Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Middle aged men in grubby blue jeans and tracksuits

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭umop apisdn

kneemos wrote: »
    There's a hint of the ghey off the well dressed look in fairness.
    Maybe that's the problem.

Did you not get over the yes vote and homophobia yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Almost stopped shaking .

Zaph wrote: »
    No, the issue is that you've been prattling on for a couple of pages now about how much you hate a particular style of dress, and yet you refuse to offer any opinion other than that. I have other clothes that I wear depending on the occasion, but you tell me what is, in your view, acceptable for a middle aged man to wear other than jeans and t-shirts for day-to-day casual wear. Anything other than those clothes is not an acceptable answer by the way, I want specifics.

Other clothes ? There you go.
    If you keep asking the same question, I'll keep giving you the same answer.
    Literally anything other than the seemingly now compulsory uniform of the grown middle aged Irish man-child with grubby ill fitting blue jeans and tracksuits, hoodies etc.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Other clothes ? There you go.
    If you keep asking the same question, I'll keep giving you the same answer..

So basically you're trolling then? Fair enough, whatever amuses you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

I feel like back seat modding here. That is the second time you have given a response like this. If people voted no its their own prerogative just the same as if they are middle aged and want to wear jeans. I hope you never have any power or influence over other people op. By the way I am wearing jeans and an untucked tee shirt, no socks and crocs. I am nearly middle aged.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    So basically you're trolling then? Fair enough, whatever amuses you.

Are you that stuck ?, there's even a whole other men's section of shelves and hangers in penny's and dunnes that doesn't have blue jeans, and just as cheap.

Are you that stuck ?, there's even a whole other men's section of shelves and hangers in penny's and dunnes that doesn't have blue jeans, and just as cheap.

Don't think you're getting it.
    People can wear what they want and are not interested in your opinion .
    All sounds a bit snobbish to me.

Grueller wrote: »
    I feel like back seat modding here. That is the second time you have given a response like this. If people voted no its their own prerogative just the same as if they are middle aged and want to wear jeans. I hope you never have any power or influence over other people op. By the way I am wearing jeans and an untucked tee shirt, no socks and crocs. I am nearly middle aged.

You'll get over the yes vote too, like the previous two posters that tried to bring sexuality into it, maybe you the grubby blue jeans will protect the middle aged from all the marauding 'gheys' that have been released to terrorise old ireland is that the thinking ?

Don't think you're getting it.
    People can wear what they want and are not interested in your opinion .
    All sounds a bit snobbish to me.

penny's and dunnes is snobbish to you ? I don't think you're getting it, is it inverted snobbery you've got perhaps ?

You'll get over the yes vote too, like the previous two posters that tried to bring sexuality into it, maybe you the grubby blue jeans will protect the middle aged from all the marauding 'gheys' that have been released to terrorise old ireland is that the thinking ?

I never mentioned sexuality just the fact that you are using the referendum result to throw at posters who don't agree with your viewpoint. You know nothing about me, my lifestyle or how I voted. You are the one making wild assumptions here, that we are all sheep conforming to a uniform based on how we dress. Truth is most of us think that following fashion or spending too much time thinking about appearance is time wasted that could be better spent with family or on pastimes hobbies etc that we actually enjoy.

• Advertisement

penny's and dunnes is snobbish to you ? I don't think you're getting it, is it inverted snobbery you've got perhaps ?

Wouldn't have thought Penny's or Dunnes's was snobbish,more your attitude to jeans.

Dunne's clothes are ill fitting,uncomfortable and look cheap imo.
    Chinos and cheque shirts are obviously your thing.

I never mentioned sexuality just the fact that you are using the referendum result to throw at posters who don't agree with your viewpoint. You know nothing about me, my lifestyle or how I voted.

The other posters brought up sexuality and gay people, not me, and you jumped into defend their remarks.
    You are the one making wild assumptions here, that we are all sheep conforming to a uniform based on how we dress. Truth is most of us think that following fashion or spending too much time thinking about appearance is time wasted that could be better spent with family or on pastimes hobbies etc that we actually enjoy.

If that's the case why follow the middle aged Irish men's fashion of grubby jeans and tracksuits ?

Wouldn't have thought Penny's or Dunnes's was snobbish,more your attitude to jeans.

Dunne's clothes are ill fitting,uncomfortable and look cheap imo.
    Chinos and cheque shirts are obviously your thing.

Jeans are grand on the right person, not middle aged Irish men with ill fitting blue jeans and tracksuits trying to look like man-childs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

Jeans are grand on the right person, not middle aged Irish men with ill fitting blue jeans and tracksuits trying to look like man-childs.

I'm sure there are people who would find your dress sense ridiculous too. Whatever that may be, you still haven't answered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

You just keep repeating your idiotic claim. It's like arguing with a very stubborn mollusc.

There's nothing "childish" about jeans. They don't signal youth. They are just a form of clothing worn by people in an era who are now growing older.

( and I don't wear them but then I didn't when I was 20)

The other posters brought up sexuality and gay people, not me, and you jumped into defend their remarks.

No, I attacked your use of the referendum and kind of your aggressive posting style too. I never defended anybodys remarks precious. This thread hasn't went how you envisaged, has it?
    Now, enjoy the rest of it cos I am off to pull on cleaner jeans and t shirt, socks and a pair of comfy hiking boots to go over to my local to drink about 10 pints of red diesel.

No, I attacked your use of the referendum and kind of your aggressive posting style too. I never defended anybodys remarks precious. This thread hasn't went how you envisaged, has it?
    Now, enjoy the rest of it cos I am off to pull on cleaner jeans and t shirt, socks and a pair of comfy hiking boots to go over to my local to drink about 10 pints of red diesel.

Actually its gone exactly as planned, don't spill any on the jeans or the belly when you're giving outabout 'da gheys' and da vote, there's a good auld lad.

Actually its gone exactly as planned, don't spill any on your jeans when you're giving outabout 'da gheys' and da vote

Can't give out, at least not tonight, I'll be drinking with two mates, one of whom I was a witness for at his same sex civil partnership. Suppose he will have to go tho the toilet at some stage though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 I should coco!

When did the middle aged Irish male become so scruffy and useless looking ?
    Clinging onto their grubby out of shape blue jeans and t-shirts, that wouldn't look good on a 18 year old male model, never mind a grown man.
    They look even more stupid than Jeremy Clarkson does, and that's the thinner ones.

So...does everyone on boards with a 'witty' username just steal them from Reddit?

Sure seems that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

I've had great entertainment reading this thread for the last couple of hours but now it's time for Saturday night pints in the local with the lads,
    I'm off upstairs now to find my jeans, a polo shirt ( i might have a fresh one in the pile )
    and my trusty pair of runners,
    as there's a bit of rain about I might take my hoodie as well.
    I'll catch up on the thread when i'm back (about 1 ish) with my kebab.

• Advertisement

• I don't agree with the OP at all. I wear jeans and t shirts all the time (then again im 20s not middle aged).

What does annoy me though is when men wear those t shirts out with 'witty' slogans like "if found please return to the pub" and that kind of shiz, I find those kind of t shirts really tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

When did the middle aged Irish male become so scruffy and useless looking ?
    Clinging onto their grubby out of shape blue jeans and t-shirts, that wouldn't look good on a 18 year old male model, never mind a grown man.
    They look even more stupid than Jeremy Clarkson does, and that's the thinner ones.

A lot of middle aged men in their relatively normal jeans and polo shirts look at some 20 year old in his super skinny jeans, his far too tight shirt buttoned up to his neck, his hair clattered is some type of wax to held at some strange angle across and think look at the state of that fashion victim.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Mod: Don't drag other arguments into this. You were warned just a few hours ago.

Edit: If you have a problem with a post, report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

When you say jeans and tracksuits, do you mean jeans worn with tracksuit tops? Bit of the Ian Brown style?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Guys with one of those suit t-shirts, now that's lazy.

It's a suit for formal occasions. It's a t-shirt for casual situations. No lads, it's not. It's a t-shirt with a picture of a suit on it. F%ck sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

myshirt wrote: »
    Guys with one of those suit t-shirts, now that's lazy.

It's a suit for formal occasions. It's a t-shirt for casual situations. Is it.

No. It's not. It's a t-shirt with a picture of a suit on it. F%ck sake.

This may have been a dream you had. Deep breaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

I don't like (bad) jeans on (most) middle aged people either but ... There is no old man look you grow into

People wear what they wore when young. When sartorial fashions change that's obvious. For instance when growing up in the 80's and early nineties there were still 70+ yr old guys wearing the cloth cap. This seemed like an old man look only because the world changed around them. It's the look of youth from 1920-1940. Look at the old pictures of Irish revolutionaries. In the same period, in London, I saw old men wearing bowler hats. A decade earlier I would have seen old men in top hats.

The cloth cap wearers died off; modern 70 year olds were not hat wearers when young and they didn't wear jeans either, so they look pretty well dressed now. This isn't something they changed to at 40, having previously worn jeans -- They grew up in suits or jackets. Not jeans.

However jeans became the dress of young people around the 70's/ early 80's and for many or most that's stayed the same for casual and often work clothing. Middle aged men only seem to be "trying to be young" because the young still wear jeans.

What a vision so in 50 years Dublin's 70 year olds will be wearing grey tracksuits tucked into white socks..

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭doulikeit

Mortage, kids health,kids schooling, water bills, gas bills,electric bills, weekly shopping, car maintenance, petrol, lpt, kids hobbies, work, b#llock cancer, heart disease, diabetes, mental wellbeing, pets, tax, car insurance, home insurance, phone bills, sky bills, broadband, college funds, holidays, christmas,birthdays, beer belly, aches and pains and now your telling me I have to worry about my poxy jeans, fcuk you buddy fcuk you

doulikeit wrote: »
    Mortage, kids health,kids schooling, water bills, gas bills,electric bills, weekly shopping, car maintenance, petrol, lpt, kids hobbies, work, b#llock cancer, heart disease, diabetes, mental wellbeing, pets, tax, car insurance, home insurance, phone bills, sky bills, broadband, college funds, holidays, christmas,birthdays, beer belly, aches and pains and now your telling me I have to worry about my poxy jeans, fcuk you buddy fcuk you

So you think wearing a pair of scruffy blue jeans is going to solve your soft middle aged whimp problems ? Man up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

So you think wearing a pair of scruffy blue jeans is going to solve your soft middle aged whimp problems ? Man up.

Anyway OP. What age are you?

What do you wear? (I'd say I'll get no answer from ya' anyway :rolleyes:)

I'm 47 & I wear Jeans. (W32 L32). Been the same size for more than 20 years & I still think I can continue do so without any shame.:cool:

Advertisement