Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What time does trick or treating start?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Ah Halloween the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain. Samhain is the ancient celtic word for scobe, those tracksuit and baseball hat wearing scumbags that emerge from their winter hibernation to cause general anti social mayhem. This means gathering anything flammable and making large bonfires, usually in the middle of common area in their estate. These are lit as ancient symbols to summon the fire brigade god who, when he comes, is pelted with eggs or rocks. Scobes also bestow gifts of eggs at houses, rob cars and set them alight. They are nourished by the ancient Exilir “Dutch gold”, bestowed on them at harvest time to help them ward off the evil spirits of work and taxes, which we mortals have to endure in order to keep them in their entitled lifestyles.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,410 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Do not take sweets from strangers .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Are you sure fireworks are illegal are you really really sure!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

We had more trick or treaters than last year but there are still loads of sweets left over, oh dear, I guess I will just have to eat them!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if you don't have a treat...whats the trick?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

We had more trick or treaters than last year but there are still loads of sweets left over, oh dear, I guess I will just have to eat them!

Or...you could bring them into work tomorrow and share them out...

Or...you could bring them into work tomorrow and share them out...

Ah sadly I am too sickly to work and my wife works from home. Oh look, there is no alternative but to eat them or let them go to waste :D

Ah sadly I am too sickly to work and my wife works from home. Oh look, there is no alternative but to eat them or let them go to waste :D
    It's spelt "waist".

It's spelt "waist".

Says the tayto lover.

Says the tayto lover.
    I have very few these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Not really. It was a night for tricks and pranks certainly but the calling door to door is relatively new.

well i was doing it in the 70's so its not that new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Your wife should bring them into work and share them there. Seems like the best solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The 80s? Not exactly a tradition.

thinly veiled look at me i'm so old :)

Your wife should bring them into work and share them there. Seems like the best solution.

Umm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LLL11

Apparently this is the story of how trick or treating began (according to my local priest....so it must be true :D )

The 1st November is All Saints Day where the souls of the dead could come closer to the living than any other day in the year. The souls of family and friends that had passed were welcome, but the demons would also come. People would leave treats out for the demons as an offering in exchange for leaving them alone. Some people took advantage of this by dressing up as the evil demons and taking the treats from their neighbours. And so trick or treating was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ShadyAcres wrote: »
    Some people don't like Christmas. I love it. Some people feel nothing for Halloween, also me. It's called personal choice.

You choose to be a cheapskate - fair play :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I've nearly all the candy and love hearts gone, but when do we take down the decorations and stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

We had about 110-120 callers this year.
    I think our estate is seen as a good hunting ground; MPVs stuffed to the gills with kids drive in around 5:45 to disgorge their contents on the unsuspecting neighbours.
    Next year we'll be looking for proof of address or we'll ask Jose to park the bus across the entrance to the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I had a few this year, less that normal a lot of parents seem to go away for the midterm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

josip wrote: »
    We had about 110-120 callers this year.
    I think our estate is seen as a good hunting ground; MPVs stuffed to the gills with kids drive in around 5:45 to disgorge their contents on the unsuspecting neighbours.
    Next year we'll be looking for proof of address or we'll ask Jose to park the bus across the entrance to the estate.

one of my favourite urban myths the estate of big houses who hired security to stop children for the nearby social housing coming in on Halloween.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Tigger wrote: »
    thinly veiled look at me i'm so old :)

Not at all. Just that something anybody has done for 30years involving a pre-Christian celebration cannot constitute tradition.
    I never, nor need to, 'thinly veil' anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Not at all. Just that something anybody has done for 30years involving a pre-Christian celebration cannot constitute tradition.
    I never, nor need to, 'thinly veil' anything.

No doubt some of the recent fad for trick or treating is derived from the US. It started here though.

In Tipperary the kids sing for their supper. My gran folks were from there, and I was down there a few years ago on Oct 31st. it’s sweet. Much nicer than kids just standing there.

This country tradition is old and is related to other customs where people dress up and look for alms - wren boys, mummers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

They can go stale in a matter of days. so don't delay.

Advertisement