Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worlds first checkout free shop to open in Ireland

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I'm sure they did. and they were right.
    back then it was only an odd job lost but loads of jobs created by it. 1% lost and 50% created

now its maybe 95% jobs lost and only 20% created

the speed at which its happening is scary. 10 years has wiped out whole industries of jobs

Maybe, but its up to you to adapt. The world doesn't move at the pace of the slowest person.

you couldn't be more wrong. trades are dead. automation is killing it and about to kill it completely. when houses are factory built there will be no need for most trades,. CNCs will build everything

chefs will be a thing of the past eventually. its an easy job for a computer to do.
    probably able to automate it and get serious savings out of it. compare a kitchen to a automated production line and its obvious there are loads of room to shed humans from it

when the kitchen is automated the restaurant will the laid out to suite that with conveyer systems to remove any waiting staff

hair dressing is a trickier one but I'm sure it could be done a lot more efficiently with lasers etc to the point that 1 operator could cut loads of people at the same time

Things will always break and things will always need to be maintained. A house might be built by robots but it will be maintained by people. Trades are far from dead and there's a million houses and factories existing with plenty of work to do on them.
    Im talking about actual restaurants, not fast food places. Theres nothing right now to automate a restaurant kitchen. Would you like your waiter to be a person or a robot?

We're not in iRobot territory yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

the speed at which its happening is scary. 10 years has wiped out whole industries of jobs

And created whole new ones.

And thankfully so, or else we'd still be stuck making timber barrels and sending our kids up chimneys!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

And created whole new ones.

And thankfully so, or else we'd still be stuck making timber barrels and sending our kids up chimneys!

The barrel industry is doing very well these days. Since the increase in the number of distilleries and micro breweries.

I'm sure they did. and they were right.
    back then it was only an odd job lost but loads of jobs created by it. 1% lost and 50% created

now its maybe 95% jobs lost and only 20% created

I think you're panicking over nothing. If whole industries are being wiped out due to technology - how has Ireland of all places, which is the tax friendly home, let us not forget, to a lot of the worlds giant technology companies, basically got full employment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

eeguy wrote: »
    Maybe, but its up to you to adapt. The world doesn't move at the pace of the slowest person.

I agree . I'm always upgrade equipment an moving with the times.

but I should be replacing equipment and not equipment replacing me

I think you're panicking over nothing. If whole industries are being wiped out due to technology - how has Ireland of all places, which is the tax friendly home, let us not forget, to a lot of the worlds giant technology companies, basically got full employment?

I'm not panicking. but whole sale automation is bad for the country

I'm not panicking. but whole sale automation is bad for the country

How?

All this rapid increase in and adoption of technology over the past 50 years say, has benefited the country enormously.

And lets not forget the most fundamental building block of industry, local and global alike - if you're making stuff, you need people to buy it to make money. If robots take all the jobs, who will buy the bloody stuff the robots make?

Things will always break and things will always need to be maintained. A house might be built by robots but it will be maintained by people. Trades are far from dead and there's a million houses and factories existing with plenty of work to do on them.
    Im talking about actual restaurants, not fast food places. Theres nothing right now to automate a restaurant kitchen. Would you like your waiter to be a person or a robot?

We're not in iRobot territory yet.

there will always be stuff breaking . but the way everything is gone so intelligent and complicated it is cheaper to replace these things rather than repair. houses will go the same. the house will signal that an item is broken and a tech will replace it.
    that's not the same as having a proper trade where you understand the system and can fix things

an automated kitchen is very achievable if they wanted to.
    I would rather have a person waiting the table than a robot

How?

All this rapid increase in and adoption of technology over the past 50 years say, has benefited the country enormously.

there are benefits to it don't get me wrong but I think we need to have jobs
    the amount of people that are sitting on the dole because there are no jobs for them is crazy. we need to make stuff in this country and do it in a way that creates jobs.

• Advertisement

there are benefits to it don't get me wrong but I think we need to have jobs
    the amount of people that are sitting on the dole because there are no jobs for them is crazy. we need to make stuff in this country and do it in a way that creates jobs.

We have more or less full employment:confused::confused:

This shop is not doing away with employment - it's merely relocating it, from cashiers to the people who make, install and maintain whatever technology is employed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Can you not personalise the issue? The question is about most humans not a particular poster.

I'm talking in more general terms.

this shop is more a tip of the iceberg .

full employment , nowhere near it
    I was in the post office last week and most of the 25 people in front of me signed on for the dole

How?

And lets not forget the most fundamental building block of industry, local and global alike - if you're making stuff, you need people to buy it to make money. If robots take all the jobs, who will buy the bloody stuff the robots make?

You’ve articulated the problem but not the solution.

With regards to the past remember that the state expanded rapidly in the 20C. It can’t do that again.

Can you not personalise the issue? The question is about most humans not a particular poster.

its ok. I can battle my own corner. I'm very progressive and have loads of tools that others don't have, mostly due to sticking with how it was always done

How?

this is my opinion too. if we have no jobs how can we make money to buy stuff.
    by over automating stuff we are removing ourselves from being able to support ourselves

its ok. I can battle my own corner. I'm very progressive and have loads of tools that others don't have, mostly due to sticking with how it was always done

I wasn’t really defending you. I just asked him to not personalise the debate.

Sure some people can skill up but that’s not an argument for everybody.

I wasn’t really defending you. I just asked him to not personalise the debate.

Sure some people can skill up but that’s not an argument for everybody.

My answer wasn't personal. It was very general.

Every job has been professionalised to some extent over the last 40 years.
    Childminder,
    Cleaner,
    Landscaping,
    Carer,
    Gym trainer,

Everything that used to just be experience based now has courses and certs attached to it.

40 years ago you could walk into most jobs with a leaving cert. Now you need a relevant degree and probably some post-grad qualification too.
    That's the way of the world and it's only going to get more academic.

My answer wasn't personal. It was very general.

Every job has been professionalised to some extent over the last 40 years.
    Childminder,
    Cleaner,
    Landscaping,
    Carer,
    Gym trainer,

Everything that used to just be experience based now has courses and certs attached to it.

40 years ago you could walk into most jobs with a leaving cert. Now you need a relevant degree and probably some post-grad qualification too.
    That's the way of the world and it's only going to get more academic.

Most graduates are not in fact working in relevant fields. And to be frank the leaving cert is too academic for most menial jobs, of which there are many.

Most graduates are not in fact working in relevant fields. And to be frank the leaving cert is too academic for most menial jobs, of which there are many.

True, but that doesn't change anything.
    Sure if you want to work at a checkout you just need to be able to read and count, but good luck getting your first job in Tescos with less than a leaving cert.

• Advertisement

You’ve articulated the problem but not the solution.

With regards to the past remember that the state expanded rapidly in the 20C. It can’t do that again.

If it done it once, why can't it do it again? In fact it is probably in the process of doing it right now!
    this is my opinion too. if we have no jobs how can we make money to buy stuff.
    by over automating stuff we are removing ourselves from being able to support ourselves

Even if it was a problem (I don't believe it is, but lets say it is for the sake of argument) it would be a self limiting problem.
    Nobody is going to go to the time bother and expense of setting up a factory full of robots, producing stuff that no one can buy!

Advertisement