Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-09-2020, 08:51   #4831
Sierra Oscar
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamalert View Post
issue with VAT that stimulus for it was released in short notice, thus this gives any service goods supplier levy for couple months at least to make necessary changes to be applied. So in short depending is it 2-3 months many would still be tied to original contract, as any adjustment most likely will follow closer to end of year.
I've been on to customer support to query this, they have advised me that they will not be passing on the VAT reduction and have no plans to do so. They don't view it as a de-facto price increase. I don't see how it is anything but that to be honest.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-09-2020, 10:11   #4832
pc7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Oscar View Post
I've been on to customer support to query this, they have advised me that they will not be passing on the VAT reduction and have no plans to do so. They don't view it as a de-facto price increase. I don't see how it is anything but that to be honest.

Wonder what Revenue would make of that, surely its compulsory to pass it on?
03-09-2020, 10:13   #4833
tjhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Oscar View Post

The contract we entered is for VM to charge us (i.e. take from our bank accounts) €X per month. I.e. if the VAT rate went up or there was another government levy applied, VM would be expected to suck it up. Passing it on would be a price increase.
03-09-2020, 10:22   #4834
JDxtra

Confused here, as I got emails from services like Spotify and Netflix to explain that I will see a price reduction due to VAT reduction.

What makes them different? Maybe they care.
03-09-2020, 10:35   #4835
tjhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDxtra View Post
Confused here, as I got emails from services like Spotify and Netflix to explain that I will see a price reduction due to VAT reduction.

What makes them different? Maybe they care.

Yeah, I'd say those other providers aren't obliged to pass on the savings, but see the benefit of doing so. VM probably doesn't care too much. There's very little competition in this country for those faster Internet speeds.
Advertisement
04-09-2020, 13:14   #4836
mickger844posts

Rang loyalty this morning and was on hold for 30mins. Current package is 360 and Phone for 67.50 a month. Firstly got offered a pitiful 5 Euro off per month for 6 months. Refused and put on hold after which was offered 10 euro off for 6 months. Pathetic offers.
I will give it one more try and hopefully a better deal will be got from a more helpful operator.
Really all depends who you get when doing this rubbish haggling every year.
Thanks from:
04-09-2020, 14:34   #4837
jamescd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickger844posts View Post
Rang loyalty this morning and was on hold for 30mins. Current package is 360 and Phone for 67.50 a month. Firstly got offered a pitiful 5 Euro off per month for 6 months. Refused and put on hold after which was offered 10 euro off for 6 months. Pathetic offers.
I will give it one more try and hopefully a better deal will be got from a more helpful operator.
Really all depends who you get when doing this rubbish haggling every year.

Select cancellations instead and tell them you want to cancel. When they ask for a reason, tell them you got a really good offer from Eir or Vodafone or whatever. They''ll ask you how much the price is, speed you'd be getting, etc..Then they'll tell you they also have some good offers and would you be interested in listening to em. If you like an offer take it, if not tell them you want 6 months half price or whatever and they'll usually say yes.
Thanks from:
04-09-2020, 16:02   #4838
Sheep Shagger

Am on a 30 day rolling contract with Virgin for BB, TV and home phone at the moment and they won't let us convert to a contract with a special price as we are not a new customer.

Loyalty line said the same, has anyone managed to do this as when we said we wanted to switch to eir ( we made that up) it made no difference?
04-09-2020, 16:27   #4839
mickger844posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescd View Post
Select cancellations instead and tell them you want to cancel. When they ask for a reason, tell them you got a really good offer from Eir or Vodafone or whatever. They''ll ask you how much the price is, speed you'd be getting, etc..Then they'll tell you they also have some good offers and would you be interested in listening to em. If you like an offer take it, if not tell them you want 6 months half price or whatever and they'll usually say yes.
Did more or less what you said and because my contract is not up until October 15th they wouldn’t even quote me any offers. She said ring again when there is 30 days left and they will see what they could do.
On the other call I was being offered deals albeit crap ones.
40 mins on hold and not offered anything at the end of it is frustrating.
Will probably try again next week. Still time to actually cancel.
Advertisement
05-09-2020, 13:21   #4840
Cookiee

Called 2 weeks ago to cancel and managed to get 9 months for 29.50€ and the remainder 3 months at 59€ for 250mb broadband, really happy! Wasn't hard to get, at first he offered something bad like 48€ for 6 months or something, I told him sky and eir have better deals, and then he went down to 29.50 for 6 months and I told him make that for 9 months and we have a deal, and he agreed!
Got sent the confirmation of the new contract a few days ago and it matches what we argeed to on the call. Without this thread I wouldn't even know it was possible to get 9 months half price, but keep pushing for a better deal and they will give it

Last edited by Cookiee; 05-09-2020 at 13:25.
(2) thanks from:
05-09-2020, 19:53   #4841
scamalert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiee View Post
Called 2 weeks ago to cancel and managed to get 9 months for 29.50€ and the remainder 3 months at 59€ for 250mb broadband, really happy! Wasn't hard to get, at first he offered something bad like 48€ for 6 months or something, I told him sky and eir have better deals, and then he went down to 29.50 for 6 months and I told him make that for 9 months and we have a deal, and he agreed!
Got sent the confirmation of the new contract a few days ago and it matches what we argeed to on the call. Without this thread I wouldn't even know it was possible to get 9 months half price, but keep pushing for a better deal and they will give it
was this your firs time getting 9mo offer ?
as did cancel last year and only way got 9mo offered.
But as other poster said its really down who you get on the phone their quota for giving such offers etc.

as usual is smth ridicilous like 15e off for couple months, then if pushing you get like 6mo half price.

when you think about advertising competition setup costs for call outs etc, its a bit stupid VM dont cope on theres people since upc and before using them, that litterally cost em fck all after decades.
05-09-2020, 19:53   #4842
scamalert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiee View Post
But as other poster said its really down who you get on the phone their quota for giving such offers etc.

as usual is smth ridicilous like 15e off for couple months, then if pushing you get like 6mo half price.

when you think about advertising competition setup costs for call outs etc, its a bit stupid VM dont cop on theres people since upc and before using them, that literally cost em fck all after decades.
06-09-2020, 09:39   #4843
Cookiee

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamalert View Post

when you think about advertising competition setup costs for call outs etc, its a bit stupid VM dont cop on theres people since upc and before using them, that literally cost em fck all after decades.
Yeah was my first time getting the 9 months offer, before I just cancelled because I didn't know you could get deals like this when you called them
06-09-2020, 10:20   #4844
beauf

They used to do this to everyone if you haggled enough .
06-09-2020, 10:41   #4845
CoBo55

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauf View Post
They used to do this to everyone if you haggled enough .
I never got it. Wasn’t for the lack of trying either.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion