Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Renjit wrote: »
    They dont have data for medical professional's deaths because of Covid. Expecting data on reporting of deaths is not something they would do. When less data can paint a rosy picture, why bother.

But we are talking over a billion people in India not social distancing in any meaningful way. I can’t see how under reporting or marginal differences in median age can account for the lack of millions of deaths we would be forecasting in Europe if we had that population.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

manniot2 wrote: »
    India’s median population age is almost the exact same as Peru, and is similar to Brazil.

As for under reporting of deaths, do they have excess deaths in general?

Excess deaths in the countries mentioned are 2-3x times higher than official deaths..easy to find the info online

Yes Peru and Latin America have similar median age as India but enormous deaths. Obviously that speaks to the fact India is massively underreporting deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nice simple graphic on superspreading

https://vis.sciencemag.org/covid-clusters/

At one of the press conferences he said 95% if us are doing the right thing but that is not enough. It's the reason the R0 didn't get out of hand but not enough to get it down below 1.
    Well, that's quite a change from most people doing most things right most of the time!

Article here on how tiny genetic differences may affect the severity of COVID.
    Unknown factors are clearly leaving some people vulnerable to the pandemic’s worst effects even though some of them are young, are not overweight and do not suffer from other obvious health problems. Scientists think that tiny genetic differences are causing some to be struck down while many others are spared.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/nov/01/covids-effect-on-health-blamed-on-tiny-genetic-variations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

At one of the press conferences he said 95% if us are doing the right thing but that is not enough. It's the reason the R0 didn't get out of hand but not enough to get it down below 1.

That sounds like hes talking bull**** tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

That sounds like hes talking bull**** tbh

I thought Nphet was infallible?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I thought Nphet was infallible?

I think the only people who acc give good info from nphet are colm henry and cillian de gascun, rest are out of their depth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

It is not desirable to open pubs in December. It is important that people can visit their family or invite granny to dinner at Christmas. That will not be possible if people have been out spreading Covid in pubs for a month before.

For me, it's not whether the "pubs should open" - it's how they operate while open that is more important. It seems reasonable that they should be allowed open, but if cases are still running high, limits on numbers gathering within pubs/restaurants should be implemented.

Open pubs, let 2/3 people go for a pint. But not 10 lads out on a session. Breaking up tables to smaller numbers with social distancing would allow some semblance of normality. But allowing unlimited numbers at Xmas will not be a good idea imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

What's the point in opening pubs around Christmas and then closing down again in 4 weeks? Its probably better to wait until rapid testing if available or a vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Eod100 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted before or if there's anything in it. Has anyone seen any change in HSPC or this being covered anywhere?

Would think HSE and/or NPHET would have to acknowledge any change which results in reduction in reporting of cases.

https://twitter.com/deller89/status/1318585536483905538
    Someone asked him on Twitter for announcement and he hasn't replied. If that was the case and based on a minimum of 20% being asymptomatic at time of test, you would expect the positivety rate drop by 20% In a day. I can only see the 7 day average, I'd be curious if it's dropped as much in a single day though or is it just some random person on Twitter spewing rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

Hello. Dr. De Gascun explaining at the moment, the outlook I have indicated to you all earlier. Level 3 effectively maintains an R0 of 1. A stable position can be sustained at this level, but not with greater relaxation of restriction. And on the other side, how a Level 3 type programme is not sufficient to suppress the virus once R0 exceeds one, and or, case numbers become, or are projected to become, higher than health care capacity can handle. You can listen back to it on the RTE radio player shortly :

https://www.rte.ie/radio/

and I shall be happy to answer any question here that people have on it. To avoid some of the repetition here and a constant answering of the same questions, a brief outline could perhaps be added to the helpful opening post on this thread that was written by the creators/moderators. It will help many people to a fuller understanding of the situation, and how it will be handled and affect their lives over the coming year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Hello. Dr. De Gascun explaining at the moment, the outlook I have indicated to you all earlier. Level 3 effectively maintains an R0 of 1. A stable position can be sustained at this level, but not with greater relaxation of restriction. And on the other side, how a Level 3 type programme is not sufficient to suppress the virus once R0 exceeds one, and or, case numbers become or are projected to become higher than health care capacity can handle. You can listen back to it on the RTE radio player shortly :

and I shall be happy to answer any question here that people have on it. To avoid some of the repetition here and a constant answering of the same questions, a brief outline could perhaps be added to the helpful opening post on this thread that was written by the creators/moderators. It will help many people to a fuller understanding of the situation, and how it will be handled and affect their lives over the coming year.

This is all spin to conceal the fact they simply didnt leave enough time to see whether a certain level was working or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Hello. Dr. De Gascun explaining at the moment, the outlook I have indicated to you all earlier. Level 3 effectively maintains an R0 of 1. A stable position can be sustained at this level, but not with greater relaxation of restriction. And on the other side, how a Level 3 type programme is not sufficient to suppress the virus once R0 exceeds one, and or, case numbers become, or are projected to become, higher than health care capacity can handle. You can listen back to it on the RTE radio player shortly :

Definitely Tony H!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

manniot2 wrote: »
    Not trolling, genuinely wondering if someone can explain why we are not seeing mass deaths in poor countries like India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, most of Africa? Last I saw India had 100k deaths with a population of over 1billion. Having been in India and Sri Lanka I can’t imagine social distancing being enforced greatly.

At a guess... The Indian government are not on the slums off cities counting the dead and updating a database with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭prunudo

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Definitely Tony H!

They certainly have an odd posting style whoever they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It is not desirable to open pubs in December. It is important that people can visit their family or invite granny to dinner at Christmas. That will not be possible if people have been out spreading Covid in pubs for a month before.

Yup... I dunno about anyone else. But I'd quite like to see my parents and siblings after 2-3 months for Xmas than sit in a pub drinking pints...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

mloc123 wrote: »
    At a guess... The Indian government are not on the slums off cities counting the dead and updating a database with them.

I dont know what you think about India or what your experience with India is. Do you think its like something our of the Walking Dead? Bodies left to rot everywhere or such?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

mloc123 wrote: »

India also has a far right government, that are most likely deliberately lying about the numbers dead. It should be noted that based on official figures, they are still the 2nd or 3rd worst country for infections right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Family member whose house I had to enter the other day just told me that their child was a close contact of a child in their class some weeks ago. They told me this some time after I entered their house, stayed to do work and left. They did not have their child follow-up tested and did not tell me about the initial negative test before I entered the house to do the task required.

They need me to come back again on Tuesday and I'm not keen, because even though their child tested negative last time, it doesn't mean that they were negative. The follow up test would have been the clarification but they didn't want him to have to feel the discomfort of the test again. Their child never showed symptoms but they shared a desk in school with students who tested positive the same week.

I don't want to overreact but I'm fairly incensed that they didn't bring their child for the follow up test, didn't tell me about the situation before requiring that I enter their house and only told me about it incidentally after I had done what they wanted. Feeling very reluctant about finishing the job.

Just to add that I am in the high risk category due to health issues and I care for after family members who would most definitely have bad outcomes. I'm thinking that I'll have to get another test now and I only feckin had one two weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I dont know what you think about India or what your experience with India is. Do you think its like something our of the Walking Dead? Bodies left to rot everywhere or such?

The Indian government let people starve to death during there lock down. Day labourers were left with out any money and they in some cases walked 1000s of miles to there home villages. The far right government in India has been very cruel to a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Gas 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Can those of us without grandparents go for a pint instead, those with grannies stay at home.

If you isolate for 14 days perhaps you could. But we know you won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

So you’re effectively saying that level 3 after six weeks of level 5, where the R0 has reduced to under 1 - will keep the numbers stable. This could well be true, but the Government also brought in a ban on household visits prior to the Level 5 announcement. People need to live rather than exist over the next 6 months - there needs to be an end game and longer term strategy. I don’t think people will take kindly to being separated at Christmas & will take chances. It could be an idea to highlight at risk groups & come up with strategies on how to see at risk relatives safely.

If you isolate for 14 days perhaps you could. But we know you won't.

Why would I need to isolate? I went to the pub when they were open and obeyed the restrictions they operated under. I must have missed the 14 day isolation period where was this mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

s1ippy wrote: »
    Family member whose house I had to enter the other day just told me that their child was a close contact of a child in their class some weeks ago. They told me this some time after I entered their house, stayed to do work and left. They did not have their child follow-up tested and did not tell me about the initial negative test before I entered the house to do the task required.

They need me to come back again on Tuesday and I'm not keen, because even though their child tested negative last time, it doesn't mean that they were negative. The follow up test would have been the clarification but they didn't want him to have to feel the discomfort of the test again. Their child never showed symptoms but they shared a desk in school with students who tested positive the same week.

I don't want to overreact but I'm fairly incensed that they didn't bring their child for the follow up test, didn't tell me about the situation before requiring that I enter their house and only told me about it incidentally after I had done what they wanted. Feeling very reluctant about finishing the job.

Just to add that I am in the high risk category due to health issues and I care for after family members who would most definitely have bad outcomes. I'm thinking that I'll have to get another test now and I only feckin had one two weeks ago.

You should tell them what you wrote on this past. Not comfortable with the situation. It may make them think before they irresponsible again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

s1ippy wrote: »

The child was a close contact weeks ago so don't see the issue here. Take the usual precautions, wear a mask etc.

Why would you need to go for a test. Nobody tested positive, your not a close contact of a confirmed case and you've no symptoms so you won't get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I don't know what your experience of India is but his opinion is probably closer to reality than yours seems to be

Of the estimated 56 million deaths in India in 2014 it's thought that only half were officially registered. Most people in India die at home rather than hospitals, no matter what the cause of death, their cause of deaths for the most part are compeltely unknown.

So if you think India's COVID deaths are anything close to a reflection of reality then you're very overly optimistic. At the very most it accounts for just those who died in hospital settings in the major cities. In some Indian states those who die of COVID in hospital are not counted as a COVID if they have an underlying condition as well. So yeh, think you might get the picture of how accurate India's covid death toll of 120,000 is now.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-28228177

wadacrack wrote: »
    You should tell them what you wrote on this past. Not comfortable with the situation. It may make them think before they irresponsible again

He said the child was a close contact weeks ago. Where's the irresponsibility?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I don't know what your experience of India is but his opinion is probably closer to reality than yours seems to be

Of the estimated 56 million deaths in India in 2014 it's thought that only half were officially registered. Most people in India die at home rather than hospitals, no matter what the cause of death, their cause of deaths for the most part are compeltely unknown.

So if you think India's COVID deaths are anything close to a reflection of reality then you're very naive. At the very most it accounts for just those who died in hospital settings

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-28228177

Are their hospitals overflowing etc like we always project here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement