Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Firestick general discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

is there anyway to setup a Firestick without having to give Amazon nearly every detail about yourself :mad:

What do you want to put on it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

blue movies :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Sausalito00

Just checked there, not working on phone or laptop. Both saying VPN connected.

Is expressvpn a DNS based VPN? Happy to switch they have 30 money back.

I think I'll stick with the UK Amazon account if possible. I won't be the only user, want to keep it simple for others.

Thanks for your help!

Hi. What server are you connected to with your VPN?

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

Hey,

Struggling with this set up.

Bought a Firestick Lite. Happy with the in bult app set up on the TV, have good IPTV on it, only want the firestick for iPlayer, ITV and Channel 4.

Got Express VPN. Set to UK.
    Tried it with my own Amazon account with an alternative location. no dice.

Reset the device, set up a new UK Amazon with UK location.

Still not able to run the UK shows on the various players. EVPN showing Connected in UK.

Is there a step by step guide available or any help anywhere?

Thanks everyone.
    Prime (UK Prime account set to UK content) does not require VPN
    ExpressVPN (as a VPN) is completely unreliable for BBC. It seems to be ok lately, but was broken for months. But they also provide a DNS service (not VPN) which does seem to be reliable. To set it up, do these steps:
    • Register your public IP address here (login required)
    • Disable VPN on your Firestick
    • Configure the Firestick DNS using the addresses here (login required)
    There are other DNS services which are cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

FWIW I use this service - they have both DNS and VPN based options and I've found them rock solid for the iPlayer at least (I don't use the ITV player or C5 but they've worked too anytime I've tested, as has NBC for the Premier League. US Netflix can be hit and miss).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Thanks for the help.

Did a chat with expressvpn, couldn't get it going so got the refund.

Chatted with smart DNS too. I need to deactivate my IPv6 on my router. I had hoped to avoid this, our internet works well and with WFH its critical. I don't like messing with it.

We have virgin technicolor TC7200 router. Is it simple enough to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Not a question of what I want to put on it, but more a question about why I have to give so to operate it

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Trevord

Not a question of what I want to put on it, but more a question about why I have to give so to operate it

The are likely selling these devices at cost (perhaps less than cost when they are on promotion).

They want you to become a customer of the services they offer.

It's an Amazon device to enhance your Amazon experience .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I set up a new amazon account US (sep email address) so with a VPN i have it setup with an address in Washington and can access a lot more free stuff via pluto and imdb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

good tip

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Have a loan of one of these, well impressed so far

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Have a loan of one of these, well impressed so far

€24 in Argos at the moment .

hasnt missed a beat all morning, solid out, was given an android box as well, but this little stick is impressing me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Prices have gone back up to normal.

Lite is 36
    Non 4K 48

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭bladespin

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Prices have gone back up to normal.

Lite is 36
    Non 4K 48

For the BF discounts to kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭boardtc

Has anyone issue with the IFI App?

I sideloaded v1.1 onto my 4k firestick. When I click on the IFI app it shows a black screen initially and then returns to the app list with the IFI app still highlighted. I uninstalled and re-downloaded with the same result.

I have TG4 and the RTE Player sideloaded just fine.

is there any decent guides out there for setting up these yokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭bladespin

Troypoint on youtube has some great guides, links etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Jaysus I've spent ages screwing around with APK's to get the RTE Player working and no luck. Any recommendations on how best to stream TV, like Saorview or whatever, via the Fire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Trevord

Jaysus I've spent ages screwing around with APK's to get the RTE Player working and no luck. Any recommendations on how best to stream TV, like Saorview or whatever, via the Fire?

1. download DOWNLOADER from the Amazon Store
    2. Watch Tanya's video on Youtube to see how to access her store (search for Tanya Firestick)
    3. Download the RTE apk from her store and install it

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

I have the rteplayer as per above but I got ibox on for 3 euro a month for all the regular channels (RTEs,Virgins,BBC1-2,ITV, Channel 4}

It includes 7 day lookback.

boardz wrote: »
    I have the rteplayer as per above but I got ibox on for 3 euro a month for all the regular channels (RTEs,Virgins,BBC1-2,ITV, Channel 4}

Yeah, I stumbled across them today. You find it works reliably?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

Yeah, I stumbled across them today. You find it works reliably?

It's a bit quirky you have to go back to the homepage sometimes between programs but you can ff through the adds and defo worth the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

boardz wrote: »

What’s ibox?
    Edit just googled it, sounds handy enough, its just all the FTA satellite channels bundled together and put on the stick

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    What’s ibox?
    Edit just googled it, sounds handy enough, its just all the FTA satellite channels bundled together and put on the stick

Started using it, it's fairly clunky. Sometimes I get a random error even though connection is poor. It's guide show's *All* channels, not just the ones I have access to. Wish there was a decent TV viewer for RTE at least and optionally bBC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Started using it, it's fairly clunky. Sometimes I get a random error even though connection is poor. It's guide show's *All* channels, not just the ones I have access to. Wish there was a decent TV viewer for RTE at least and optionally bBC

Ye not use IPTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭batistuta9

boardtc wrote: »
    Has anyone issue with the IFI App?

I sideloaded v1.1 onto my 4k firestick. When I click on the IFI app it shows a black screen initially and then returns to the app list with the IFI app still highlighted. I uninstalled and re-downloaded with the same result.

I have TG4 and the RTE Player sideloaded just fine.
    There's a IFI app on the Amazon store, try that instead of sideloading it

What tg4 app did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

See OP post

• Advertisement

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Ye not use IPTV?

No :-D No experience with IPTV, any recommendations?

Advertisement