Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-07-2020, 17:00   #31
bored_newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alun View Post
So just back from Lidl. There's a small scanner at the till behind the perspex screen so you have to poke your phone through the not quite big enough hole to get it to scan your card. So far so good.

However I don't understand how they're applying the coupons. I had two activated, the €5 off if you spent €25 or more and the cookies for €1 instead of €2. I spent €63 so you'd expect me to have saved €6, right? Wrong!

The one for the cookies didn't work at all, and rather than simply deducting €5 from the total bill at the end as you would assume, it applied a discount to each and every item of about 7.5%.

Total savings were €5.36 in the end.

Confused.
Did you activate both? The app only mentions that you can't combine two monetary vouchers e.g. 0.50c off + €5 off

It says it will give an error if you try to activate two vouchers that can't be combined.
Advertisement
02-07-2020, 17:09   #32
Alun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored_newbie View Post
Did you activate both? The app only mentions that you can't combine two monetary vouchers e.g. 0.50c off + €5 off

It says it will give an error if you try to activate two vouchers that can't be combined.
I did, yes, and there was no error. Can't say I saw any mention of not combining offers anywhere, but that could be it I suppose.
02-07-2020, 17:11   #33
Alun

Quote:
Originally Posted by newaccount2017 View Post
This is why I asked earlier how do we scan this because as everyone knows- in Aldi or Lidl, they really rush you through the checkout and you have a ton of impatient shoppers breathing down your neck waiting to go next. It's stressful!!
As I mentioned, in my Lidl there's a hole, just about big enough to put a phone and your hand through to scan it. The scanner is quite small so maybe it's a bit picky, I don't know, but I didn't get any grief from the cashier.
02-07-2020, 17:19   #34
tajd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alun View Post
Ok, I've figured out that the €0.36 was the discount off the standard price of the cookies. They're normally €0.59 each, so €2.36 for four, and the packs of four are normally €2. So all those little amounts off each item did actually add up to €5 in the end. An odd way of doing it.
4 pack of cookies is €2 I got them for €1 they always been €2 for a four pack where I live
02-07-2020, 17:48   #35
Alun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajd View Post
4 pack of cookies is €2 I got them for €1 they always been €2 for a four pack where I live
I know, but on the till receipt it always showed the full price and then applied the discount afterwards bringing it down to €2 for some reason.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-07-2020, 18:06   #36
OmegaGene

Quote:
Originally Posted by newaccount2017 View Post
This is why I asked earlier how do we scan this because as everyone knows- in Aldi or Lidl, they really rush you through the checkout and you have a ton of impatient shoppers breathing down your neck waiting to go next. It's stressful!!
Since the social distancing cake in its not at all rushed anymore and nobody should be breathing down your neck
The scanner is easily accessible unless you have a monster sized mobile phone
02-07-2020, 18:22   #37
machiavellianme

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo1 View Post
I've just signed up there now, thanks OP. Some reasonable offers on it. The €5 off is showing on the front page for me.

Just as a side note. I use another app called StoCard (I'm on Android, dunno if it's on Apple). It allows you to put all your loyalty cards into the app and it works fine in Dunnes / Tesco / Supervalue etc. I just typed the Lidl card number into the app there and it shows the same image to be scanned so it should work. I like having all the cards in one location so I never forget them.

Its handy when "sharing" cards. I have the same app on my missus phone and I don't use SuperValu much and don't have a card so I popped my mams card into my app to give her points the few times we go there.

edit: I should have noted that some older supermarket scanners won't scan from a phone screen. In those cases it only takes a sec to type in the code.

Turn up the brightness and it usually scans successfully
(4) thanks from:
02-07-2020, 19:16   #38
Thargor

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavellianme View Post
Turn up the brightness and it usually scans successfully
The app turned up the brightness on my phone automatically, just on the scan QR code page, it lowered again when I backed out, never saw that before.

No problem with multiple offers in one transaction either, I used Nutella/apple juice/cookies/chicken all 50% off along with the €5 off €25 voucher in the one go with no issues, added a bottle of vodka to get it aswell so no alcohol issue either.
02-07-2020, 19:19   #39
Alun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
The app turned up the brightness on my phone automatically, just on the scan QR code page, it lowered again when I backed out, never saw that before.
Google Pay does it if you store passes in it, and some boarding pass apps do it as well.
Quote:
No problem with multiple offers in one transaction either, I used Nutella/apple juice/cookies/chicken all 50% off along with the €5 off €25 voucher in the one go with no issues, added a bottle of vodka to get it aswell so no alcohol issue either.
Weird that the cookies didn't work on mine then.
Advertisement
02-07-2020, 19:40   #40
Thargor

And I assume we were both in Bray?
02-07-2020, 19:46   #41
Amberjack

Just signed up, do you need to activate your offers in advance or can you leave it until your in store and when you do activate them, do they give you a code to use at the till or how does it work?
Thank
02-07-2020, 21:20   #42
Alun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
And I assume we were both in Bray?
Yep
Thanks from:
02-07-2020, 21:38   #43
Thargor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberjack View Post
Just signed up, do you need to activate your offers in advance or can you leave it until your in store and when you do activate them, do they give you a code to use at the till or how does it work?
Thank
As far as I can tell the offers say expiring in 7 days and they still say that after you activate them so not sure what the point of that is...

Anyway just hit activate on the ones you want in the app, bring the stuff to the till, scan the QR code on the new scanner at the till before you pay then just pay and all the discounts should appear on your receipt automatically.
(2) thanks from:
02-07-2020, 21:46   #44
Frank_1969

Tried to use it this evening and it wouldn't deduct the €5 off €25 but did give the almond ice creams at 50%..Lad on the till tried to put it through 3 times but no joy..His colleague intervened to say that the €5 off €25 was only available to staff at the moment but should work for me next time!!!😕
02-07-2020, 21:56   #45
CFC007

Used it this evening in the Belgard road store. No issues with using any of the offers. The digital receipts are handy in the app.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion