Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to set up EPG on TVHeadend

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thanks for this thread - just moved to Kodi from MP and had major headaches getting the EPG to fill - now sorted - spent hours trying all kinds of different options

Still have some channels with nothing (or rather just now/next) including quite a few +1 channels - any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

How come your HDHR Quad was working with a good picture but the dual doesn't? What has changed in your set up other than the device?

The only change is the device and I have concluded it is faulty.
    Heck I cannot even get a good stream directly from it using VLC!
    I got the Pi Tv Hat and never got any decent picture out of it. Now I think the issue might have been interference from nearby devices. I noticed that when I had two Pis side by side sitting behind my TV that the continuity error count in TVH server was higher compared with when I moved one of the Pis underneath the TV. Is your HDHR dual model sitting too close to something emitting a whole bunch of electromagnetic radiation?

Nope, initially it was in exactly the same position as the quad, and during tests I even hung it in free air well clear of all other devices.
    Seemingly there are various SBCs that have PCIe support or can be adapted.

The RockPro64 has a PCIe slot on the board.

The ?cheaper Rock Pi 4B has an M.2 slot to which a PCIe adapter can be attached.

Thanks for the links ..... will have a browse to see if anything suits my needs.
    I recently discovered the "Explaining Computers" channel on Youtube. That guy is really cool. Kinda like BBC TV presenter from the 70s cool!

Flex

Yes, rather droll presentations :)
    He is fairly good in content ..... have viewed his stuff irregularly over some time.

Thanks again.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Thanks for this thread - just moved to Kodi from MP and had major headaches getting the EPG to fill - now sorted - spent hours trying all kinds of different options

Still have some channels with nothing (or rather just now/next) including quite a few +1 channels - any ideas?

You need to provide some information about your set up in TVH ........ such as muxes enabled to get EPG and what EPG grabbers are enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Looking at doing this myself, how did you get on after? Can I ask what image you used?

I third OpenATV 6.4 with no joy can pick up the tuners etc but everything keeps crashing.

Hello,

I installed minisatip onto an Amiko Alien2. The Alien2 functions as a Sat>IP device streaming its triple tuners to Tvheadend running on a Pi. And from there to a TVH client in Kodi on the same Pi running osmc.

I'm having trouble getting an epg working. There seems to be lots of approaches but documentation is sporadic and confusing.

In my TVH I have enabled the Over the air - EIT: DVB Grabber and I think this is what is giving me the epg for Saorview although it is 3 days only. I am trying to get the XMLTV Grabber to work using this guide but I don't think I have installed the xmltv package correctly on my pi running osmc. There is no xmltv folder in /home/osmc/.hts/tvheadend unless I am meant to make that myself?

Has anyone got an epg working, preferably 7 days, on an Irish centered use case with Saorview channels and free to air satellite channels? With a PKT hyperion image on the Alien2 I can use crossepg and get 7 days terrestrial and satellite and it was alot less hassle!

Any help much appreciated.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Looking at doing this myself, how did you get on after? Can I ask what image you used?

I third OpenATV 6.4 with no joy can pick up the tuners etc but everything keeps crashing.

I haven't spent any time on this since last May! I got pretty obsessed with it for a month or two but never really got a satisfactory crystal clear stable TV picture from it.. was always getting a little or a lot of picture breakup. That said I think the setup Johnboy has gives a very stable picture.

A lot of what I did is in this thread so good to have a read through it. Basically I put OpenATV 6.3 on an Amiko Alien 2 then telnet in to the box and install minisatip like this:
    # opkg update
    # opkg install minisatip

OpenATV is an enigma2 image that runs on top of a small Linux OS. For best performance I would stop the enigma2 application like this:
    -- To stop
    # init 4
    -- To restart enigma2
    # init 3

-- To start minisatip run this command from the telnet command prompt
    minisatip --satip-xml http://127.0.0.1:8554 -R /usr/share/minisatip/html

-- There is a minisatip Web Interface from a browser on a computer on the same network as your engima2 box (Alien2/ZGemma whichever you have)
    http://ip-of-your-enigma2-box:8080/

All minisatip does is convert the signal from your satellite dish into an ip stream that can be fed for instance into TVHeadend which is a server that can distribute the ip signal to clients such as Kodi players attached to other TV screens or computers.

So next thing I did was to install TVHeadend on a Raspberry Pi running OSMC which is a Kodi installation that can run on a Pi. Go to OSMC AppStore and install TvHeadend from there.

There are lots of guides. I followed this guide and this very good guide to set up TVHeadend.

TVHeadend has it's own web interface and you can stream the channels from that interface from any web enabled device. Alternatively you can feed TVHeadend into a plugin on your Kodi device which gives more flexibility in distributing the channels to other TVs/screens in the house. Add-ons > My add-ons > PVR clients > Tvheadend HTSP Client.

In the end I wasn't happy with the performance I was getting. So many factors determine that... like the signal quality from your dish and the hardware you run minisatip on, the bandwidth of your home network and the specs of your kodi devices.. too many moving parts.

A better solution might be to go hardware satip with a Digibit R1 although there's probably a newer device out now.

I can try answer any questions you have but hopefully JohnBoy won't mind me saying that he is the Guru of Satip.

Flex

• Advertisement

hopefully JohnBoy won't mind me saying that he is the Guru of Satip

Yes of course I mind ...... I just bumble around in the dark until I see a little light! ;)

:D

Advertisement