Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Solo Date" in a in Dublin city ... where to bring myself tonight?

• 31-12-2019 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Was looking after family and working etc over xmas and I can sit in or let loose tonight. Everyone I know is staying in with flu, coupled and by the fire, staying local "on the couch" on booze a week over xmas and generally frazzlled etc ..

I want to treat myself to a well deserved night out in Dublin City ..

Where to go, any suggestions ? Where are the best clubs / late pubs with some decent music where maybe I can have a bop?

Thanks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

There's a documentary about the retired television presenter Mary Kennedy on RTE1 tonight. That's the only 'solo date' I'll be having. If you know what I mean. I mean I'm going to **** myself off while watching classic clips of Nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

There is a singles only New Years Eve ball on but it's 35 euro a ticket I think. Someone around Harcourt Street I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Be prepared to walk home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

If all else fails, Coppers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

There's a documentary about the retired television presenter Mary Kennedy on RTE1 tonight. That's the only 'solo date' I'll be having. If you know what I mean. I mean I'm going to **** myself off while watching classic clips of Nationwide.

Twink not good enough for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Made the mistake once of heading into town on this night a few years ago. Never happened again. Not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Timistry

Might have been possible 10 years ago. Now everyone is on a date with their phone or in a group of fellow singletons that are so groupie, you would need to need to a UN negotiator to strike up a conversation without getting told to f off

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ohyeah2020

Timistry wrote: »
    Might have been possible 10 years ago. Now everyone is on a date with their phone or in a group of fellow singletons that are so groupie, you would need to need to a UN negotiator to strike up a conversation without getting told to f off

I think my mate Kofi Annan wants a night off from that ... Maybe go some where else ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

theteal wrote: »
    Made the mistake once of heading into town on this night a few years ago. Never happened again. Not worth the hassle.

Agreed, a reminder of the days before the taxis were deregulated and they acted like stopping for passengers was a massive favour they could do for you or something. Spent as much time in a taxi rank one new years as I had in the pub beforehand, absolute hell.

And it's not like the pub was any craic either. It's not just that it's mobbed, but also, like St Paddys, new years Eve is an "amateur night" where people who don't often go to pubs clog it up. No regard for bar etiquette at all (wait until they're served before fumbling around to find money in the bottom of a cavernous handbag, for example), messy drunks, and the smoking section full of people who don't smoke but it's a special occasion, so they'll bum one off the regulars for tonight...I don't smoke anymore but that one always annoyed me

And that's before we get into the forced jollity of the countdown itself, singing auld lang syne without knowing the lyrics and "celebrating" ...something or other...with a bunch of strangers.

I'm a huge fan of Christmas, and the pints associated with it, and I love a night in Dublin when I'm back home for it, but new years boils my bollocks. A few nice bottles of ale with a few of my friends, maybe a few whiskeys.

Stay home OP! Save yourself before it's too late.

Or go to Slatterys in Rathmines, grand spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ohyeah2020

Agreed, a reminder of the days before the taxis were deregulated and they acted like stopping for passengers was a massive favour they could do for you or something. Spent as much time in a taxi rank one new years as I had in the pub beforehand, absolute hell.

And it's not like the pub was any craic either. It's not just that it's mobbed, but also, like St Paddys, new years Eve is an "amateur night" where people who don't often go to pubs clog it up. No regard for bar etiquette at all (wait until they're served before fumbling around to find money in the bottom of a cavernous handbag, for example), messy drunks, and the smoking section full of people who don't smoke but it's a special occasion, so they'll bum one off the regulars for tonight...I don't smoke anymore but that one always annoyed me

And that's before we get into the forced jollity of the countdown itself, singing auld lang syne without knowing the lyrics and "celebrating" ...something or other...with a bunch of strangers.

I'm a huge fan of Christmas, and the pints associated with it, and I love a night in Dublin when I'm back home for it, but new years boils my bollocks. A few nice bottles of ale with a few of my friends, maybe a few whiskeys.

Stay home OP! Save yourself before it's too late.

Or go to Slatterys in Rathmines, grand spot.

Thanks, I will go with low expectations and be prepared for the worst but maybe get lucky :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Tinder?

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

There are fap challenge videos for popstars and actresses etc on YouTube so I’m sure there is an equivalent for Mary that we can all ‘enjoy’ all year round .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Its never a solo date if you bring one of your mannequins. ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its never a solo date if you bring one of your mannequins. ;)
    A rag and some chloroform and I can find myself a mannequinn almost anywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

A rag and some chloroform and I can find myself a mannequinn almost anywhere!

So what you're saying is you're a rapist?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

ohyeah2020 wrote: »
    Thanks, I will go with low expectations and be prepared for the worst but maybe get lucky :-)

Where did you go in the end op?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Mary was and still is a fine bit of stuff and worth a solo ****.

Advertisement