Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-10-2020, 09:51   #1621
DopeTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMan View Post
Yeah. The PM pricing strategy needs a refresh. Their target audience seems to be a mix of elderly who go into Post Offices, people who perceive An Post as offering good customer care and those who want to stay on the Vodafone network but with a better value package (albeit there is now very little difference to Vodafone X).

At some point Vodafone are going to have to do something to compete with web-based-only operators like 48 and GoMo. Unlikely that Vodafone will use PM as a route to market but maybe they might consider that option.
Or they could just make Vodafone better value to match 48/gomo. If they done that they would clean up. I know it'll never happen but it would be one way of clawing back lost market share.

Last edited by DopeTech; 21-10-2020 at 09:56.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-10-2020, 10:27   #1622
JTMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeTech View Post
Or they could just make Vodafone better value to match 48/gomo. If they done that they would clean up. I know it'll never happen but it would be one way of clawing back lost market share.
It will never happen because it would cause too much loss of revenue from their existing base many of whom are on expensive packages.

The route to market for Vodafone is surely a shadow brand like they did in the UK and Italy to complete with web-based operators.
Thanks from:
21-10-2020, 12:06   #1623
westie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by physioman View Post
It works currently for me in 4g modem. Will see what happens come the 6th june
Is vodafone X still working for you in a modem with more than 10mbps?
21-10-2020, 22:52   #1624
CyberGhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGhost View Post
Good point.

I've been onto Vodafone - went to their store, called their support, etc. Nobody seemed to be able to figure it out. Now they've escalated it to level 2 support, and promised to sort it out and call me back in a few days.
Received the new SIM card. Mega.nz works with it. So there you go. They could not figure out how to make the old one work. I also know how the support works in IT companies generally, so I would be amazed if anybody actually bothered to investigate and look deeply into the issue. Probably tried something basic, replied to the ticket and said they've "fixed" it.

The content was unblocked from start (because I entered my details during the order process).
Thanks from:
22-10-2020, 09:53   #1625
physioman

Quote:
Originally Posted by westie97 View Post
Is vodafone X still working for you in a modem with more than 10mbps?
Yip still getting 50mbps + speeds. No throttling of speeds.
Advertisement
22-10-2020, 18:04   #1626
corks finest

Quote:
Mine is up n down
23-10-2020, 23:31   #1627
theintern

The throttling is hit and miss. I occasionally get 50 plus down, but just ran a test and got 10 both directions. So it seems pretty random.
27-10-2020, 22:01   #1628
homingbird

Quote:
Are you a heavy user as i am about to give it another try if i am not throttled.
29-10-2020, 17:58   #1629
physioman

Quote:
Originally Posted by homingbird View Post
Are you a heavy user as i am about to give it another try if i am not throttled.
Not really maybe 80gb a month. I was on previous x plan so maybe for new users it is throttled
Advertisement
31-10-2020, 13:57   #1630
CyberGhost

Looks like 10mbps speed is in effect now. At least for me. Not going over 10.

But what is still good is that for the first few seconds the burst of speed goes up to 20-25mbps and that is fast enough to download pages quickly so the slower speed is not really noticeable.

4K video on YouTube stutters though, just so you know. 1080p is fine.
31-10-2020, 20:18   #1631
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGhost View Post
Looks like 10mbps speed is in effect now. At least for me. Not going over 10.

But what is still good is that for the first few seconds the burst of speed goes up to 20-25mbps and that is fast enough to download pages quickly so the slower speed is not really noticeable.

4K video on YouTube stutters though, just so you know. 1080p is fine.
Mine was stuck on 10 man now back to 35
31-10-2020, 21:24   #1632
dowtchaboy

I've noticed a deterioration since the new regime came into effect. I'm getting 5 to 12 Mbps dn, and about half that up, which is just fine for my needs. But I'm getting a lot of what seems to be a total absence of internet for 5, 10 seconds, or even a minute at times. Yet Ookla gives decent ping and data rate figures. TBH I don't have "full bars" most of the time.
Is it likely to do with a less than perfect signal strength, or is there some DHCP/DNS outage (I'm not a network expert!) going on here? When I go to a new page, even to Google, nothing happens for seconds/minutes and then everything flows along nicely once I get there. Change to a new website and duh.....

I have FTTH (Eir's Rural Broadband) on the pole outside the farmhouse, and my neighbour is luxuriating in 150mbps no contention bliss for €30/mth, which is looking very tempting. It's €30 I'd rather keep in my pocket, and I'm not a gamer nor 4k TV viewer, but this stop/go crud is getting to me.
(2) thanks from:
31-10-2020, 23:11   #1633
CoBo55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowtchaboy View Post
I've noticed a deterioration since the new regime came into effect. I'm getting 5 to 12 Mbps dn, and about half that up, which is just fine for my needs. But I'm getting a lot of what seems to be a total absence of internet for 5, 10 seconds, or even a minute at times. Yet Ookla gives decent ping and data rate figures. TBH I don't have "full bars" most of the time.
Is it likely to do with a less than perfect signal strength, or is there some DHCP/DNS outage (I'm not a network expert!) going on here? When I go to a new page, even to Google, nothing happens for seconds/minutes and then everything flows along nicely once I get there. Change to a new website and duh.....

I have FTTH (Eir's Rural Broadband) on the pole outside the farmhouse, and my neighbour is luxuriating in 150mbps no contention bliss for €30/mth, which is looking very tempting. It's €30 I'd rather keep in my pocket, and I'm not a gamer nor 4k TV viewer, but this stop/go crud is getting to me.
I wouldn't consider using mobile bb as my only connection if FTTH was outside the door, there's just no comparison.
(4) thanks from:
02-11-2020, 01:40   #1634
dowtchaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBo55 View Post
I wouldn't consider using mobile bb as my only connection if FTTH was outside the door, there's just no comparison.
As a techie, having been in this game from the days of converting teletypes and IBM Selectrics to work over 50 baud lines, I'd love to have FFTH just to see data move at rates we couldn't have imagined. I'm renting though and I always think I'll find my real home "real soon" so don't want to sign up for 18 months. I've been saying that for 24 months now! Maybe I need to bite the bullet. Or maybe run a Cat 6 cable across to my neighbour? Hmmmm...
( apologies for going off the thread topic)
02-11-2020, 08:48   #1635
westie97

Has anyone tried Vodafone unlimited max in the bill pay plans. There no speed limit or data cap. Do ye think Vodafone could detect I have it in a modem and attempt to charge me a crazy bill at the end of the month that I would be legally obligated to pay?
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion