Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Middle aged men in grubby blue jeans and tracksuits

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Once you're middle aged if it is not beige and elasticated then you shouldn't be wearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think middle aged men dress rather well in my locality, I often see them wearing brown brogues, dark jeans, a shirt and sports coat. Or else a nice golf sweater or something. Some of the younger males dress very poorly imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Miley30

When did the middle aged Irish male become so scruffy and useless looking ?
    Clinging onto their grubby out of shape blue jeans and t-shirts, that wouldn't look good on a 18 year old male model, never mind a grown man.
    They look even more stupid than Jeremy Clarkson does, and that's the thinner ones.

What should they wear then ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Brogues were good till every irish lad wanted to be conor mcgregor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

meeeeh wrote: »
    Yes and if he was in banking, he would be told to go home and scrub up. Most people are not talented or lucky enough to ignore the dress code.

Bog all dress code in most IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

meeeeh wrote: »
    Yes and if he was in banking, he would be told to go home and scrub up. Most people are not talented or lucky enough to ignore the dress code.

"Never trust any enterprise that requires new clothes" Thoreau

You don't have to need remarkable talent or luck for many occupations where dress code is not required.

I don't like (bad) jeans on (most) middle aged people either but ... There is no old man look you grow into

People wear what they wore when young. When sartorial fashions change that's obvious. For instance when growing up in the 80's and early nineties there were still 70+ yr old guys wearing the cloth cap. This seemed like an old man look only because the world changed around them. It's the look of youth from 1920-1940. Look at the old pictures of Irish revolutionaries. In the same period, in London, I saw old men wearing bowler hats. A decade earlier I would have seen old men in top hats.

The cloth cap wearers died off; modern 70 year olds were not hat wearers when young and they didn't wear jeans either, so they look pretty well dressed now. This isn't something they changed to at 40, having previously worn jeans -- They grew up in suits or jackets. Not jeans.

However jeans became the dress of young people around the 70's/ early 80's and for many or most that's stayed the same for casual and often work clothing. Middle aged men only seem to be "trying to be young" because the young still wear jeans.

I think middle aged men dress rather well in my locality, I often see them wearing brown brogues, dark jeans, a shirt and sports coat. Or else a nice golf sweater or something. Some of the younger males dress very poorly imo.

A contradiction in terms. God save us from golf sweaters, especially draped over the shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Nermal

Severard wrote: »
    If you want to be concerned with what you are wearing then fine but for people to complain what others are wearing is ridiculous. Oculus is a new company that specializes in Virtual Reality (VR) technology, its founder is Palmer Luckey, is 22 years old, when he is in work he doesn't wear shoes (not even at board meetings) he has a completely laid back attitude and routinely is seen wearing cheap jeans and t-shirts. Yet he has completely reinvigorated the VR industry, his net worth is at least $500 million and he sold the company to Facebook for $2 billion.

Put simply what a person wears is irrelevant.

How surprising, a total nerd who wants to escape into a virtual world doesn't pay attention to what looks attractive in this one.

Whatever you wear makes a statement. Even if the statement is 'I have no aesthetic sense whatsoever'.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Nothing worse than the unisex grey tracksuit bottoms they (twenty-somethings) all wear today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭umop apisdn

Miley30 wrote: »
    What should they wear then ?

Is the groupthink really that bad, that the only acceptable choice for middle aged men is rotten blue jeans or tracksuits ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,174 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Is the groupthink really that bad, that the only acceptable choice for middle aged men is rotten blue jeans or tracksuits ?

No, most people here don't really care what middle aged men wear.
    Your the one that has an acceptable dress code for middle aged men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I'm 50, I wear jeans, t-shirts/sweatshirts/hoodies, steel-toe boots & a leather motorbike jacket.

Yes I am a biker, but it would be my clothing of choice regardless as they are comfortable, functional & timeless.

I wear a uniform in my day to day work because I am obliged to.

I don't feel comfortable in formal attire, shirt, tie, slacks, shoes etc., despite being in uniform most of my working life, it's just not me.

Why should I or anyone else have to conform to a dress code because of their age in their day to day existence?

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    I'm 50, I wear jeans, t-shirts/sweatshirts/hoodies, steel-toe boots & a leather motorbike jacket.

Yes I am a biker, but it would be my clothing of choice regardless as they are comfortable, functional & timeless.

I wear a uniform in my day to day work because I am obliged to.

I don't feel comfortable in formal attire, shirt, tie, slacks, shoes etc., despite being in uniform most of my working life, it's just not me.

Why should I or anyone else have to conform to a dress code because of their age in their day to day existence?

Bikers go out of their way to conform to their particular clics dress code and fit in, and middle aged men wearing rotten blue jeans and tracksuits is exactly conforming to the prevailing group think style dress code.

Fashion is the ultimate groupthink, particularly in people bucking the trend. The exception is people who design and wear their own unique clothing. That's nobody.

As I said these middle aged guys are wearing what they wore when young. That's always the case. Young people should move on from jeans, if they want a young look.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Still haven't told us what you think they should wear.Despite ridiculing them for wearing jeans.

kneemos wrote: »
    Still haven't told us what you think they should wear.Despite ridiculing them for wearing jeans.

Whatever they want, as long as it doesn't conform to the past it looking Irish/English middle age man groupthink uniform of grubby jeans and tracksuits. Other European men seem to be able to handle this apparently Irish/UK dilemma.

Bikers go out of their way to conform to their particular clics dress code and fit in, and middle aged men wearing rotten blue jeans and tracksuits is exactly conforming to the prevailing group think style dress code.
    Agreed to a certain extent, mainly because for me it's functional, comfortable & the only thing that will protect my ass when I'm on the bike if I have an off.

I care not a jot about cliques or fitting in, I've always been an anti-social outcast by nature :pac:

It's when society expects me to conform to a dress code that is 'age specific' that I have an issue with.

I like the clothes I wear, they are the clothes that I feel me in & that's the deciding factor.

Whatever they want, as long as it doesn't conform to the past it looking Irish/English middle age man groupthink uniform of grubby jeans and tracksuits. Other European men seem to be able to handle this apparently Irish/UK dilemma.

Whatever they want except what you don't like? That's probably giving yourself too much importance in the scheme of things.

And if you really think other Europeans don't like denim, well, you are wrong. It's the 80's across much of Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

Fúck everybody else, wear what you want and whatever makes you happy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Whatever they want except what you don't like? That's probably giving yourself too much importance in the scheme of things.

And if you really think other Europeans don't like denim, well, you are wrong. It's the 80's across much of Europe.

If the influx of immigrants are an indication stonewashed denim is high fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I remember when AH was a great read, now we have the likes of this crap about people wearing Jeans.

I'm not a fan of the manky looking grey tracksuit bottoms or the scruffy blue jeans with belly hanging our over it on anyone, male or female.

Is it my business what middle aged men wear? no, I wouldn't tell anyone what to wear, but surely it's about having a modicum of self respect and not go around looking like a complete slob as long as you have the means to dress better. You can pick up a lot of clothes that look better than that in your nearest Dunnes or Pennys so it's not a cost thing for most men.

I'm a middle aged woman who wears a lot of hippy/boho type clothes (clean and well presented I should add!) so I'm probably not one to give fashion advice anyway :pac:
    In fact I hate fashion, but that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

With all due respect, that's a load of b*llocks. There are certain minimum societal expectations which are healthy, such as not walking down Grafton Street with no shirt on. Similarly it's just not great when people go out in public wearing tracksuits and sh*tty clothes.

I always admire the continental Europeans when they come over, they are always better dressed and make the most of themselves.
    Mesrine65 wrote: »
    With respect Wojtek, fúck societal expectations, live your life as you see fit as long as you do no harm to others or yourself.

Took the words out of my mouth.

There are too many expectations drilled into people's heads that they think they have to live by. I feel bad for anyone who is getting dressed in the morning and thinks "Oh no, I can't wear this in case someone (who you may never talk to in your entire life) in Tesco thinks it's wrong to wear it"

I remember when AH was a great read, now we have the likes of this crap about people wearing Jeans.

Surely one of the great things about after hours is not having to conform, including not having to conform to the past it middle aged slob's now compulsory dress code of blue jeans, tracksuits etc.

Fashion is the ultimate groupthink, particularly in people bucking the trend. The exception is people who design and wear their own unique clothing. That's nobody. .

I make (sew and knit) some of my own clothing, as do some of my friends.

I agree with your point about fashion though. Then there's all the problems with low cost fast fashion-selling items dirt cheap made in sweatshops where workers often go hungry because they don't earn a living wage and sleep under their machines so overworked are they, plus the huge environmental damage the industry causes.

F*ck fashion and it's dictates.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Old Jakey wrote: »
    Or when they wear runners or cons. What are they thinking?
    Wtf are cons?

Surely one of the great things about after hours is not having to conform, including not having to conform to the past it middle aged slob's now compulsory dress code of blue jeans, tracksuits etc.
    May I be so bold as to ask how old you are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,174 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Wtf are cons?

Have a wild guess!

Advertisement