Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the catch with GoMo? Why unlimited everything for €13?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Is GoMo actually unlimited? Or is it "unlimited", meaning they'll throttle the connection to practically unusable after 100GB? Can I download 500GB a month? 1TB?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Is GoMo actually unlimited? Or is it "unlimited", meaning they'll throttle the connection to practically unusable after 100GB? Can I download 500GB a month it? 1TB?

After 120gb in a month they slow it down.

Gomo.ie/pricing

DopeTech wrote: »
    After 120gb in a month they slow it down.

Gomo.ie/pricing

Thank you! This is exactly my problem with the use of the word "unlimited". It's very misleading.

Thank you! This is exactly my problem with the use of the word "unlimited". It's very misleading.

Eir had to stop using it, that's why they introduced "No limits" data instead. Gomo must be getting around it on the fact that it doesn't cut off they just slow it down.

Eir had to stop using it, that's why they introduced "No limits" data instead. Gomo must be getting around it on the fact that it doesn't cut off they just slow it down.

That's a joke! They should not be allowed to use "No limits" data either. I just checked their terms, it's 120GB.

• Advertisement

That's a joke! They should not be allowed to use "No limits" data either. I just checked their terms, it's 120GB.

While I don't agree with it we should all be wise enough to their tricks at this stage.That's why everyone should read the small print of any deals before moving or taking out contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Gomo throttled speed over FUP is reportedly 5Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

TheChizler wrote: »
    Roaming outside the EU might be an issue though I haven't had reason to look into it yet, there are no US bundles or things like that so roaming charges might be significant.

Even getting signal was an issue for me outside the EU. It wouldn't register to any network and left me without any texts or calls for my whole trip.

Couldn't get verification texts from AIB or anything while abroad trying to top up my Revolut account.

A nightmare, and their support was rubbish. Which is why I left. Anything Eir touches seems to turn to sh1te.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Gomo throttled speed over FUP is reportedly 5Mbps

that's actually not that bad. I haven't hit it yet.

can anyone confirm?

the thing that would put me off going to 48/ three is the hassle of topping up every 30 days - just much more convenient on direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭christy c

glasso wrote: »
    that's actually not that bad. I haven't hit it yet.

can anyone confirm?

the thing that would put me off going to 48/ three is the hassle of topping up every 30 days - just much more convenient on direct debit.

You can set 48 to renew automatically

• Advertisement

christy c wrote: »
    You can set 48 to renew automatically

fair enough.

any idea what happens if you go past 100Gb on 48 - is there a post limit throttling data speed or are you just cut off?

(assuming 5 megabit still provided on GoMo post 80Gb limit).

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

glasso wrote: »
    fair enough.

any idea what happens if you go past 100Gb on 48 - is there a post limit throttling data speed or are you just cut off?

(assuming 5 megabit still provided on GoMo post 80Gb limit).
    GoMo fair-usage limit is now 120GB. 48's 100GB is a hard allowance. Hit it and then you're cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You can block premium rate calls and texts.

48 is cheaper and no bill surprises as it's PAYG and there's no hidden charges.

Sign up and buy first membership by 10th November to avail of 7.99 deal. Same coverage as 3.

I know your trying to sell 48... But the O2,3 network is crap. It always has been , underfunded and over prescribed and white labeled across multiple different companies. 48 being one of the sub brands.

And i used Three for 9 years via work. Only recently moved to Vodafone.

I currently run Eir and Vodafone, both better than 3. But i have 3 has a backup for internet at home. its good for that (at my location)

Quackster wrote: »
    GoMo fair-usage limit is now 120GB. 48's 100GB is a hard allowance. Hit it and then you're cut off.

cheers.

didn't know that it had gone up to 120gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Damien360

listermint wrote: »
    I know your trying to sell 48... But the O2,3 network is crap. It always has been , underfunded and over prescribed and white labeled across multiple different companies. 48 being one of the sub brands.

I currently run Eir and Vodafone, both better than 3. But i have 3 has a backup for internet at home. its good for that (at my location)

Very much location dependant. From travelling around pre Covid and travelling for work, the following is what I see.

Our house had 48, Three and Vodafone on different mobiles at the same time.

48 is perfectly good as long as you are in a town/city. Once you travel between towns, it's rubbish. It doesn't seem to jump between masts well at all.

Three is excellent in towns/cities and only falls down in very rural areas. Nothing like 48. Threes customer care is awful. They like the chat online but will leave you hanging for hours and don't honour offers given. But we stay because there is no better competition.

Vodafone works all over the country. I have that for work. The rest of the house is now on three as it gives the best data allowance for the price.

We had Tesco mobile at one point and it was identical to 48 in issues. All fine in static location and in a town but hopeless on the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

What do you mean by "on the move" Is that speeding down motorway or in the wilds somewhere?

beachhead wrote: »
    What do you mean by "on the move" Is that speeding down motorway or in the wilds somewhere?

If you mean my last post above yours, then yes. My wife couldn't use it in the car. Kept dropping. Tesco wasnt much better outside of townlands either. In our home sitting on the couch it worked for calls. But pick your location carefully as often there was no signal and especially no data once you left a town.

Damien360 wrote: »
    If you mean my last post above yours, then yes. My wife couldn't use it in the car. Kept dropping. Tesco wasnt much better outside of townlands either. In our home sitting on the couch it worked for calls. But pick your location carefully as often there was no signal and especially no data once you left a town.
    Was data roaming switched off?

Was data roaming switched off?

No. Definitely not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

listermint wrote: »

Very much location dependant. Always trial a sim for a week before committing.
    In my case, I’ve been Meteor for over 15 years. I have family in eircom so always had the family and friends offers.

Swapped to gomo as I was never tied into the upgrade system, always bough unlocked and used the cheaper plan to make the figures stack up. Gomo and eir were so bad in my area, I’m now with 48 and the difference is night and day.

I have LTE in my house with 48 where I barely had one bar edge on gomo. I can actually make and receive calls inside my house with 48 as opposed to gomo where I had to stand at a 37 degree angle to the pillar in the front garden :)

I haven’t had a call catcher text since I’ve swapped.

I’m a happy porter but as a above, test in your specific location and try test with your own number so your doing regular day to day stuff like calling, texting, whatsapping and browsing etc

I also have Vodafone in my work phone. I think that’s the superior network in Ireland at the moment but you obviously pay the premium for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭James2020App

I have a very basic GoMo question and it is not worth opening another thread about. I am attempting to connect it to a router and selecting the network manually, which of the following networks does GoMo fall under?

Is it: 02, Three, Meteor, EE Internet, EE or Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

I have a very basic GoMo question and it is not worth opening another thread about. I am attempting to connect it to a router and selecting the network manually, which of the following networks does GoMo fall under?

Is it: 02, Three, Meteor, EE Internet, EE or Vodafone?

Meteor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭christy c

Did gomo pass on the VAT reduction to existing customers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

I've had GoMo since the very start and little or no issues, asides from the cringeworhy adverts on TV teenagers wearing bright garish clothes and jumping around to some jingle it's a solid network.

SB71 wrote: »
    I've had GoMo since the very start and little or no issues, asides from the cringeworhy adverts on TV teenagers wearing bright garish clothes and jumping around to some jingle it's a solid network.

Sup
    Playstation
    Wack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I was with Vodafone for years paying full whack for the better quality network. Changed to GoMo last month, the speed is somewhat slower and the coverage inferior but at this stage pretty happy with the downgrade given the dramatic price drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I just lost a 10 euro discount with VF, on a SIM only plan, so now paying 35 pm.

I don't agree with 35 pm.

I am searching for deals, and found this discussion, and I hear what Shiny is saying.

35 to 13 is a huge drop..................

Geuze wrote: »
    I just lost a 10 euro discount with VF, on a SIM only plan, so now paying 35 pm.

I don't agree with 35 pm.

I am searching for deals, and found this discussion, and I hear what Shiny is saying.

35 to 13 is a huge drop..................

35 to 7.99 is an even bigger drop!

Check out 48.ie, they are owned by 3.

- 100 GB ROI data
    - unlimited calls
    - unlimited texts
    - 10 GB EU data

If you use a referral link to sign up you can get your 2nd month free.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058109572/143/#post115038238

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057998585/1

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

As far as drop out and low coverage I'm finding it the worst I've been with so far. Most of my driving is west Wicklow and kildare. Constantly poor signal strength but for 9.99 I'll live with it for now. There is a mast 700 meters from my house which carries them so it's grand most of the time. It's fine but if you are driving through countryside a lot and need to be on calls I'm not sure it's for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Just be aware that a few people (not many TBF) have had problems with 2FA SMS and couldn't get it resolved as Gomo just blamed everyone else except themselves.

IMO, if you're paying a bill for a service then issues like that should be resolved. And it doesn't seem to bother Comreg either as AFAIK there's no obligation on providers to support 2FA SMS....whereas there is an obligation to support Premium Rate SMS...go figure.

Think this is what I'm experiencing. I can't get any one time authentication texts from KBC, so I have to call them asking them to disable it (which they do for one hour) anytime I want to move money/pay a bill online.

Anyone else in the same boat? They sent me an email asking me to ask people I know on various networks if they can txt me to find out 'what network' is causing the problem.

Advertisement