Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Also something to factor in is, with a crate you can see exactly what you're getting. I've been caught before with the tonne bags, in that there's good stuff on the top but rubbish at the bottom - small fiddly bits, sawdust etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Went with the coopsuperstore
    Need hardwood for my wood burning stove.it looks like a good deal will report back how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is that a genuine discount? Would this normally be €289 or is that a home store and more price?:D

Also, which is better burn. Ash or oak?

Any feedback on this - is that €200 deal from Coop best value at the moment?

Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

stamjoe wrote: »
    What's the weight?..

Heavy wood is wet wood. You need to buy by volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Wondering what this crate would compare to in terms of the standard ton bags. From the looks I'd almost say 1 1/2 loose packed bags to the stacked crate but have zero experience. Anyone got any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wondering what this crate would compare to in terms of the standard ton bags. From the looks I'd almost say 1 1/2 loose packed bags to the stacked crate but have zero experience. Anyone got any ideas?

I can't comment on this specific crate obviously but last year I ordered wood from two different places over the course of the winter.

One had a tonne back that was stated as containing roughly 1.4m3 of wood and the other place delivered a stacked 1m3 crate. The crate had more wood in it and bigger logs to boot (mind you it was a good 70 euro more expensive than the other place but the seemed better quality and all ash where as the other was mixed hardwood).

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭quagmire47

legend99 wrote: »

Tks

I ordered from the Co-Op website on Wednesday and the crate was delivered this morning.. The crate is 1m3 and is stacked full. The logs are a very good size and comparable to the logs I've got in the past from other sellers.
    Last year I ordered a smaller quantity from a different retailer (0.25m3 bag) because of storage issues in my place at the time. That bag was nearly €70 delivered so I'm delighted with the value from Co-Op considering there is a shed load more logs in there :D I was initially concerned about buying based on weight as I would usually buy based on volume but I'm very happy with what has been delivered.

The people at Co-Op were great to deal with as were the couriers. I had initially ordered the oak by mistake and there was no trouble switching the other for ash. All in all I'm delighted I went with them. I would recommend them based on my experience. Hope this helps. :)

quagmire47 wrote: »
    I ordered from the Co-Op website on Wednesday and the crate was delivered this morning.. The crate is 1m3 and is stacked full. The logs are a very good size and comparable to the logs I've got in the past from other sellers.
    Last year I ordered a smaller quantity from a different retailer (0.25m3 bag) because of storage issues in my place at the time. That bag was nearly €70 delivered so I'm delighted with the value from Co-Op considering there is a shed load more logs in there :D I was initially concerned about buying based on weight as I would usually buy based on volume but I'm very happy with what has been delivered.

The people at Co-Op were great to deal with as were the couriers. I had initially ordered the oak by mistake and there was no trouble switching the other for ash. All in all I'm delighted I went with them. I would recommend them based on my experience. Hope this helps. :)

Have you any pics of the crate ?
    I have a big shed so storage is no problem if I buy again

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

quagmire how big was the truck that delivered? Did it have a tail lift? Ive got some access issues in a narrow estate so worried the delivery might be troublesome

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

legend99 wrote: »

Tks

Agree with other feedback mentioned here by quagmire47

Very fast delivery and 1x1x1m packed solid out

Whatever timber the crate is it’s very heavy wood and will be chopped up for kindling

Had a 20’ with a taillift and a motorised pallet truck

Seems like the coop use The Pallet Network

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    few people i know swear by this crowd

http://corkkilndriedfirewood.ie/

Terrible website

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭quagmire47

Muahahaha wrote: »
    quagmire how big was the truck that delivered? Did it have a tail lift? Ive got some access issues in a narrow estate so worried the delivery might be troublesome

A big lorry delivered the pallet and yes, it had a tail lift. The driver had a pallet truck as well to off load. He was sound out in fairness and maneuvered the pallet into my garage for me.

This is the courier: https://kldeliveries.goldenpages.ie/ms/ms/k-l-deliveries-ltd-courier-service-cork/ms-90035623-p-2/

I've attached a photo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,622 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Terrible website

Sorry about that

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Sorry about that

No sweat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Ordered Wens aswell got a call to say it will be at my house Monday. Not too bad.

Tempted to get another one. How long should one crate last?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Ordered Wens aswell got a call to say it will be at my house Monday. Not too bad.

Can't really answer....How often do you light the fire, how big's the stove, lighting all day or just the evening.

When I used to light it every evenings a crate would last me 2 months. When I was just lighting it at weekends would get most of the winter out of it. Stove is a room heater about 8 or 9kw I think

quagmire47 wrote: »
    A big lorry delivered the pallet and yes, it had a tail lift. The driver had a pallet truck as well to off load. He was sound out in fairness and maneuvered the pallet into my garage for me.

This is the courier: https://kldeliveries.goldenpages.ie/ms/ms/k-l-deliveries-ltd-courier-service-cork/ms-90035623-p-2/

I've attached a photo too.

When you say big lorry was it bigger than this? Thats probably as big that can get to my front door
    95732880-ac23-4b80-9df8-cf90b71ff828_LARGE.jpg

And the hand truck they had, was there a motor on it or just manual pulling? A large truck could get to 80m of my house but after that it would have to be a hand truck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Can't really answer....How often do you light the fire, how big's the stove, lighting all day or just the evening.

When I used to light it every evenings a crate would last me 2 months. When I was just lighting it at weekends would get most of the winter out of it. Stove is a room heater about 8 or 9kw I think

It's only a little 3KW one in the sitting room so only does that one room and will at most be wens to sunday. And most days we are in bed by 9 :)

I see they have there crates of firewood excluded from free delivery on there site now
    https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/basket

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

ablelocks wrote: »
    bumping for winter 2019...

spotted this on the coop store website

600kg kiln dried ash €199.99

oak available too...
    Mallow coop store had 2 for 360
    Euro Friday last

• Advertisement

Did they ring the next day after you ordered ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ordered on thursday (still had free delivery at that point), no word from them yet. Status says shipped on the site though.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Ordered on thursday (still had free delivery at that point), no word from them yet. Status says shipped on the site though.

Iam the same ordered Thursday evening no word

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

naughto wrote: »
    I see they have there crates of firewood excluded from free delivery on there site now

i was wondering if they would honour it in the first place

fair play to them for doing so

i ordered some heavy enough items before from them and they turned up

naughto wrote: »

Oak and Ash seem to be gone completely from sale from their website

Oak and Ash seem to be gone completely from sale from their website

Just noticed that and I was intending to order from them today :(

edit- I rang them and he said they completely sold out over the weekend and that they are not expecting to get them back in anytime soon. He also said they have beech crates for €199 but that it is 430kgs and not the 600kg that ash/oak was.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just noticed that and I was intending to order from them today :(

edit- I rang them and he said they completely sold out over the weekend and that they are not expecting to get them back in anytime soon. He also said they have beech crates for €199 but that it is 430kgs and not the 600kg that ash/oak was.

Wouldn't worry about the weight if it's the same size crate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

not really unless the ash and oak is carrying massive amounts more water

that's a massive weight difference, i reckon the 600kg was a tad optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scolly

Ordered last Wednesday and delivered yesterday morning. Crate is full and timber is perfect size for stove.
    Was a great deal delivered and all to the North West for 200 Euro
    Thanks OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭brophs

Did everyone get a notification in advance of the delivery date? I ordered Friday afternoon and haven’t heard anything so far. Will they call the morning of or will they just turn up?

Advertisement