Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-05-2014, 14:53   #1
Muahahaha

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

I'm sure most here know about this but I think it's worth repeating as I just got a pretty decent deal from UPC for the next 12 months. I had been toying with the idea of spending €200-250 on a FTA satellite dish but as I live in an apartment I didn't really want the hassle that might come with it. Anyway my current package is 30mb internet and the basic tv package for €63 a month. I rang up 8 weeks back and asked about cancelling the TV portion only. They said the internet on its own would cost me €37 and for €45 a month they would give me both together for 12 months. Anyway I did nothing about it till today and rang them back again, this time he offered me 120mb broadband and an upgrade from the basic tv package to the next level up for €31.50 a month. That's broadband that is four times quicker and nearly twice the amount of channels. Then he offered another small upgrade, for an extra €3 per month I get over 90 channels (includes Discovery, Animal Planet, etc) all for €34 per month for both tv and internet.

I can't complain really because I would have paid around €34 for broadband off some other provider, at least with UPC I've got the fastest and most reliable broadband going and for €34 a month I'm essentially getting all my tv for free for the next 12 months, great deal IMO.
Advertisement
08-05-2014, 14:57   #2
NeVeR

Send a message via Yahoo to NeVeR
it's crap you have to cancel before they offer you something decent !
08-05-2014, 16:23   #3
Muahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeVeR View Post
it's crap you have to cancel before they offer you something decent !
Yeah but in fairness to them they gave me a deal that would normally be reserved only for brand new customers. Maybe I'm wrong g on this but it's the first time I'm aware of it happening that they are giving this type of deal to existing customers. Like I said I had rung up about 8 weeks back and was offered to stay for €45 which is probably pretty standard for existing g customers who are trying to cancel. Then today they offered me €31.50 and I eventually settled on €34 for the extra documentary channels. I've ended up with more channels and faster broadband for almost half the price, I can't complain really.
08-05-2014, 17:02   #4
Rowley Birkin QC

Do you have the Horizon box or separate boxes?

We signed up through boards a few days ago. Would be interested to go back to them with this as we are within a 14 day cooling off period.
08-05-2014, 20:51   #5
Muahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin QC View Post
Do you have the Horizon box or separate boxes?

We signed up through boards a few days ago. Would be interested to go back to them with this as we are within a 14 day cooling off period.
No he didn't offer the horizon box and I didn't ask for it either as I want to get my own router so I can change the DNS and then access BBC iPlayer and 4OD through a NowTV box, from what I've heard it is difficult or almost impossible to change the DNS on a horizon box so I'm happy not to have one as I've no need to record several channels at a time
Advertisement
08-05-2014, 21:04   #6
cunnifferous

Just got the horizon max package for 38.50 a month for 12 months. Pretty happy with that tbh.
08-05-2014, 21:14   #7
BBMcQ

Horizon is awful I'd reccommend to stay away. I had it on the preview trial last summer and not only did I give it back but I got a full refund for 6 months and I switched to Sky for TV cuz the customer service was so poor. UPC effectively have a monopoly on high quality broadband in apartments though.. Separates FTW
08-05-2014, 21:23   #8
cunnifferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartmchugh View Post
Horizon is awful I'd reccommend to stay away. I had it on the preview trial last summer and not only did I give it back but I got a full refund for 6 months and I switched to Sky for TV cuz the customer service was so poor. UPC effectively have a monopoly on high quality broadband in apartments though.. Separates FTW
Yeah I've heard complaints about it alright. To be honest I'm willing to put up with the interface faults for the extra capabilites and the price I got. I've also had one of their ancient TV boxes for the last 5 years that is laggy as hell and has no features so It can't be much worse than that.
08-05-2014, 21:37   #9
Eire Go Brach

I do it every year with them. They always give me deals. The things is. I say it to other people and they don't get as good deals. Then they moan at me ha ha

At the moment I have middle tv package, 30mb and phone with international calls. All for just €35. It's up again in July. I will be doing the same again
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-05-2014, 00:47   #10
sector_000

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartmchugh View Post
I have had the full Horizon package for ~2 months now - very happy with it. I had UPC basic digital TV before that.

Incidently, to OP, there's been a huge thread about the "cancellation deals" from UPC on this forum running over the last couple of months. Many people have gotten the max/complete triple play Horizon bundle for €30~€35 for 1 yr. Hard to think of a better deal elsewhere. I couldn't :-)

Last edited by sector_000; 09-05-2014 at 00:48. Reason: typo
04-06-2014, 12:58   #11
seanyd11

I would read the small print in any deals they offer. They gave me a great half price deal for 12 months and then pulled it without telling me , putting it down to a mis-quote from an employee. While they wont let you break yourside of the contract , they can do what they want.
04-06-2014, 14:34   #12
RickyBobby1

Any chance of getting those type of offers as a new customer?
04-06-2014, 14:43   #13

I cannot stress this enough - get any offer in writing before you commit or agree to the offer.
04-06-2014, 16:14   #14
Jesus Wept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire Go Brach View Post
I do it every year with them. They always give me deals. The things is. I say it to other people and they don't get as good deals. Then they moan at me ha ha

At the moment I have middle tv package, 30mb and phone with international calls. All for just €35. It's up again in July. I will be doing the same again
Anyway of telling when it is up? Currently paying 54 quid for basic tv and internet with them. And the internet is being sh1te.
04-06-2014, 16:31   #15
Muahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Year View Post
Anyway of telling when it is up? Currently paying 54 quid for basic tv and internet with them. And the internet is being sh1te.
Their contracts are typically 12 months in duration so once that is up you should be ringing them to renegotiate the price.

I reckon with these things 90% of their customers never haggle and pay full whack so they'd prefer give us 10% who do a discount rather than lose us to Sky or worse, FTA satellite. When they ask why are you thinking of cancelling always mention the cost and that you're thinking g of getting a FTA satellite installed as it only costs €200 and then your TV is free forever. FTA must send shivers up the spine of any company selling TV services and I'd say they'd much prefer see you pay a discounted bill than no bill at all. People who go FTA are highly unlikely to ever go back and UPC/Sky know this.
(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion