Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Enhancement request- make the remote bigger, wouldn't go missing as easily!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Technique

dinneenp wrote: »

I'm thinking of getting a luminous skin for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mollymac57

Not that I could see. It’s the early version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

dinneenp wrote: »

I think the Home button shouldn't be between the direction pad and the play/pause button. I constantly hit home by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I got a bright cover from China, euro.

Re virgin media, yes it works but you need mouse toggle and set orientation. I'd also recommend you've the searching completed on phone etc so you can pick easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Abiya041

Just got a firestick. I'm stuck on screen where it says press home button to pair remote. Not working. Have tried all the possible fixes but still not working. Has anyone else encountered the same issue and anyone know how to solve it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

Abiya041 wrote: »
    Just got a firestick. I'm stuck on screen where it says press home button to pair remote. Not working. Have tried all the possible fixes but still not working. Has anyone else encountered the same issue and anyone know how to solve it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GEARX33JWH4K6WHJ

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

Anyone else having problems with BBC iPlayer app? I see the logo when I open but then it fades to black and doesnt go any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Anyone else having issues with their sticks just dropping the WiFi??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Yep had this with a 4k version. I reset the device, reentered the WiFi details but it made no difference. In the end I got an ethernet adapter for the stick as I had homeplugs & no issues since.
    I've read online of many others having this issue but no solution.
    I also have a standard firestick in another room & have never had an issue with the WiFi.
    The 4k one is the same room as the router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I just purchased my first fire stick. Went for the 4K model and got the Ethernet adapter and a set of home plugs. Best decision ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bobby4hill

Anyone have luck signing up with Peacock for the premier league next season?

NBC worked like a charm last season but Peacock won't accept my AIB card this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

You'll need to use PayPal, my revolut card wouldn't work signing up to Peacock but my revolut card worked once I paid via Paypal

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭oodles19

Ohmeha wrote: »
    You'll need to use PayPal, my revolut card wouldn't work signing up to Peacock but my revolut card worked once I paid via Paypal

Hi, did you pay directly using your Revolut or via PayPal? I'm trying to pay using Revolut via PayPal but it's getting rejected for some reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Spotted this fire stick alternative on AliExpress. Comes with a few apps built in it seems including chromecast

oodles19 wrote: »
    Hi, did you pay directly using your Revolut or via PayPal? I'm trying to pay using Revolut via PayPal but it's getting rejected for some reason...
    Maybe temporarily (if paying annual) setup on Paypal your preferred card to your Revolut and your primary currency as USD and see if that works?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭oodles19

Maybe temporarily (if paying annual) setup on Paypal your preferred card to your Revolut and your primary currency as USD and see if that works?

To be honest, the free version of Peacock seems to be detecting that I'm using a VPN (Cyberghost) on both my Firestick and phone, so I'll probably wait a bit to see what happens there. It would appear that they're fairly actively trying to prevent access via VPN..

oodles19 wrote: »
    To be honest, the free version of Peacock seems to be detecting that I'm using a VPN (Cyberghost) on both my Firestick and phone, so I'll probably wait a bit to see what happens there. It would appear that they're fairly actively trying to prevent access via VPN..
    Yep Peacock seems to be largely VPN resistant but its been working perfectly for me with Getflix DNS

• Registered Users Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yep Peacock seems to be largely VPN resistant but its been working perfectly for me with Getflix DNS
    ...and for me with KeepSolid SmartDNS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭dougm1970

bad bast*rds have taken away ability to have a 3rd party launcher :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

dougm1970 wrote: »
    Explain please? I dont see an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭One More Toy

muffler wrote: »

I assume they mean a different launcher to what and how amazon offers apps on the home page

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is there a video player like VLC or Media Player Classic that I could set up so that it behaves exactly like the "Send to Firestick" option in Youtube? As in I could be watching a file on my laptop but then just hit a button and have it pause on the pc then appear on my tv screen and let me go back to browsing on the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bobby4hill

dougm1970 wrote: »

There's a fix for it on youtube but Boards won't let me link it.

Just search "AMAZON UPDATE BROKE CUSTOM LAUNCHER (FIX INSIDE)"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭dougm1970

well...i installed leanback launcher...no adverts or banners.....cleaner than stock launcher...faster too.
    but the latest update prevents a 3rd party launcher as default, so home button goes back to stock amazon launcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭raclle

Yup same thing here

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

bobby4hill wrote: »
    There's a fix for it on youtube but Boards won't let me link it.

Just search "AMAZON UPDATE BROKE CUSTOM LAUNCHER (FIX INSIDE)"

That doesn't work anymore - latest fireos update prevents accessibility manager from working. Best place to track when fix ever is available is at https://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/general

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Spotted this fire stick alternative on AliExpress. Comes with a few apps built in it seems including chromecast

Thanks Muffler, seems like a nice find.

Does it allow you to cast the same as Chromecast do you know?
    It says on description "Chromecast build (sic) in"

I would have thought Chromecast is proprietary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Thanks Muffler, seems like a nice find.

Does it allow you to cast the same as Chromecast do you know?
    It says on description "Chromecast build (sic) in"

I would have thought Chromecast is proprietary

I have one, its an Android TV device (just like a Nvidia Shield) and the Chromecast feature works the same as a standard cast. They are a nice device, it's not 4K but does play 1080P @ 60hz so it's smooth and bandwidth friendly (and isn't full of Amazon advertisements). There is also a 4K version coming soon but Google are about to announce the Sabrina dongle which IS 4K and will replace Chromecasts for approx €50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

advertsfox wrote: »
    I have one, its an Android TV device (just like a Nvidia Shield) and the Chromecast feature works the same as a standard cast. They are a nice device, it's not 4K but does play 1080P @ 60hz so it's smooth and bandwidth friendly (and isn't full of Amazon advertisements). There is also a 4K version coming soon but Google are about to announce the Sabrina dongle which IS 4K and will replace Chromecasts for approx €50.

Excellent response, thanks for the explanation. I will buy one of these Mi devices so. I have an android H96+ pro under the tv at the moment, it allows me to put in a usb stick and record from iptv xtreme. I would lose this functionality yeah? No usb on that Mi stick

Advertisement