Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brownface racist?

• 22-09-2019 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

I'm white. I'm invited to a fancy dress. I decide to go as Martin Luther King (who I admire), Mohammed Ali (who my folks admired) or Aladdin (recalling the magic of Arabian Nights during childhood)

I brown my face.

I'm a racist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I'm white. I'm invited to a fancy dress. I decide to go as Martin Luther King (who I admire), Mohammed Ali (who my folks admired) or Aladdin (recalling the magic of Arabian Nights during childhood)

I brown my face.

I'm a racist?

Just go as elvis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,236 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I brown my face.

I'm a racist?

If there are rich kid activists there, then yes you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,463 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just go as elvis

Or better yet...
    Black Elvis!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Just go as elvis

Mightn't that be fattist if late stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd see nothing racist if a black lad/ladette dressed up as a white, I'd actually find it funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,463 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd see nothing racist if a black lad/ladette dressed up as a white, I'd actually find it funny.

Sure isn't it the whole joke behind white chicks.
    Imagine Soulman being remade these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

I brown my face.

I'm a racist?
    Just go as the Will Smith version of Aladdin. He's light skinned black so the most you will be is light skinned racist

banie01 wrote: »
    Or better yet...
    Black Elvis!
    Or a white Martin Luther King.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

banie01 wrote: »
    Or better yet...
    Black Elvis!
    Blelvis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

No it doesn't make you racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

If you're a leftie it's sound.
    If you're a rightie it's racist.
    Go as Michael Jackson

Danzy wrote: »
    If there are rich kid activists there, then yes you are.

Whats a rich kid activist?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Paint yourself grey, you can be b&w TV Martin Luther King

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Go as white Michael Jackson.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Panthro wrote: »
    If you're a leftie it's sound.
    If you're a rightie it's racist.
    Go as Michael Jackson

Or Jimmy Saville.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I brown my face.

I'm a racist?

The first one is just blackface and a suit; the second one is just blackface and boxing gear; the third is anything you want because he's imaginary. If I was going to take the risk of blacking up I'd at least pick someone recognisable like Haile Selassie, George Clinton, Flavor Flav or Desmond Tutu.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

if you go as a gollyw.....golly-toy then its racist.

if you go as a normal person who happens to be brown/black then its not racist.

its context, for example i watched an anti-racism documentary where a white german lad blacked up to see first hand what it was like for african immigrants.
    if anything this was an anti-racist context yet the guy was blacked up fully.

then of course you have the 'taking the piss' style blackface which is basically just saying that black people are something to laugh at and ridicule.

its the motivation.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

20Wheel wrote: »
    if you go as a gollyw.....golly-toy then its racist.

if you go as a normal person who happens to be brown/black then its not racist.

its context, for example i watched an anti-racism documentary where a white german lad blacked up to see first hand what it was like for african immigrants.
    if anything this was an anti-racist context yet the guy was blacked up fully.

then of course you have the 'taking the piss' style blackface which is basically just saying that black people are something to laugh at and ridicule.

its the motivation.

Context should be relevant but it is not.

Or Jimmy Saville.

I went around as Adolf Hitler as a kid during Halloween. Don't think it would go down well these days with my young fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭normanoffside

No because if it’s racist to dress up as some one else it’s only because you think they are socially below you.

If you are not making fun or feeling superior then there is no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

BLM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Persecution of the white male is de rigeur these days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I too struggled to get around the idea of how putting on makeup to look like a character would be a racist act. Surely you are just being true to the character? And you would probably be doing it with the best intentions.

However, people with black and brown skin have seen white people dress up like this with the intention of poking fun at them for years. On TV, in the famous minstrel shows etc. To the extent that an entire race is boiled down to a stereotype. So when you encounter people they are not seeing you as an individual, you are now seen as one of those guys with the funny accents and weird clothes.

As an example, if people were constantly dressing up as "stupid drunken leprechauns", to the extent where the stereotype is brushing off on you as an Irish person and creeping into your daily life, after a while you are going to get pretty pissed off when you see someone dressing as a leprechaun, no matter how harmless or well intentioned they were in throwing on a costume

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

Everything is racist these days. Just wanting to vet refugees is seen as racist by some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Iron Man done it...

No because if it’s racist to dress up as some one else it’s only because you think they are socially below you.

If you are not making fun or feeling superior then there is no problem.

Its just I saw Trudeau grovelling in 'save my reelection chances' mode and my initial reaction was 'there's a spineless git'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Go as a black Hitler, not sure what this form of racism is called ?

Everything is racist these days. Just wanting to vet refugees is seen as racist by some people.

I've had to listen to some one go on about how pass port control was racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Danzy wrote: »
    Context should be relevant but it is not.

then the party/event is probably full of dry shytes.

in which case dont go, or make a minimal effort and only stay briefly.

bit of green face paint, oh look im the hulk, madness, a small orange juice please, right see yous on monday.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Blackface was a form of American vaudeville. There has never been such a thing as 'brownface'. Even as I'm typing this Google Chrome spell checker is recognising blackface as a word but not brownface.

No one gave a shit about Snoop Dogg wearing 'whiteface'.

I doubt anyone really gives a shite about that Trudeau moron either. It's more that he comes out with this kind of tripe and it's funny to see him taken down a peg or two.

Advertisement