Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

deadly flood kills 4 people !!

• 18-07-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Warning: While this video does show the sometimes ferocious power of nature, some people may find it disturbing to watch.
    http://youtu.be/ptH1AMUVro4
    pray for their souls.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Well that was horrific, just goes to show the absolute deadliness in a flash flood, scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

that is shocking. Video should really be removed. Poor people. Horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

I really regret watching that.. god be with them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

markfla wrote: »

I think its good they uploaded and posted that video

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Jesus. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

weisses wrote: »

Why? What purpose does it serve?

weisses wrote: »
    markfla wrote: »

If it was your family would you think it was good to post it?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

It should be removed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

You don't have to watch it you know ... just don't click the link .... i saw it via an other link that said horrific accident 3 people died and i clicked to watch .... would be hypocritical for me to shout afterwards that it should be removed

This video hopefully saves more lives then that were lost

Wasn't fun to watch but i will have it in the back of my head when going into rivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

http://youtu.be/ptH1AMUVro4
    pray for their souls.

hey!
    might be an idea to tell people they are about to watch someone die - some of us aren't that into snuff movies
    thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You don't see them die and seemingly 1 or 2 survived ......to my total amazement. It is the most pointed warning I have ever seen about the danger of flash floods.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

RGDATA! wrote: »
    hey!
    - some of us aren't that into snuff movies
    thanks!

Honestly, a bit of a dramatic statement?

It was a fatal mistake. The video is tragic (to say the least) but at least 2 of 5 did survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

My problem with it would be whether the families of the deceased know about the video or have given permission for it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

Two of that five survived. Two of the victims are related (daughter and father) and the third is the girls friend. Such a tragedy, and just goes to show how quickly these situations evolve and become lethal - serene picnic site to death in less than a minute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

I didn't really know what to expect clicking that link to be honest, I know the thread title is a warning it it's self but I honestly think OP - That you should give warning that the video is quiet disturbing it's self.

All the same - thank you OP, I wasn't aware of the true danger of flash flooding tbh. It's horrific to think what the family are going through, also think of the poor people that witness that in front of their very eye's, while they could only stand and watch..

Also, please do not flame me for this next comment please, it's just how I feel, but - Those people that do get caught, they didn't make a true effort to get them selves out before the flood hit, there are about 10 other people that do get them selves out, while the remaining 5 didn't look phased until they were waist deep in water :(. I am to understand the area is known for these type of accidents, those people should have been prepared for the worst. It just goes to show that mother nature is the boss.

And again, just as some one else said, while this video remains on youtube, I hope it saves more lives than was lost :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I have edited the orginal post to inform people of the potentially disturbing content of the video. I don't feel it should be removed, as it may, as some have said, remind us to respect Mother Nature, and maybe save a life in so doing.

Here's a similar story in the states today of people showing total disregard for the dangers. No videos in this one!

http://www.thejournal.ie/three-presumed-dead-after-being-swept-over-yosemite-waterfall-182581-Jul2011/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Looking at that video just reminds me again of situations I've seen from my kayaking experiences. People just do not realise that moving water is actually that powerful, and that it's that hard to try and maintain position in a river when there is that much speed of water moving past.
    It takes training and experience to deal with flowing water and how to work around it. I've been in situations were a boat was pinned around a rock by water and it took a lot of work to retreive the boat. I've also been swimming (emergency exit from a kayak) in grade 4-5 whitewater and bouncing off the rocks, trying to keep some air in my lungs and trying to avoid getting trapped in the trees - I was lucky, I also was wearing the right equipment, and I had people nearby that were trained and had rescue equipment as well.
    Seeing these people getting swept off their feet and then getting pushed over the edge of that nasty-looking drop gives me the shivers.
    Respect moving water - always..

Advertisement