Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

4k PARROT ANAFI drone 279 in Currys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

RossieMan wrote: »
    Nah they never accepted it at that price. They just refuse the payment, which is why it takes so many days for it to return to your account.
    They aren't out of pocket at all for this. Only the people who ordered are, for the few days it takes to get their money back.

If you see one of these again, don't post it here. You might just get it if only 1-2 people order it. It's the hundreds of orders that kills deals like this.

You seem to be pleased that this fell through. Just because you missed out on placing an order no doubt.

Begrudgery is an ugly trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭SteM

RossieMan wrote: »
    Nah they never accepted it at that price. They just refuse the payment, which is why it takes so many days for it to return to your account.
    They aren't out of pocket at all for this. Only the people who ordered are, for the few days it takes to get their money back.

What are you on about? You said 'your money was pending.', I was simply pointing out to you that you were wrong. They money was not pending. It was pending on the 24th and 25th but was gone from the account on 26th. That is not pending. I never said that Currys were out of pocket so I'm not sure why you brought that up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

dodzy wrote:
    Currys would have sent out the grand total of ZERO units. Of that, you can be absolutely certain.

I thought the OP got DPD shipping info for delivery tomorrow?

I had been thinking about getting a drone for little over a year. Kept looking in to it for a few days, and then putting it off until something popped up again.

This seemed like an opportunity too good to be true (it was).

But, I have been very impressed with the reviews of the anafi, which I only focused on after placing the order.

I wonder is it worth the ~€500 which it is available for elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Monkeyjoe

[HTML][/HTML]
    tedpan wrote: »
    I thought the OP got DPD shipping info for delivery tomorrow?

Yip, the parcel is in Athlone atm. Will send a pic when it arrives.

But I also received a separate email from Currys on the 25th saying they were on their way again with the tracking info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Monkeyjoe wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

But I also received a separate email from Currys on the 25th saying they were on their way again with the tracking info.

They? :P

There's always pros and cons with drones. These are decent options you have sub 1k

Mavic Air
    Mavic Pro(1st Gen)
    DJI Spark
    Autel Evo
    Parrot Anafi
    Xiaomi Mi Drone
    Xiaomi Fimi a3 - just released 250e

This is what I'd be getting on a 500e budget though..

Xiaomi FiMi X8 SE - released in Jan 19

Watch a lot of YouTube reviews.. ;)

I had been thinking about getting a drone for little over a year. Kept looking in to it for a few days, and then putting it off until something popped up again.

This seemed like an opportunity too good to be true (it was).

But, I have been very impressed with the reviews of the anafi, which I only focused on after placing the order.

seems like a decent drone.

look into these drones in order of price to see what suits you.

xiaomi fimi a3
    dji spark (need to buy controller extra which may put it above x8 price)
    xiaomi fimi x8 (coming jan 2019) - 4k, long battery life.
    parrot anafi
    mavic air

dji has the obstacle avoidance tech which is handy for avoiding crashes! (but is not totally foolproof e.g. small tree branches)
    only front on spark - front and rear on mavic air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

glasso wrote:
    seems like a decent drone.

it has a better camera but isn't as fast as a bebop2

They? :P

Ohh yeah, ordered 2 :)

One of my friends wanted one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

[HTML][/HTML]

Brilliant, if anyone deserves something like this before they baton down the hatches, it's only right that it's the OP of the bargain. I was full certain they would have pulled any orders once it was copped. Like many others here I'll be happy to be proved wrong! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Drone wars!!

I've always valued our friendship. Glad to know it meant as much to you. Let me know when to collect. Wouldn't expect you to drop it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

There's always pros and cons with drones. These are decent options you have sub 1k

Mavic Air
    Mavic Pro(1st Gen)
    DJI Spark
    Autel Evo
    Parrot Anafi
    Xiaomi Mi Drone
    Xiaomi Fimi a3 - just released 250e

This is what I'd be getting on a 500e budget though..

Xiaomi FiMi X8 SE - released in Jan 19

Watch a lot of YouTube reviews.. ;)

Hmm I'm stuck between ordering the parrot anafi right now from amazon for £427.47 and getting it next week or ordering the xiaomi fimi x8 se but not getting it till late february/march for 444 euro and possibly being hit with customs. What would you recommend? The Xiaomi one does definitely seem beefier.

scottigael wrote:
    Hmm I'm stuck between ordering the parrot anafi right now from amazon for £427.47 and getting it next week or ordering the xiaomi fimi x8 se but not getting it till late february/march for 444 euro and possibly being hit with customs. What would you recommend? The Xiaomi one does definitely seem beefier.

Both are pretty awesome, I'd watch the YouTube videos to see which suits you best..

Both are pretty awesome, I'd watch the YouTube videos to see which suits you best..

Yeah very few x8 videos out there as it isnt released but I ordered the x8 looks good and there were lots of glowing reviews about the mi drone 4k. Got it from here

https://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_009541810205.html?wid=1349303

For 390 euro with the code GBFIMIX8SE seems like a good deal. It's my first drone so hope everything goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭SteM

No way would I buy a drone without seeing some footage from it first. Looks nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

No way would I buy anything from Gearbest, no matter how many people have succesfully received it etc.
    Something that price would be worth getting from a retailer with a more consistent background regarding policies for returning under warranty etc. Far too many people online on every forum with issues after using them (and usually big issues), including many on this forum. Even if they were only 10% unreliable (they are more), that would be too much.

Suckit wrote: »
    No way would I buy anything from Gearbest, no matter how many people have succesfully received it etc.
    Something that price would be worth getting from a retailer with a more consistent background regarding policies for returning under warranty etc. Far too many people online on every forum with issues after using them (and usually big issues), including many on this forum. Even if they were only 10% unreliable (they are more), that would be too much.

Thanks but I've ordered phones of a similar but lesser value from gearbest before never had any problems, plus I paid with paypal which should offer me good enough protection if theres any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

glasso wrote:
    xiaomi fimi a3

Where would be a good place to buy one of these? Kinda hits the sweet spot with price/range/flying time for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

scottigael wrote: »
    Thanks but I've ordered phones of a similar but lesser value from gearbest before never had any problems, plus I paid with paypal which should offer me good enough protection if theres any problems.

It wasn't directed to you specifically. It was just to make others aware. Paypal isn't enough protection. One of the many Gearbest Paypal tricks is to ask the person to return the defective item and then it never appears, or morphs into the wrong item.

Searching gearbest paypal trick should show some examples.
    I won't/shouldn't need to go into it. Was just telling people that didn't know about it, to be more careful with which store they purchase from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭ozmo

Reviews for this drone I read while this bargain was still pending wernt good enough to convince me to give it a punt - even at this low price error.

Id advise anything DJI - at the moment there is no real competition.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

ozmo wrote: »
    Reviews for this drone I read while this bargain was still pending wernt good enough to convince me to give it a punt - even at this low price error.

Id advise anything DJI - at the moment there is no real competition.

DJI vs any other drone, xaomi / parrot etc seems to have turned into a real iphone Vs Android type conversation.

DJI are good but the market is catching up and the Parrot seems to have really provided a drone with a camera that is on par with the features of the DJI equivilant for half the price point.

BKWDR wrote:
    DJI are good but the market is catching up and the Parrot seems to have really provided a drone with a camera that is on par with the features of the DJI equivilant for half the price point.

There are definitely pros and cons, but yes, DJI definitely can and do charge a premium as they were early to the game and seem to have access to the latest features before everyone else..

Just arrived, happy with that.

They must have seen the influx of orders and noticed something odd.

Luckily they noticed after they shipped yours! Well done OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Just arrived, happy with that.

They must have seen the influx of orders and noticed something odd.

You have a beautiful thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

I'm delighted you got it but I'd say each and every one of us would love to be the owner of that thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bromley52 wrote: »
    I'm delighted you got it but I'd say each and every one of us would love to be the owner of that thumb.

The thumb was really on the button.

• Advertisement

Pique wrote: »
    Where would be a good place to buy one of these? Kinda hits the sweet spot with price/range/flying time for me.

seems to be only available from china / hong kong

https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-FIMI-A3-5_8G-1KM-FPV-With-2-axis-Gimbal-1080P-Camera-25mins-Flight-Time-GPS-RC-Drone-Quadcopter-RTF-p-1368969.html?ID=533034&cur_warehouse=CN

so factor in customs collection charge and VAT unless you can find somewhere shipping through Europe (e.g. sales location described as EU warehouse)

Advertisement