Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-09-2015, 20:30   #1
Muahahaha

The Steak Thread

A thread to share discounts on steaks and any products to do with eating steaks, be it sauces or steak knives. But mainly steaks.

Feel free to update with any discounts you see on steaks in the main supermarkets so we can all share in the meaty feast

At the moment Aldi are doing 2 Striploins for €6 on their Super 6, which is down from €7. The steaks themselves are 190g each which is just under 7oz and might be small for some. But I can atest to their tastiness
https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range...oin-steakss-1/

Lidl are currently doing 2 Ribeyes for €6 which is a bargain given they're normally €8.29. I just scoffed one there and it was very tender meat. They are 225g a steak, which is just over 8oz. They're 21 day aged too.
http://www.lidl.ie/en/freshoffers.ht...etail&id=30797
Advertisement
29-09-2015, 23:00   #2
vicwatson

Aldi striploins are 25 day matured
Thanks from:
29-09-2015, 23:03   #3
BoJack Horseman

Ok.... probably silly question.

How is meat aged without it spoiling?
And why should I care that it is aged at all?
Thanks from:
29-09-2015, 23:04   #4
john the one

What would you consider a nice size steak?

I find an 8oz fillet a little small for my liking.

I think 12oz is good for me
29-09-2015, 23:10   #5
vicwatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJack Horseman View Post

Natural enzymes in the meat breakdown the structure over time = tender meat
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-09-2015, 23:28   #6
BoJack Horseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicwatson View Post
Natural enzymes in the meat breakdown the structure over time = tender meat
And this is while refrigerated?
Thanks from:
30-09-2015, 00:41   #7
Officer Giggles

Quote:

If you recall in the film Rocky where he's training in the walk in refrigerated unit boxing the carcass that's hanging from the roof...... Well that is one way of ageing steak, it's aged so the enzymes break down the tissue in order to make the meat tender
30-09-2015, 00:50   #8

http://www.musgravemarketplace.ie/_u..._FINAL_LR2.pdf
(3) thanks from:
30-09-2015, 01:25   #9
vibe666

Send a message via ICQ to vibe666 Send a message via MSN to vibe666 Send a message via Skype™ to vibe666
Quote:
And this is while refrigerated?
yes.

(generally speaking) all meat is 'aged' before it is sold, but how meat producers go about it and how long it takes varies depending on the type of meat and how much they want to spend doing it.

to "dry age" beef, it will generally be hung as a whole carcass (or a side) and refrigerated in a very specific environment, very low humidity, and a constant temp of between 1-3 degrees in a well ventilated area and has to be monitored to ensure it doesn't spoil.

this can be anything up to 30 days, but will need a minimum of 11 days and usually 20-25 days is the optimum length of time for a good bit of meat as the chances of the meat spoiling increases with each day it is hung.

a couple of different things happen during this time. the water in the meat starts to evaporate, which on it's own will concentrate the flavours and will (as a side effect) shrink the meat, and make it more tasty than if you'd just eaten it on day one.

also, and in just these perfect conditions the normal chemical processes in the meat that happen when the cow is still alive can continue, so the cells still absorb oxygen from the blood, which produces lactic acid which (as it's not being used for anything else since the cow is dead) in turn breaks down the cell walls and connective tissues of the meat, making it much more tender and flavourful as well as changing the colour from light red to a much darker colour.

the downsides to dry aging beef is that it shrinks quite a lot (up to 15%), so you lose volume), and some of the outside may need to be cut away depending on how long it was aged for and how successful the process was.

obviously, as this is a slow process, the meat has to be stored in a specific environment and monitored constantly, so it's not cheap.

by comparison, wet aging takes only 4-10 days, so it's a lot cheaper and only needs basic refrigeration which can be done in transit to wherever the meat is being sold. the short version is that it gets shrink wrapped and hermetically sealed in plastic right after it's slaughtered.

it is "wet aged" as (due to being sealed in) none of the moisture escapes, so that 10-15% loss in volume you get with dry aging meat doesn't happen, plus the enzyme breakdown still has enough time to happen (just about) so by the time it gets to your plate, it will have an *acceptable* flavour compared to non-dry aged meat.

you can pretty much guarantee that unless your meat is labelled as dry aged, it will have been wet aged. anyone who loves a good steak will generally go for a dry aged cut if possible.

Last edited by vibe666; 01-10-2015 at 00:52.
(82) thanks from:
2smiggy, afatbollix, ALS, ancapailldorcha, AnonoBoy, Apollo Refined Electrician, BaZmO*, beardybrewer, BigAl81, BK92, blue note, bluecherry74, Boards.ie, BoJack Horseman, brevity, Buford T. Justice XIX, CantGetNoSleep, clever user name, DANNY2014, darlett, denis160, Diamond Doll, DoctorStrange, Dont be at yourself, Doodah7, Doodlebug, dubal, erada, FatB, frag420, Fr_Dougal, Furzy, Gongoozler, GoodBridge, Hogzy, inforfun, Into The Blue, IvoryTower, JohnDaniels, juke, killbillvol2, KNS, Krusty_Clown, landmarkjohn, Liam McPoyle, macjohn, mac_daddy, mark_jmc, mik_da_man, MisterDrak, Mr. CooL ICE, msmx5, Muahahaha, Murph_D, NOS3, OneOfThem, ozozo, Pablo Rich Illness, Paddy The Pirate, Padraig Mor, parttime, PirateShampoo, PMBC, pow wow, pwurple, Ri_Nollaig, Satriale, Shaque attack, Sir Oxman, Sub430, sweetie, Thargor, TheMilkyPirate, Titzon Toast, tmabr, tonic wine, Tony, Trond, ucd.1985, Umaro, vangoz, yannakis
Advertisement
30-09-2015, 07:36   #10
dan185

So is it a bargain alert thread on steak or just a thread on steaks??
30-09-2015, 07:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan185 View Post
A curious soul just asked about the aging process.

What's your beef?

30-09-2015, 07:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Business Cat View Post
A curious soul just asked about the aging process.

What's your beef?

Looks like mutton dressed as lamb to me

Gets coat.
30-09-2015, 08:39   #13
k123456

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan185 View Post
It is both, if for some reason, you are not interested in the post on aging steaks, you can of course not read it
30-09-2015, 09:07   #14
dan185

Quote:
Originally Posted by k123456 View Post
It is both, if for some reason, you are not interested in the post on aging steaks, you can of course not read it
Oh but I am interested in the bargain possibilities of steak. Which is why I'd read a thread in this forum about it
30-09-2015, 09:23   #15

The best and tastiest cuts of steak will always be premuim price for same reason,you get what you pay for

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion