Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why and when did skinny jeans become fashionable for men?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

'threated'? Have you been on the sauce?

Yeah :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think they look hot on men and I'm glad it became a trend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

flatface wrote: »
    I look awesome in skinny jeans over 40 thanks. Doesn’t suit many an Irish lad though so I can understand all the haters.
    You mean you think you look awesome in skinny jeans, you may very well look fantastic in them but most men over 40 just don't and it's not even about the condition someone is in, it just looks a bit desperate and midlife crisis, a bit like 50 year old women wearing miniskirts and telling people that they look more like their teenage daughters sister than her mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

I can't wait till I reach my midlife crisis :D I'll have the money to buy what I want, and the attraction of younger and older women. Will be great imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

You mean you think you look awesome in skinny jeans, you may very well look fantastic in them but most men over 40 just don't and it's not even about the condition someone is in, it just looks a bit desperate and midlife crisis, a bit like 50 year old women wearing miniskirts and telling people that they look more like their teenage daughters sister than her mother.

Women compliment me and men curse me wherever I go.

People should wear whatever looks good on them, what looks silly is someone wearing clothes that don’t suit them just because Fashion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

They look ok on some people but they certainly do not look good on many and especially those fellas that have bulked up on top but missed leg day...to anyone that fits that bill..you look plain stupid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They look ok on some people but they certainly do not look good on many and especially those fellas that have bulked up on top but missed leg day...to anyone that fits that bill..you look plain stupid.

4384854463_a9687d76ac_z.jpg?zz=1

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Tights have literally been around since the medieval era. The stupidity of complaining about ‘kids these days’ wearing tights is probably lost on you all.

https://www.gq.com/gallery/men-in-tights-history

Denim is just fabric. Tights been around for centuries.

I dont wear them, but why whinge about this?
    if we stopped calling them skinny jeans and everyone referred to them as "denim tights" it might give some lads pause for thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Men are morphing into women. Won't be any men left. Shaped eyebrows fake tan. Its getting weird out there. Male genitals are disappearing anyway so the jeans won't bother them. Only the strong survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,024 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's just another one of these trends that will go away in a few years.
    I'm in my late twenties and things that were popular a few years ago aren't now.

I do think one difference now though is guys really believe they are being really fashionable however they can be brutal at knowing when to wear something and when not to.
    Example: Wearing no socks is fine it may not be for me.
    However it looks brutal with a work uniform or a traditinal type suit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

I can't wait till I reach my midlife crisis :D I'll have the money to buy what I want, and the attraction of younger and older women. Will be great imo.
    Can you afford the women?:D Young girls aren't interested in older men unless there's a financial incentive. I'm sure all the 20 something year old girls hanging off elderly men genuinely love them for their bodies and their personalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's just another one of these trends that will go away in a few years.
    I'm in my late twenties and things that were popular a few years ago aren't now.

I do think one difference now though is guys really believe they are being really fashionable however they can be brutal at knowing when to wear something and when not to.
    Example: Wearing no socks is fine it may not be for me.
    However it looks brutal with a work uniform or a traditinal type suit.

Skinny jeans have been around since the late 70's and early to late 80's.

People always seem to think that this is a recent phenomenon. It really is not. It's something of a misnomer thing.

I give you Phil Lynott:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,880 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

2.14pm on August 29, 1997

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Acosta

Not a good look for me as I have big hips. Plus they are desperately uncomfortable and I can't understand why anyone would want to wear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

Can’t wait until this particular fashion trend fades out.....have never seen a man look good in skinny jeans.....and always make them look like their feet are too big for their body !! ��

People always seem to think that this is a recent phenomenon. It really is not. It's something of a misnomer thing.

I give you Phil Lynott:

The trend of them being popular and cool will go away and people will move onto something else.

The trend of them being popular and cool will go away and people will move onto something else.

Perhaps, although I think we live in too different times for that to be the case.

Flares could well come back in fashion in time but it's not exactly a functional clean look.

I reckon the fitted look in general is here to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

There was a neighbour of mine diagonally across the aisle at midnight mass on Tuesday wearing a pair of skinny chino type trousers, now he's in reasonable shape for his 40's but his trousers were so tight that every time he sat or knelt they rode up a little bit more so by the Our Father they were mid calf, not a good look.

Perhaps, although I think we live in too different times for that to be the case.

Flares could well come back in fashion in time but it's not exactly a functional clean look.

I reckon the fitted look in general is here to stay.

I think we're worst than even for people following trends it would take a few famous instagramers to cause an change with some people.
    There is a difference between a fitted look and skinny jeans.
    Skinny tight jeans that are to short for you are as impractical as flares.

Seamai wrote: »
    There was a neighbour of mine diagonally across the aisle at midnight mass on Tuesday wearing a pair of skinny chino type trousers, now he's in reasonable shape for his 40's but his trousers were so tight that every time he sat or knelt they rode up a little bit more so by the Our Father they were mid calf, not a good look.

I'm only 32! :eek:

• Advertisement

I think we're worst than even for people following trends it would take a few famous instagramers to cause an change with some people.
    There is a difference between a fitted look and skinny jeans.
    Skinny tight jeans that are to short for you are as impractical as flares.

Again it depends on the material of the skinny jean.

Stretch skinny or even better slim fit jeans are pretty comfortable and it's a cleaner fitted look then, say, bootcut or flares which soak up water on the street.

Not good.

But again fashion is subjective and ultimately people like what they like.

Again it depends on the material of the skinny jean.

Stretch skinny or even better slim fit jeans are pretty comfortable and it's a cleaner fitted look then, say, bootcut or flares which soak up water on the street.

Not good.

But again fashion is subjective and ultimately people like what they like.

I said skinny tight jeans were impractical.
    I never said nothing about slim fitting Jean's.
    You don't need to bold everything.
    We can read.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm over 30 I wear gap skinny very comfortable and great fit. They look far better on people than something like straight or bootcut.

I said skinny tight jeans were impractical.
    I never said nothing about slim fitting Jean's.
    You don't need to bold everything.
    We can read.

How are they impractical?

Relax yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I give you Phil Lynott:

The skinny jeans around now are a lot tighter that that. They are elasticated and contour around the calves,now.
    In the late 80s I used to take in my tight fit Levi's to look somewhat like the ones in the pic.

I still prefer a slim cut jeans but I don't like the jeggings look around now - or the bare ankles.

How are they impractical?

Relax yourself.

Well I've seen guys in them having difficulty bending over, seating or them tearing due to the tightness of them.
    Then when they are to short and wear no socks they complain about being cold.
    They are also fair useless if you need to carry things around in your pockets without a big bulge on show.

Your the one with the bold issue. Your the one who needs to relax yourself.

Well I've seen guys in them having difficulty bending over, seating or them tearing due to the tightness of them.
    Then when they are to short and wear no socks they complain about being cold.
    They are also fair useless if you need to carry things around in your pockets without a big bulge on show.

Your the one with the bold issue. Your the one who needs to relax yourself.

Well they need to buy better jeans then.

I like to highlight the most relevant parts of a post :D

Well they need to buy better jeans then.

I like to highlight the most relevant parts of a post :D

Thanks for letting me know.
    I was thinking it was caused by the tightness of your jeans.

The skinny jeans around now are a lot tighter that that. They are elasticated and contour around the calves,now.
    In the late 80s I used to take in my tight fit Levi's to look somewhat like the ones in the pic.

I still prefer a slim cut jeans but I don't like the jeggings look around now - or the bare ankles.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the spray on Skinny jeans TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

D3V!L wrote: »
    I have leg muscles so could never wear them

Yawn. These threads come up every few months. TL:DR old bloke's don't get fashion. It's not a shocking revelation.

But as it happens, they're made of stretching denim so they're actually very comfortable - I only have experience of the reasonably skinny ones, not the spray on ones.

The ones who think their balls are too big are being a bit too generous to themselves. Believe it or not, they actually fit clothes to the body shape these days.

But ultimately the statement “old boys don’t get why young people do things differently” isn’t making any headlines.

Advertisement