Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-10-2020, 21:28   #2056
Kenny Logins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whelo79 View Post
How would this drone compare to a mavic mini which is around the same price?
Mavic Mini is about one third of the weight and won't handle wind as well. Mavic might have slightly better camera quality but not up to 4k. Mavic will definitely have better support and warranty.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
22-10-2020, 02:07   #2057
MarkY91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaky View Post
In stock in CZ warehouse

https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-FIMI...r_warehouse=CZ

Try BGFIMIX899 to get it down to € 311
Just ordered this. Been using a tello drone to see if I would enjoy using a drone and love it even if it's just a toy/beginner drone.

Anything else you guys think I should order?
22-10-2020, 09:10   #2058
madmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkY91 View Post
Just ordered this. Been using a tello drone to see if I would enjoy using a drone and love it even if it's just a toy/beginner drone.

Anything else you guys think I should order?
I'm the same, I have a FIMI on the way but just bought the cheapest version I could find on Banggood and no accessories at all. Are the landing H pads in all the YouTube videos I see really important?

Thanks,
M
22-10-2020, 11:04   #2059
MarkY91

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmoe View Post
I'm the same, I have a FIMI on the way but just bought the cheapest version I could find on Banggood and no accessories at all. Are the landing H pads in all the YouTube videos I see really important?

Thanks,
M
Everyone seems to have a landing pad on YouTube. What price did you get charged? I got charged €328.26 using Revolut.

Been up until 4am watching videos of the drone haha. Some guy in Hawaii travelled the full 5km that they advertise it can do. Absolute madness.
Thanks from:
22-10-2020, 11:10   #2060
Hooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmoe View Post

Thanks,
M
Mine "landed" yesterday... sorry! Couldn't resist.

I've a mate who flys drones professionally - so I've zero actual experience myself BUT having seen his "smaller" drones landing, I'd be wary of the FIMI tipping to the side on uneven ground (damaging props) and I don't fancy those prop guards...

So, I'll be making a DIY landing pad ASAP.

Can't wait to take it on it's first flight - but have a lot of reading to do/vids to watch first! Especially around calibration.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-10-2020, 11:30   #2061
Kenny Logins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
Mine "landed" yesterday... sorry! Couldn't resist.

I've a mate who flys drones professionally - so I've zero actual experience myself BUT having seen his "smaller" drones landing, I'd be wary of the FIMI tipping to the side on uneven ground (damaging props) and I don't fancy those prop guards...

So, I'll be making a DIY landing pad ASAP.

Can't wait to take it on it's first flight - but have a lot of reading to do/vids to watch first! Especially around calibration.
It has an auto-land button on the controller and in the app and ultrasonic sensor on the bottom.

I've had racing quads in the past and very rarely "landed" , but this type of drone is much easier to handle - it'll do almost everything itself.
(2) thanks from:
22-10-2020, 11:35   #2062
Kenny Logins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
Don't be afraid to look daft by holding it out in front of you as you step around in circles to calibrate the compass. If you try to just rotate the drone itself, it's not as easy to do.
(2) thanks from:
22-10-2020, 11:40   #2063
Kenny Logins

BTW - IAA Registration is €5 at the moment but this will go up to €30 at the end of next month

https://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/...r-registration
(4) thanks from:
22-10-2020, 12:13   #2064
MarkY91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Logins View Post
BTW - IAA Registration is €5 at the moment but this will go up to €30 at the end of next month

https://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/...r-registration
Does everyone register? Like would I get a knock on the door from the Garda for flying my drone?

I'm really new to this, I have 1 day experience with a flimsy tello drone.

The maps show that drones are banned from the Phoenix park. I wonder why? Seems like the 1 place in Dublin where drones would be absolutely allowed

I'll definitely have to become a regular on the drone forum
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-10-2020, 12:58   #2065
Paddy_man

Send a message via MSN to Paddy_man Send a message via Yahoo to Paddy_man Send a message via Skype™ to Paddy_man
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkY91 View Post
Does everyone register? Like would I get a knock on the door from the Garda for flying my drone?

I'm really new to this, I have 1 day experience with a flimsy tello drone.

The maps show that drones are banned from the Phoenix park. I wonder why? Seems like the 1 place in Dublin where drones would be absolutely allowed

I'll definitely have to become a regular on the drone forum
You should register for sure, and you cant argue with a fiver really.

"Currently, all drones over 1kg and drones operated above 15m (50ft), must be registered with the IAA. However, on December 31st 2020 the EU drone Regulation comes into effect, which will require all drone operators using any drone over 250grams, or those with a camera or sensor to be registered. By registering with the IAA at this time you will automatically meet the new EU requirements. ."

They also send you a sticker with a registration number on it to mark your drone in case it gets lost.
(3) thanks from:
22-10-2020, 13:38   #2066
Interslice

Got the drone yesterday. Delivered within 2 weeks from czech warehouse. Fairly decent. Have it reggied and all ready to go.
22-10-2020, 14:00   #2067
Kenny Logins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy_man View Post

They also send you a sticker with a registration number on it to mark your drone in case it gets lost.
That changed in September. You register yourself now, not the drone. They give you a kind of cert to print out, but no stickers.
Thanks from:
22-10-2020, 14:17   #2068
Silent Running

Quote:
That changed in September. You register yourself now, not the drone. They give you a kind of cert to print out, but no stickers.
I got my sticker in the post on the 25th of September, but registered a couple of weeks before that, so it must have changed in the meantime.
22-10-2020, 14:40   #2069
Kenny Logins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Running View Post
I got my sticker in the post on the 25th of September, but registered a couple of weeks before that, so it must have changed in the meantime.
Was that through IAA or MySRS? Did you have register a drone model and serial number?
Thanks from:
22-10-2020, 14:51   #2070
Silent Running

Quote:
Was that through IAA or MySRS? Did you have register a drone model and serial number?
IAA, no serial number was asked for, the make, model and weight was though, IIRC.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion