Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Argos RIP thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Sparkles2012

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7502996/Trail/searchtext%3EACER+SWIFT+LAPTOP+.htm

I am looking to buy an Acer Laptop is the one in the link above good? It seems a great reduction in price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wintertime

Hi there, Looking for some advice. Ordered something through the Agros website and got a reservation number. Went to collect it today (could collect yesterday, today or tomorrow) and they didn't have it. Spoke to the manager and he said that they had no stock and no stock was ever assigned to my reservation number. In my book that is FRAUD if you are selling an item you don't have in stock. I was told to re order but as i had got this item at a discount I would miss this discount if I have to re order. I am also very annoyed having to travel to their shop which also cost me time and money. I believe they have a duty to honour this reservation!

Who should I report this to? Argos doesn't have a head office here in Ireland which is also a bit weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

wintertime wrote: »
    Hi there, Looking for some advice. Ordered something through the Agros website and got a reservation number. Went to collect it today (could collect yesterday, today or tomorrow) and they didn't have it. Spoke to the manager and he said that they had no stock and no stock was ever assigned to my reservation number. In my book that is FRAUD if you are selling an item you don't have in stock. I was told to re order but as i had got this item at a discount I would miss this discount if I have to re order. I am also very annoyed having to travel to their shop which also cost me time and money. I believe they have a duty to honour this reservation!

Who should I report this to? Argos doesn't have a head office here in Ireland which is also a bit weird.

How can you possibly reorder if they have no stock? Is the item in stock now?

If they're planning on getting more stock in then your original order should be fulfilled and price honoured. I've always found argos to be good at honouring reservations even when late to collect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Double check the email and see if there is an actual reservation number. It's common in situations that you can make a reservation for an item due in a few days time but not get an actual number beside the reservation space.

They don't have any duty to honor any reservation by the way. The same way even if you reserved something for a set price, the day you go in to collect they can say "oh sorry that's a mis-price, the actual price is x."

Look up invitation to treat. It's not fraud. What has happened for years is that Argos usually are very very good at honouring price mismatches. They don't legally have to tho. They do it for customer good will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wintertime

Yawns wrote: »
    Double check the email and see if there is an actual reservation number. It's common in situations that you can make a reservation for an item due in a few days time but not get an actual number beside the reservation space.

They don't have any duty to honor any reservation by the way. The same way even if you reserved something for a set price, the day you go in to collect they can say "oh sorry that's a mis-price, the actual price is x."

Look up invitation to treat. It's not fraud. What has happened for years is that Argos usually are very very good at honouring price mismatches. They don't legally have to tho. They do it for customer good will.

Thanks for your reply. I have a reservation number on the email. The manager said they have no stock and he checked my reservation number and said that no stock was assigned to my number and suggested I reorder another time so I guess that they must plan on getting more in. I found both him and the other staff member couldn't explain why no stock was assigned to my reservation number BUT were not helpful.

Had never heard of invitation to treat but in my book this is FRAUD. I went there to collect an item I had ordered to collect there!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Thanks for your reply. I have a reservation number on the email. The manager said they have no stock and he checked my reservation number and said that no stock was assigned to my number and suggested I reorder another time so I guess that they must plan on getting more in. I found both him and the other staff member couldn't explain why no stock was assigned to my reservation number BUT were not helpful.

Had never heard of invitation to treat but in my book this is FRAUD. I went there to collect an item I had ordered to collect there!

Well your book may need a reprint cos it aint fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Lego Ninjago set is bloody huge, great price

It's a very unusual case for Argos tho tbh. It's clearly an error with the system. If you are nice and polite, ask him can they extend your reservation number for when the stock comes in and assign the item for the price on reservation. It may be possible.

Altho I hope you didn't tell the manager it was fraud, because as has been said, it's certainly not.

Yes I picked a set up last week and the girl who took the order was shocked. She was asking the guy why he brought that out. He said that's what was to be sent out. They double checked the number in front of me before handing it over. It had already been paid for at the til 2 minutes previously so they had no chance of refusing it at that time.

It was still €70 at the time in smyths..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

sorry i missed that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Over-react much?

I'd tell you all of the reasons you're wrong and what's incorrect about your post but I think that's pretty much already been covered.
    Yawns wrote: »
    It's a very unusual case for Argos tho tbh. It's clearly an error with the system. If you are nice and polite, ask him can they extend your reservation number for when the stock comes in and assign the item for the price on reservation. It may be possible.

Altho I hope you didn't tell the manager it was fraud, because as has been said, it's certainly not.

Try the above approach highlighted in bold. I think you'll find people (esp. in retail) are far more amenable to you with this than blowing a fuse in anger. I (and many others on here) can testify to how accommodating Argos usually are in situations like the one outlined - and which they have no legal obligation to do btw.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7502996/Trail/searchtext%3EACER+SWIFT+LAPTOP+.htm

I am looking to buy an Acer Laptop is the one in the link above good? It seems a great reduction in price.

Brand new processor (its a 4 core, 4 HT processor- with burst mode up to 3.6Ghz).
    Nice display
    Nice storage (256Gb SSD)
    8Gb RAM- plenty for a W10 system

The only disappointing part of the specs for the laptop- is the integrated graphics- however, even that isn't a deal breaker- Intel integrated graphics are a lot better than they used be.

Its quite powerful- a good all-rounder- and an absolute no-brainer (unless you're a gamer- in which case a discrete graphics option is a must).

Brand new platform- its the most power Ui5 processor you can get- and its remarkably power efficient (this is one of the 15W systems).

If I were buying a new laptop- I'd be very happy to nab this.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

Bush fridge freezer 149.99. Seems to be a mis price. Item number 541/9012

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

keavebm wrote: »
    Bush fridge freezer 149.99. Seems to be a mis price. Item number 541/9012

Out of stock

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

Out of stock

Was in stock when posted

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Was in stock when posted

If anyone has a code for Galway/Castlebar and doesn't want it I'll more than happily take it. We're on the look out for a second fridge for the new apartment as the one we have is more like a beer fridge :pac::(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Was in stock when posted

I racked my head for an hour- but couldn't think of what to do with another fridge. Hopefully some of ye got one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Probably not a misprice, it's £115 in the English stores... but still, it's a good bargain for somebody kitting out a flat or something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Didn't realize how big a set it was amazing value. Was even cheaper when I picked it up today @€;19.39 :D Might be worth checking later some might appear in stock if people don't pick up their reservations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Ryath wrote: »
    Didn't realize how big a set it was amazing value. Was even cheaper when I picked it up today @€;19.39 :D Might be worth checking later some might appear in stock if people don't pick up their reservations.

Which set ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Which set ??

Was in no chat Argos thread
    http://www.checkargos.com/product/7285976

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

If you can't find Lego Ninjago from Irish store, try their ebay store

Price is €19.39 + €6.99 delivery to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Canonfan wrote: »

Out of stock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭VanZan

p225886 wrote: »
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7119640.htm?desktopSiteActive=true&_$ja=tsid%3A30390%7Cprd%3A8088783
    Lego star wars destroyer no stock but can be ordered. Reduced from 125 to 42. Perfect for Christmas.

What's the story with stuff you "order"? Do they text/email you when it's ready for collection? Or do you just have to keep checking the store?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

VanZan wrote: »
    What's the story with stuff you "order"? Do they text/email you when it's ready for collection? Or do you just have to keep checking the store?

text and or email depending on if you give them both or not when it's available for collection - you normally get 24-48 hours to collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Macker2001

Canonfan wrote: »

Just want to say thanks for this. It's on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I can see the Lego being called a misprice and not honoured.
    Happened me last week with a Lavazza coffee set.
    Got the messages saying ready for collection sent the wife up cause she was going to the cinema and the extremely rude red haired female manager told her she couldn't have it for €4 but could pay €16 for it because it was a misprice.
    I emailed Argos and got a call back from an English accent all apologies saying I shouldn't have got the message because there physically wasn't any stock, I said if that's the case why was my wife given the opportunity to buy them for €16, you can imagine how silent she went after this saying she would contact the store and get back to me straight away.

That was last Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭VanZan

I thought it must be a misprice too but I checked the Argos Ireland eBay store and it's the same price there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I thought it must be a misprice too but I checked the Argos Ireland eBay store and it's the same price there too!

Which for some strange reason is in the UK :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

When I try to order to reserve now it doesn't go through

Advertisement