Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,486 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Who needed a mask in April? The only place most people went where there was other people was the supermarket

Health care workers.

Food production, manufacturing all other essential work and services where people came in contact.

Not everyone sat at home and drank cans and watched netflix.

Boggles wrote: »
    Health care workers.

Food production, manufacturing all other essential work and services where people came in contact.

Not everyone sat at home and drank cans and watched netflix.

The numbers at work today is a multiple of those in the Spring. Where I work about 50% of employees continued to work onsite in the spring and 50% from home. Of the 50% on home work, nearly all are back onsite part time and about half back full time.

Interestingly from March to June there were 3 cases in employees who continued to work onsite with no mandatory masks, and from August to November there were 15 among the same group of employees. In none of the cases did contact tracing identify a case of transmission at work. This is an observation, not a commentary

Interestingly from March to June there were 3 cases in employees who continued to work onsite with no mandatory masks, and from August to November there were 15 among the same group of employees. In none of the cases did contact tracing identify a case of transmission at work. This is an observation, not a commentary

Schools? :)

Schools? :)

At least 3 were as a result of the Galway county hurling final

Yep, 30 people drinking out of the same large cup will do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

3???? Dozens more like it

frank8211 wrote: »
    3???? Dozens more like it

At least 3 in my workplace

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

So when will primary school students be wearing masks seeing as their classrooms are usually cramped, over-crowded and under ventilated, and they are not/don't keep 1m apart.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1202/1181901-covid-19-who/

"WHO advises that the general public should wear a non-medical mask in indoor (eg shops, shared workplaces, schools) or outdoor settings where physical distancing of at least one metre cannot be maintained," the new guidance says.

"If indoors, unless ventilation has been assessed to be adequate, WHO advises that the general public should wear a non-medical mask, regardless of whether physical distancing of at least one metre can be maintained."

At this stage non medical masks should be fazed out for indoor cramped conditions and medical grade masks or at least filters in face coverings recommended.

But that's the WHO for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

At this stage non medical masks should be fazed out for indoor cramped conditions and medical grade masks or at least filters in face coverings recommended.

But that's the WHO for you.

If only the WHO knew about this message board, they could learn so much.

• Advertisement

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    If only the WHO knew about this message board, they could learn so much.

Or took a courtesy glance at the Asian Countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

Wondering at what point a school gets temporarily closed? My child's school now has 6 different classes quarantined since mid November. Most recent case was today. That is nearly half the school. Am considering keeping my child out til after Christmas holidays at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Wondering at what point a school gets temporarily closed? My child's school now has 6 different classes quarantined since mid November. Most recent case was today. That is nearly half the school. Am considering keeping my child out til after Christmas holidays at this point.

I don't know at what point they close a school or if it is down to the individual school or the HSE.
    But if that were my child's school, I would be taking them out at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I don't know at what point they close a school or if it is down to the individual school or the HSE.

Schools cannot make the decision to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Nothing whatsoever to do with the school. They have ZERO input into that decision making process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

School has zero say. DES will tell them to reopen even if they try

School has zero say. DES will tell them to reopen even if they try

As witnessed before Halloween with that school in Tarbert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Is it the HSE or the DES then that made the decision to close any of the schools which did closev?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Is it the HSE or the DES then that made the decision to close any of the schools which did closev?

It’s the public health team who decide what happens in a school with a positive case from no close contacts to a number of close contacts to isolating a class to closing the school.

I presume DES signs off on the decision but it is public health teams who make the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

Some schools seem to getting closed temporarily by hse and I just wonder what cutoff point is. Boys school in ring send for example. Just think Covid is so hard to shift from a school once there are enough cases floating around. some kids coming back to school after staying home for 14 days due to positive cases in siblings/parents and then testing positive themselves (after testing negative originally) beyond the normal incubation time

• Advertisement

Very much the public health team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Some schools seem to getting closed temporarily by hse and I just wonder what cutoff point is. Boys school in ring send for example. Just think Covid is so hard to shift from a school once there are enough cases floating around. some kids coming back to school after staying home for 14 days due to positive cases in siblings/parents and then testing positive themselves (after testing negative originally) beyond the normal incubation time

I honestly don’t think anyone knows what the cut off point is. It is extremely difficult to find clear cut information. The definition of a close contact in a school setting changed in October. The new definition is as clear as mud - the bottom line is public health decides.
    I did hear in relation to the school in Cork that cases only started coming to light when parents contacted their gp’s ( who subsequently sent children for testing ) as they were unhappy with the ph teams response. I do think that in that instance the ph teams hand was forced.
    I hope that , that school closure will help focus the ph teams on identifying and preventing the issues which lead to widespread spread across the school community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭combat14

Healthcare workers, schoolchildren and students are among the groups who have had the highest number of Covid-19 infections, according to new data released to the Irish Independent.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/health-staff-schoolchildren-and-students-are-worst-hit-by-covid-infection-39833650.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

combat14 wrote: »
    Healthcare workers, schoolchildren and students are among the groups who have had the highest number of Covid-19 infections, according to new data released to the Irish Independent.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/health-staff-schoolchildren-and-students-are-worst-hit-by-covid-infection-39833650.html

Coiour me surprised, said no one

Fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Fake news.
    Paywalled news!

EofN0TiWEAExtej?format=jpg&name=medium

Colleges? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

It's not surprising at all- these should be pretty much the only three places where people are still congregating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Is this the first admission that schools are a problem.

I don’t have a problem with it either, but it’s good to see that they are acknowledging that education settings are a driver of case numbers.

With schools open realistically case numbers are not going to go down to double digits.

I’m going to take my kids out of school a few days earlier so Grandparents are safer to call for Christmas. Maybe even get a test done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Is this the first admission that schools are a problem.

I don’t have a problem with it either, but it’s good to see that they are acknowledging that education settings are a driver of case numbers.

With schools open realistically case numbers are not going to go down to double digits.

I’m going to take my kids out of school a few days earlier so Grandparents are safer to call for Christmas. Maybe even get a test done.

Well Sam McConkey let a little slip last week on Claire Byrne show

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement