Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
28-10-2020, 23:30   #4966
scamalert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plisken View Post
So just to clarify if I did sign up for say Eir and they run the fibre and install their equipment I have 14 days to back out of the contract with no hidden charges?
I take it they would come in via the same conduit as the old phone lines and upc use there might be a blockage as upc tried to run new co-axial up it a few years ago and hit a blockage.
Also standard junction box at side of house I would want installer to do a short run up to room above it. Take it shouldn't be an issue for them.
As for 2 years being a long contract I've been with Virgin/UPC/NTL for well over 20 years as they have been the only game in town for decent speeds up until now.
switched to VF, and the bold part was an issue, they do standard run as close to meter box or whatever, if it comes underground, and while i can see it would be easy enough for em to put it anywhere, in most cases its no bueno, so youd really want to call and make sure once the first engineers come over, to exactly measure and mount cable where it would go, as in my case they came over while i was away, left few meters, and final insallers came and done usual close to main entrance connection, which is 90% in most siro areas done as standard placement even thou it makes f all sense really in terms of coverage unless your all main wifi usage is downstairs.


on positive side VF only took a week from order to final setup and go.
their router has wider range, if your on ground floor it can easily do 40-60 feet, with interference's upper floors gain is about 20-30mb, vs if you had VM hub sitting as twice as close.


as mentioned above if you expect some decent wifi speeds no ISP router will compete with decent aftermarket one and some wifi booster plugs or even mesh setup is required, as on wired you get close to 1gb no probs, but on wifi say on mobile being beside router on phone id pull 300mb, on likes of samsung note 9, its closer to 500mb, but to get anything above youd need extra hardware to get even past 500mb round house on just wifi.
scamalert is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-10-2020, 23:48   #4967
oconnorw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 118
Just to note with eir you have 14 days from contract start date and not installation date to back out of the contract. I will be interested to hear your experience of how long they took to do the installation and delivery of router. Three customer service leaves nothing to be desired. I wish you luck.
oconnorw is offline  
29-10-2020, 00:52   #4968
bdmc5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Conductor View Post
The wireless is only as good as the wifi router you're using.
It doesn't matter how fast your internet connection is- if you are relying on a wifi router using old technology- or cheap components, your connection speed will never be anything like its theoretical max. If you are relying on the wireless router from Siro or Virgin- you are short changing yourself.
Im well aware of this already if you read my previous comments here . I never said I was expecting 1GB speed wirelessly. I was pointing out wireless speed of VF 1GB was often less than the Virgin 360mbs plan I was on.

I even swapped out the VF router and used netgear mesh solution instead and still the Virgin connection and old router was faster

Since upgrading with Virgin I’m waiting for 1GB box Im now getting the full 500mbs the box is capable of up from 360 and getting wirlesss speeds in excess of 420Mbs at peak evening times. VF connection, not just the router dropped far too much in the evening. Looking forward to seeing what the Virgins 1GB offers hardwired and wirelessly.

Last edited by bdmc5; 29-10-2020 at 00:58.
bdmc5 is offline  
Thanks from:
29-10-2020, 01:27   #4969
Snake Plisken
Registered User
 
Snake Plisken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 7,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamalert View Post
switched to VF, and the bold part was an issue, they do standard run as close to meter box or whatever, if it comes underground, and while i can see it would be easy enough for em to put it anywhere, in most cases its no bueno, so youd really want to call and make sure once the first engineers come over, to exactly measure and mount cable where it would go, as in my case they came over while i was away, left few meters, and final insallers came and done usual close to main entrance connection, which is 90% in most siro areas done as standard placement even thou it makes f all sense really in terms of coverage unless your all main wifi usage is downstairs.


on positive side VF only took a week from order to final setup and go.
their router has wider range, if your on ground floor it can easily do 40-60 feet, with interference's upper floors gain is about 20-30mb, vs if you had VM hub sitting as twice as close.


as mentioned above if you expect some decent wifi speeds no ISP router will compete with decent aftermarket one and some wifi booster plugs or even mesh setup is required, as on wired you get close to 1gb no probs, but on wifi say on mobile being beside router on phone id pull 300mb, on likes of samsung note 9, its closer to 500mb, but to get anything above youd need extra hardware to get even past 500mb round house on just wifi.
Well this won't work for my setup unless they can run it up to the room upstairs which would be a straight run-up beside a drain pipe and drill thought the wall power sockets are on that side. I use a good Asus router I use the VM router in modem mode. Now I know if I want to hang onto the phone number I'll probably have to run my Asus as an access point.
The crux of the matter is i need no interuption as i need it for work. So if they can't install before the 14 day off period I might have to cancel. Might see what Virgin can do for me not much probably
Snake Plisken is offline  
29-10-2020, 05:09   #4970
Black_Knight
I speak fluent sarcasm
 
Black_Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBo55 View Post
VF seem to be suffering from bad congestion particularly in the evenings. Have you looked at other providers?
Hoping FTTH will be less congested than you're saying. Speed isn't entirely key for me, our 250mb from Virgin is plenty sufficient, so with congestion on a 1gb FTTH in hoping we're still happy. End of the day it's much cheaper than anything Virgin could offer
Black_Knight is offline  
Advertisement
29-10-2020, 08:32   #4971
garo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Knight View Post
Hoping FTTH will be less congested than you're saying. Speed isn't entirely key for me, our 250mb from Virgin is plenty sufficient, so with congestion on a 1gb FTTH in hoping we're still happy. End of the day it's much cheaper than anything Virgin could offer
Let us know how you get on.
garo is online now  
Thanks from:
29-10-2020, 16:47   #4972
Snake Plisken
Registered User
 
Snake Plisken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 7,248
I seem to have got flooded with Eir adverts on Facebook and the amount of people complaining about there service and support is putting me off tbh might just use them to negotiate a better deal with VM, is their 1Gb service that unstable?
Snake Plisken is offline  
29-10-2020, 16:50   #4973
rob316
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,839
I got 6 months half price on the BB with VM. I was never going to leave them so I'm happy with that. My neighbour has Vodafone and he says he constantly has problems. I've never ever had to ring about Virgin so that's worth it to me.
rob316 is offline  
Thanks from:
29-10-2020, 18:17   #4974
Sierra Oscar
Category Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,120
I rang loyalty today and was offered 9 months half price straight up. No arguing or haggling which made a change, a pleasant experience for once!
Sierra Oscar is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-10-2020, 18:26   #4975
p15574
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Oscar View Post
I rang loyalty today and was offered 9 months half price straight up. No arguing or haggling which made a change, a pleasant experience for once!
Did you cancel or just ask for a deal?
p15574 is offline  
29-10-2020, 18:28   #4976
Sierra Oscar
Category Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by p15574 View Post
Did you cancel or just ask for a deal?
I was straight up and said my preference would be to stay but I would walk if I didn't get a good offer.

I had been on to them last month and they tried offering me the €15 off deal, told them I wouldn't accept that and they told me ring back around now as my contract ends next month and they'd see what they could do. They didn't bother try argue with me when I rang back.

I'm with them 10 years this month so that possibly had something to do with it. I had 6 month half price this year, I've had that for as long as I can remember. First time getting 9 months half price.

They mentioned how they understand how hard it is for customers given Covid and all that, so I would play that up if anyone is looking for an offer. I'd say they are seeing a spike in cancellations.

Last edited by Sierra Oscar; 29-10-2020 at 18:32.
Sierra Oscar is offline  
29-10-2020, 18:36   #4977
Snake Plisken
Registered User
 
Snake Plisken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 7,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Oscar View Post
I was straight up and said my preference would be to stay but I would walk if I didn't get a good offer.

I had been on to them last month and they tried offering me the €15 off deal, told them I wouldn't accept that and they told me ring back around now as my contract ends next month and they'd see what they could do. They didn't bother try argue with me when I rang back.

I'm with them 10 years this month so that possibly had something to do with it. I had 6 month half price this year, I've had that for as long as I can remember. First time getting 9 months half price.

They mentioned how they understand how hard it is for customers given Covid and all that, so I would play that up if anyone is looking for an offer. I'd say they are seeing a spike in cancellations.
Do you mind me asking what package are you on? Did you up your speeds or just keep the same package?
Snake Plisken is offline  
29-10-2020, 19:05   #4978
Sierra Oscar
Category Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plisken View Post
Do you mind me asking what package are you on? Did you up your speeds or just keep the same package?
I'm on the Virgin Full House 250. They're not giving out any offers or deals with the 360 package it seems and are insisting on an activation fee for existing customers. I'll give it a miss for a few months.
Sierra Oscar is offline  
30-10-2020, 07:19   #4979
Dazzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Oscar View Post
I rang loyalty today and was offered 9 months half price straight up. No arguing or haggling which made a change, a pleasant experience for once!
Have you had discounts/deals with Virgin in previous years?

I find it more difficult each year to get a discount as I have received discounts for the past few years.
Dazzy is offline  
30-10-2020, 10:13   #4980
RealJohn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,820
I called the other day. They offered 49 Euro per month of 9 months and full price (63) for 3 months (and an upgrade from 240 to 250). Given the number of people here saying they'd been given half price for 6 months, I said that if that was the best they could do, I'd go ahead and cancel. The guy said he was going to speak to his supervisor. Came back to me and told me that the supervisor said that that was the best they could do, so I cancelled.

Got an email suggesting to call them or webchat with them, to discuss other packages, but as things stand, I'm cancelled. I'm not actually inclined to leave them, but not inclined to stay if they're not going to give me one of the 50% for 6 months, or the equivalent of the new signups package (they work out about the same). Anyone know if I'm likely to be offered better? I've been with them a little over 8 years. Never had a discount (after whatever my initial discount was).
RealJohn is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet