Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Huawei P20/P20 Pro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

rizzee wrote: »
    Any idea why there is a physical home button on the fron of the P20 & Pro but not the Lite? I think the Lites design is nicer to the eye...

Because it is cheaper and simpler to put a Fingerprint scanner on the back, and the p20 Lite is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Does the front fingerprint scanner also offer swipe gestures?

Horses for courses, but personally I prefer it on the front so I can quickly unlock it on my desk\table without reverting to lifting it or using alternative unlock mechanisms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Available now to order on Vodafone with the free Headphones!!:eek:

The free headphones are for the first 50 Customers, so get you order in Quick:)

Black Version only available.

I have placed my order(only 49 sets of headphones left:cool:), as there is a 14 day cooling off period anyway.
    I don't think they are shipping until April 6th...Is that correct?

In this time I will decide if I really want this phone, Confirm I am getting the headphones or simply return for my money back so I can't lose:o

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/huawei-p20-pro-bill-pay-black

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

biebiebie wrote: »
    Does the front fingerprint scanner also offer swipe gestures?

Horses for courses, but personally I prefer it on the front so I can quickly unlock it on my desk\table without reverting to lifting it or using alternative unlock mechanisms.

The Nextbit Robin has the best IMO, built into power button on right edge - If you hold the phone in your left hand :)

ForestFire wrote: »

I have placed my order
    IMO buy retail, don't be locked into delayed OS updates from VF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Do Huawei do direct sales in Ireland? Uk direct price is £849 for the pro but pre pay on Vodafone is €780.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    The Nextbit Robin has the best IMO, built into power button on right edge - If you hold the phone in your left hand :)
    I used to have the Sony Z5. It had it on the RHS also. Loved that placement too. It could be unlocked whilst lying flat quite easily.
    Anyway we digress... apologies... back to topic! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

€299 on eir with the bose headphones shipping on the 12th April ,
    Was kinda hoping for it to be cheaper considering voda are doing it for €49

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Do Huawei do direct sales in Ireland? Uk direct price is £849 for the pro but pre pay on Vodafone is €780.

https://www.amazon.de/Smartphone-interner-Speicher-Android-Exklusiv-Schwarz/dp/B07BLYYHL1/ref=sr_tr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522247195&sr=8-1&keywords=P20+Pro €899 Presale

Not out until April 6 so you may see a price correction then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Gatling wrote: »
    €299 on eir with the bose headphones shipping on the 12th April ,
    Was kinda hoping for it to be cheaper considering voda are doing it for €49

That 49 is on the 80/month plan tho

Can I ask if pricing where the same on the p20 pro and the s9plus...

What are the features / reasons that have you choosing the p20 pro over an s9plus?

I'm curious as I just can not make up my mind and am intrigued on what is drawing other people to the Huawei...

I worry that once I buy I'll regret and wish I'd gotten the other one.

• Advertisement

Possibly the battery life on the P20 Pro will be superior to the S9+.

The P20 Pro has a bigger capacity battery to start.

Also the S9+ isn't receiving good reports on the battery life (may be fixed in future updates) .

I've also seen some initial comparisons of the camera between them and the iPhone X. The P20 seems to be superior to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

im very tempted by the pro, for me is the camera, i take a lot of pictures and record a lot of videos.
    Have been with samsung for a long time since S5, would be nice to change to a new brand and get something new but at the same time i know and trust samsung for its image quality, always good. So for that reason i fell the best choice is to buy is samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

camera comparison s9 vs p20pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8DeK2oafDU

interesting

Firstly I would say there is a big difference in price. It is 150euro for me on my upgrade with vodafone.

But despite being cheaper the main draws for me are-

Better battery :D
    More interesting camera:D
    AI features :)
    128gb vs 64g:D
    IR blaster:)
    FM radio:o
    FREE BOSE NOISE CANCEL BT HEADPHONES:eek:

Oh also it something different, I always had HTC before my current s7, so time to try something new again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭brevity

VERY tempted by this deal.

The headphones are 370€

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Anywhere to get this phone with the headphones and sim free?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

s_carnage wrote:
    Anywhere to get this phone with the headphones and sim free?

You can if you were able to get them from the carphone Warehouse in the UK. There is also another few resellers there that have the same offer. Quick Google search will provide you with the other stores.

ldr wrote: »
    camera comparison s9 vs p20pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8DeK2oafDU

interesting
    Is it me or did the majority of s9 pics look sharper detailwise but the color on the p20 shots looked more natural?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I wonder when we will know if we have qualified for the headphones for VF. If says it's limited to the first 50 only, however when you order, if gives no indication of what order # you are (inside or outside the top 50...

• Advertisement

I wonder when we will know if we have qualified for the headphones for VF. If says it's limited to the first 50 only, however when you order, if gives no indication of what order # you are (inside or outside the top 50...

I have just had this conversation on VF chat, and similar issue with s7 upgrade and free gift 2 years ago.

The first thing is say is the agents really don't have the info, and this leads them to start fobbing you off.

The first answer I got was, if your eligable you receive a txt or mail.

When I questioned this I was told

There was high volume traffic and maybe you did not make the first 50. And a link to their terms and conditions

They could not give me my order number and when I told them I order within the first 5mins as I was waiting for release they changed their tune slightly.

Now the officially answer is that they will send the email when pre-order complete and then send the texts emails to first 50.

I'll keep an eye on this and start questioning the VF reps here if no updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

ForestFire wrote: »
    I have just had this conversation on VF chat, and similar issue with s7 upgrade and free gift 2 years ago.

The first thing is say is the agents really don't have the info, and this leads them to start fobbing you off.

The first answer I got was, if your eligable you receive a txt or mail.

When I questioned this I was told

There was high volume traffic and maybe you did not make the first 50. And a link to their terms and conditions

They could not give me my order number and when I told them I order within the first 5mins as I was waiting for release they changed their tune slightly.

Now the officially answer is that they will send the email when pre-order complete and then send the texts emails to first 50.

I'll keep an eye on this and start questioning the VF reps here if no updates.

Seems like a pretty crappy system. The minute the first 50 pre-orders are done, they should remove the first 50 thing from their site. Pretty bad. Anything to make money though

Seems like a pretty crappy system. The minute the first 50 pre-orders are done, they should remove the first 50 thing from their site. Pretty bad. Anything to make money though

There is a change that they simply have not reached the 50 units yet, but there communication is very poor with this, and I am sure they will try to get some extra sales how.

Here's how the last saga with the S7 release went, It was sorted in the end but it was a very cumberson process (And they did not have the number limitation of 50 that time)

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057567191/2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I also asked VF this morning to see if their quota of 50 customers had been reached. They couldn't answer my question. Pre ordered anyway,so have the cooling off period to take advantage of, if no headphones arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I also asked VF this morning to see if their quota of 50 customers had been reached. They couldn't answer my question. Pre ordered anyway,so have the cooling off period to take advantage of, if no headphones arrive.

It's pretty shifty customer service to handle it in such a manner. Gives the impression of a big bait and switch exercise even if it's totally legit..... Their marketing team should have more sense and control...

Is it not the black one are avail here so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Is it not the black one are avail here so far?

The P9 and 10s were mostly only available in black here ,the P10 was terrible for finger prints all over it ,i personally would have loved the pantone green version .

Pre-ordered with eir black is the only option with them

But to get back to your earlier question I'm mainly interested in the new camera setup and storage ,
    Got really big into actually taking proper quality pictures with my P9 over the last near 2 years my OH has a P10 but it didn't seem a substantial upgrade to the P9 to buy ,
    I've been waiting for the P20 after hearing the 3 camera (4 if you include the front) rumours last year

I'm sure I heard somewhere that carphone warehouse were getting the midnight blue. It's the one I'd prefer, but can't take a chance to wait if they will also have free headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

It's pretty shifty customer service to handle it in such a manner. Gives the impression of a big bait and switch exercise even if it's totally legit..... Their marketing team should have more sense and control...

Luckily I'm with VF on a sim only plan so opted for a PAYG phone. Luckily no switching or porting involved for me. I agree that the offer should be removed when quota is reached and not all this mystery.
    It'll be interesting to keep an eye on the site to see if they remove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Just ordered twilight version sim free from amazon.de

Advertisement