Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Currywurst

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

This is why they should have been wiped off the map after WW1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Have a read of Die Entdeckung der Currywurst to get the history... Hamburg or Berlin, always makes a good argument

It was also adapted to a movie which is OKish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Tried it over there once, didn’t like it. The middle eastern places in the underground that do chips in kebab meat are nicer and they have great thin sausage rolls with different fillings.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Love currywurst. Had my first one in Cologne back in the 1990s.

But then, I love bratwurst and German food generally. Unpretentious, hearty and filling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Tried it over there once, didn’t like it. The middle eastern places in the underground that do chips in kebab meat are nicer and they have great thin sausage rolls with different fillings.

Burek?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Greentopia wrote: »
    Tasty.

Not a patch on the best Wurst in that country though, the wonderful Thüringer Rostbratwürst. Has European protected designation status.

Indeed!
    I'll be in Berlin and Thuringia in a couple of weeks and I threatened my friends that I will gorge on Thüringer Rostbratwurst (discarding all my vegetarian principles), 'cause it's simply the best.

As with Berliner Currywurst don't judge the real thing by that imitation stuff they sell in Lidl's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

No not the worst curry you've ever had, but the Germany delicacy of sausage covered in curry powder and ketchup served with some pomme frittes covered in mayo.

Currywurst is the worst version of curry you can get. Too much tomato, not enough curry. A good sausage ruined...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Burek?

No they didn’t give me wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Carry wrote: »
    Indeed!
    I'll be in Berlin and Thuringia in a couple of weeks and I threatened my friends that I will gorge on Thüringer Rostbratwurst (discarding all my vegetarian principles), 'cause it's simply the best.

As with Berliner Currywurst don't judge the real thing by that imitation stuff they sell in Lidl's.

I was vegan before I lived in Germany. I blame Ze Lad tempting me with his delicious home cooking and meaty dishes.

Best people in Germany are in the East IMO-not just saying that because my guy is from there either... no ok I totally am. :D

They don't take themselves too seriously, honest, sincere, hard working and they have the best sense of humour. Sad that more people don't visit there as it's stunningly beautiful. The Thuringian forest is a jewel.

Love Berlin too, great city.
    Enjoy your visit and food. Oh and if you haven't tried them already and you like cakes buy some of the locally made cakes from the small bakeries in Thuringia...they're amazing and not too sweet! far nicer than anything in the West because they're not from the big chains and made with love and pride by Mom and Pop businesses. Plum, and poppy seed slices are so delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

German beer is the best in the world.
    Their food just accompanies it perfectly.
    I got served dinner in a frying pan once...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Can't stand currywurst. The sauce is weirdly sweet and there's way too much of it in proprtion to the sausage. Don't like their pork sausages either, just very bland. Most quick German takeaway fold is like that, though. Either very saucy, very sweet or tastes like nothing.

Some of their more traditional sausages are far better. I love the Krakauer and the Rindfleishwurst. And Flammkuchen is amazing. Better than pizza.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just hungry
    But you said it was a Germany delicacy. You may be thinking of goulash ?

Advertisement