago. Absolute class. Must get the book. Would really love the poster that the Cloud Appreciation Society has with the cloud identification on it. At the moment, that's what I have as my desktop picture at work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

They can just feck right off and take their clouds with them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Just got asked to do a short talk about my trip at the conference..

So ye...Another TRIP TO CORK for me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Iancar29 wrote: »

Congratulations on that. Is there many from this forum going to the conference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Iancar29 wrote: »

Well done.

I am seriously looking into going to that. Must see how it works out with holidays etc It would be lovely to hear your talk Iancar, it seems to have been a trip of a life time.

anyone else going?

WOOOHOOO Cloud Festival here I come! So looking forward to it :D

• Advertisement

eskimocat wrote: »
    WOOOHOOO Cloud Festival here I come! So looking forward to it :D

Glad to know ur goin! ... WOop!:cool:

Just giving this a bump in case anyone missed it..

I have a picnic blanket at the ready!!:D

Just giving this a bump in case anyone missed it..

I have a picnic blanket at the ready!!:D

Booking my train ticket and hotel room now :)

Was really nervous there for a while that we might end up in a blue cloud situation but i see from the other threads that while its warm, it might be cooler on the coasts so hopefully we will have some interesting clouds on the day!

Really looking froward to learning more about clouds. I am never quite clear about which is which once it gets into sub categories...

((esk busily packs notebook and pen...)) :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

There is plenty of clouds here at the minute(20 miles west of the festival location).

All set for Skibbereen! heading south a little early and the forecast is fixing to be pretty warm/hot so packing my suncream. ;)

The guest speakers are looking mighty interesting... including our very own Iancar :cool: Fingers crossed for a few clouds on the day.

Hopefully I will get all edu-m-cated and be able to talk with conviction about clouds as opposed to winging it like present LOL

Wish ye were all coming along, we could have our own weather beers nite, like they do on other forums... only we would probably talk snow and tornadoes late into the night! :D Could happen some day yet.. never say never...

SOo not ready to go down 2moro! .... NOT GOOD! haha

70 euro for a return train ticket...... :(:(:(:(:(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Plenty of clouds in west cork this morning and rain.

The first ever Irish cloud festival rocked! Congratulations to TICAS (The Irish Cloud Appreciation Society)

Although the skies did not offer the best of cloud performance, the group made the best of it.

The morning started with a stroll around Lis Ard estate and a visit to the crater that was built to give a unique vista to the sky... it was wonderful. A tasty lunch and then off to the conference.

There was a host of wonderful speakers including our very own Iancar, who by the way managed to mention boards.ie several times throughout his talk!:D Good Man Ian!

The highlight of the conference for me was when Gavin Pretor-Pinney gave his talk about cloud spotting and starting up the Cloud Appreciation Society. It was a wonderful mixture of science and aesthetics all delivered in a warm witty sense of humour!

Roll on 2012 and the next Irish Cloud Festival!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The first ever Irish cloud festival rocked! Congratulations to TICAS (The Irish Cloud Appreciation Society)

Although the skies did not offer the best of cloud performance, the group made the best of it.

The morning started with a stroll around Lis Ard estate and a visit to the crater that was built to give a unique vista to the sky... it was wonderful. A tasty lunch and then off to the conference.

There was a host of wonderful speakers including our very own Iancar, who by the way managed to mention boards.ie several times throughout his talk!:D Good Man Ian!

The highlight of the conference for me was when Gavin Pretor-Pinney gave his talk about cloud spotting and starting up the Cloud Appreciation Society. It was a wonderful mixture of science and aesthetics all delivered in a warm witty sense of humour!

Roll on 2012 and the next Irish Cloud Festival!! ;)

Sounds like you had a brilliant time Eskimocat :) I'm really sorry to have missed out but it's a definite for next years diary!

• Advertisement

Well Fionagus, they are hoping to having it in different locations and some of the members mentioned having it in the Sligo direction for next year. Time will tell ;)

Yes, totally loved it, feel so chilled out... :)

Advertisement