Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clive James RIP

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

maudgonner wrote: »
    Watching Clive James on 1993 now and so far we've had Rolf Harris, Gary Glitter, Ted Heath, Michael Jackson and Prince Andrew pop up. There's definitely a drinking game (a very depressing one) in this - if Jimmy Saville features in the next segment I'm cracking open a bottle.
    And there's an Arena programme on BBC4 at the moment with Jonathan Miller, until 00.30.

With Kevin Spacey among the contributors:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Clive was a brilliant writer. His poetry & novels will be consumed long after we're all gone. His memoirs too. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,980 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Will always remember him as the guy who made us aware of the Japanese game show "Endurance"

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Will always remember him as the guy who made us aware of the Japanese game show "Endurance"

And Margarita Pracatan!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

BBC 4 are re running 'Clive James in New York' starting at 22:00 Hrs today ( i.e. on at the time of this post )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50578512

Been 'terminally ill' for nearly ten years, which must be some sort of record.

Wouldn't describe myself as a huge fan, but I did derive some enjoyment from his tv and columns.

Edit: Apologies for the typo in the title, can a mod correct?

Not really. Many people can get an illness they will definitely die from and it will shorten their life (though his didn’t because he wasn’t young when diagnosed) but treatments help them stretch out the time before they die. I’m not sure why you’ve put it in inverted commas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

0lddog wrote: »
    BBC 4 are re running 'Clive James in New York' starting at 22:00 Hrs today ( i.e. on at the time of this post )

The portrayal of a fantastic melting pot of colourful folk who don’t quite know what they are let alone where they might be from is funny. You’d miss his world weariness alright safe to say it still holds up, surprised it aired again..

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

His 'Postcard from LA' which was on BBC Four a couple of weeks back was absolutely wonderful viewing.

1st Feb 2020 22:45 BBC 4.:. Postcard from Berlin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Rip , was a great entertainer in his day

• Advertisement

29th Feb 2020 22:00 BBC 4.:. Postcard from Cairo

14th March 2020 22:00 BBC 4.:. Postcard from Bombay

brian_t wrote: »
    At 11pm this evening is Clives James Postcard from Shanghai China.

It was filmed in May 1989 and seems to be the last of these repeats for the time being.

28th March 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

He called the bee gees a bunch of tossers :pac:

He was hilarious Enjoy what ever your version of after death is :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

Ultrflat wrote: »
    He called the bee gees a bunch of tossers :pac:

He was hilarious Enjoy what ever your version of after death is :cool:

Wrong guy! That was Clive Anderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Fritzbox wrote: »
    Wrong guy! That was Clive Anderson.

hey I got the Clive bit right!

0lddog wrote: »
    29th Feb 2020 22:00 BBC 4.:. Postcard from Cairo

Cairo was poxy just camels and sand. Looking forward to Shanghai..

Is it just me or was there a yellow tinge off the episode last night? ..left me considering a calibrator but maybe the film it was shot on hasn’t aged well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Genghis

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Is it just me or was there a yellow tinge off the episode last night? ..left me considering a calibrator but maybe the film it was shot on hasn’t aged well.

Can't say I noticed. Loving this series, remember a few from the first time round but probably appreciate the wit now all the more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I met Clive James at a charity do once. I found him surprisingly down to earth and very charming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

tdf7187 wrote: »
    I met Clive James at a charity do once. I found him surprisingly down to earth and very charming.

Genius presenter, writer and observer - sorely needed on TV nowadays and will be much missed.They broke the mould when they made him. RIP Clive & thanks for the many years of laughter and delightful cynicism.

Missing your Saturday evening fix ?

There is an interview with Katharine Hepburn on youtube :)

Reminded me of when Lauren Bacall did her Desert Island Discs
    ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p009mxpg )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Somehow landed on this documentary on Youtube, as Clive James follows Damon Hill around for a couple of races towards the end of Hill's championship winning season in 1996. Hill was officially dumped by Williams with three races left, but it was long rumoured that the decision was made at the end of 1995 - Hill had another year on his contract which Williams would honour.

James' narration is well worth the listen and makes what could be an otherwise dry program very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3c7c6wMlow

Advertisement