Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Boards.ie Explainer: FTTH and You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

The thing with FTTH is it either works or it doesn't really so it's not like the engineer can redo connections to improve the speed. There obviously is an issue somewhere be it the router or at the exchange perhaps. Unfortunately you are going to have to contact eir. Explain all the different testing you have done so they can't fob you off.

1901 should be free to call from an eir line so you should not be wasting money ringing them. Best of luck and let us know if you get it resolved.

best thing on these customer support places where they leave you on hold for ages is to put the speakerphone on and put the phone on your desk, just carry on with what you have to do just keeping a listen out every now and again to see if someone finally answers . - i've known people hold the phone up to their ear for ages waiting for someone to answer and endure terrible telephone music - drives you insane and eventually give up (this most probably a technique used by them in some warped way as in make customers wait on the phone for ages in the hope they will eventually hang up!) and it works a lot of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭littlecopilot

Apologies. I didn't try the 5ghz on my note. I got 217Mbps from the 5Ghz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭onrail

If a premises is shown as 'available', is there likely to be any additional fees to connect? e.g. if a certain distance from the line.

I ask because we've been shown as 'available' according to eircode, but we're down a lane, approximately 250m from the main road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

There you go, can you check the cable again and make sure they are at least cat5e(not cat5!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

That's roughly what I have seen from a 300Mb connection using an iPhone 8 on 5GHz on the F2000. It probably means the connection is working as intended so the issue is cabled connections from the router. That could be an issue with your setup or the router.

• Advertisement

is even 217mbps good though on a 300mbps package ... mind you we are talking on a wireless connection so that could be a factor.

Interested to see final figure when wired (properly)

onrail wrote: »
    If a premises is shown as 'available', is there likely to be any additional fees to connect? e.g. if a certain distance from the line.

I ask because we've been shown as 'available' according to eircode, but we're down a lane, approximately 250m from the main road.

No. It should be covered under the standard installation. Most providers are charging an installation fee although some are not.

is even 217mbps good though on a 300mbps package ... mind you we are talking on a wireless connection so that could be a factor.

I think it may be the max the router can do over WiFi. I'm not sure I've seen a higher test for the F2000.

You should expect at least 280 over ethernet on the 300 package.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

SmartByte

There, it only took 30 mins to track down what that was. I knew I talked about it recently but couldnt find where.

Dell isntalls SmartByte through updates. It fvvvvvvcks your speed on faster connections. Find it, uninstall it, reboot.

• Advertisement

Will get some new cables. Strange I loose half the speed with the 2.4Ghz up again the router (from 217 down to 100). I've had 3Mbps for years so it's still heaven from me :D

You thing getting cat7 for the 150 feet to my office will be better than what I have now? Think Cat5 now. It's down to 30Mbps in office

Lads. Really appreciate all the help. I don't feel as bad now with it and thanks ED. I will find that piece of sh1t software :D

Will get some new cables. Strange I loose half the speed with the 2.4Ghz up again the router (from 217 down to 100). I've had 3Mbps for years so it's still heaven from me :D

You thing getting cat7 for the 150 feet to my office will be better than what I have now? Think Cat5 now. It's down to 30Mbps in office

Just get Cat5e or Cat6. The higher cable specs are shielded and intended for industrial environments. There is no need for them in a standard domestic setting.

Yes of course, smartbyte was mentioned by someone recently wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

tuxy wrote: »

Exactly. If littlecopilot reports a big change we'll need to put out a big health warning.

It was in this thread but it seemed to completely cripple that connection which is why I discounted it here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108668272

https://imgur.com/a/vDK1IST

Does that cable look like the old cat5 that came with the Eircom ADSL modems?
    I can't read enough of the writing to see it it says cat5 or cat5e.
    It doesn't look new anyway. Although I guess it must be if he's getting 200 Mbit over wifi.
    I'd be interested in seeing the writing on the cable that does to the laptop.

.... I've had 3Mbps for years so it's still heaven from me :D ....

Gord yeah what a difference it must feel like. I think with a lot of people even people who were on say a broadband 30mbps ADSL suddenly increased up to speeds of 150mbps and above.

after a while people will get used to it of course - i remember when I first moved to Ireland years ago I was aghast at all the lovely scenery , the mountains and the lakes for quite a long time - now when I am out and about these days I dont normally give a second look now because I am used to it LOL

https://imgur.com/a/vDK1IST

Does that cable look like the old cat5 that came with the Eircom ADSL modems?
    I can't read enough of the writing to see it it says cat5 or cat5e.
    It doesn't look new anyway. Although I guess it must be if he's getting 200 Mbit over wifi.
    I'd be interested in seeing the writing on the cable that does to the laptop.

That grey cable with the yellow connectors is the standard Cat5e that comes with the eir installation. It's the cable he's using from the router to the LAN machines that I'd suspect.

www .speedtest. net/result/7842448792

286.76Mbps down and 46.78 up. Direct to router with new cat6 cable and uninstalled smartbyte. Thanks guys :D

• Advertisement

Perfect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

They Smartbyte has been known to install itself again through Dell updates

if a person were to go down the route of hard wired which out of these 2 would be the best way to work it top one or bottom one? - or would either suffice and not make a difference?

467225.jpg

take eternet from ONT - run it with cat 6 along ceiling to another room and then plug in Wan socket of router and then plug computer into LAN 1 socket

or

Take ethernet from ONT put in WAN socket on router by ONT and then run cat 6 cable from LAN 1 socket and then to PC ?

Won't matter once the cable never goes over 100 metres
    Remember when we talked about you running cable from the bedroom to the hall?

if a person were to go down the route of hard wired which out of these 2 would be the best way to work it top one or bottom one? - or would either suffice and not make a difference?

467225.jpg

take eternet from ONT - run it with cat 6 along ceiling to another room and then plug in Wan socket of router and then plug computer into LAN 1 socket

or

Take ethernet from ONT put in WAN socket on router by ONT and then run cat 6 cable from LAN 1 socket and then to PC ?

Either should work (up to 100 metres Ethernet distance). The second has the advantage of being able to place the router more centrally if required.

Won't matter once the cable never goes over 100 metres
    Remember when we talked about you running cable from the bedroom to the hall?

ah yes thats right thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

467225.jpg

or

Put the router where you can centrally give yourself the best wireless coverage and hardwire to everything static not just your pc, consoles, satellite and Android boxes etc. Buy a box of cable and do it yourself. You have a futureproof connection, why not use this opportunity to futureproof your local network

I'm going to replace the old cat5 from my house to my office (about 50m away) as I'm only getting 30Mbps (out of possible 280Mbps) in office. I've a RT-AC68U router in there and the cat5 is connected to it for wireless devices. It's always worked well with 3Mbps :)

Will the cat6 give similar speeds in office you think as it's under 100m? Thinking of getting this cable

www. amazon.co. uk/gp/product/B00EOTHEL6

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I'm going to replace the old cat5 from my house to my office (about 50m away) as I'm only getting 30Mbps (out of possible 280Mbps) in office. I've a RT-AC68U router in there and the cat5 is connected to it for wireless devices. It's always worked well with 3Mbps :)

Will the cat6 give similar speeds in office you think as it's under 100m? Thinking of getting this cable

www. amazon.co. uk/gp/product/B00EOTHEL6

That'll do the finest and will be good for Gbit/s. Just for 10 Gig it's too long.

/M

• Advertisement

Both cat5e and cat6 will do full gigabit ethernet up to 100 metres. Very little difference in speed between a 1 meter cable and 100.

Advertisement