Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The ethernet adopter works well for the Mi Box.it was linked here a while back about 10 pound on amazon.
    It's a strange move by manufacturers to leave out a ethernet port, it's hardly going to add much cost to produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The big draw for me with this box is the ability to use it as a Plex media server. I don't think the Mi box has that capability (or has it?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

yabadabado wrote: »
    The ethernet adopter works well for the Mi Box.it was linked here a while back about 10 pound on amazon.
    It's a strange move by manufacturers to leave out a ethernet port, it's hardly going to add much cost to produce.

Not always, there's lots of issues and bugs with usb Ethernet and the mi, Google it. My brother and mother bought 3 mi box and adapters at once, one box never worked right with the usb Ethernet adapter, the adapter worked fine on other mi boxes. My brother then ended up returning his mi over internal SD issues and ended up buying a shield. I guess it's what you get when you buy Chinese. I myself have a shield from day one and am very happy with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

The mi box lacks Ethernet which IMO is essential for a media streaming box

Wireless ac is more than adequate for 4k streaming. Maybe you need a better router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

doylefe wrote: »
    Wireless ac is more than adequate for 4k streaming. Maybe you need a better router.

If you have only one device and nobody else in the house trying to share your connection.

Wireless speeds are completely optimistic, tested in a controlled environment in a lab with no other devices connected and only in one direction. Wireless is half duplex, your ac router will only talk to one device at a time in one direction at a time not both at the same time like a cable.

I'm a firm believer that everything static should be cabled leaving wireless for mobility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭xtal191

I'm in no way saying the Mi Box is better than the Shield, it obviously isn't. But it costs a little under €70 delivered while the Shield is roughly €215.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

xtal191 wrote: »
    I'm in no way saying the Mi Box is better than the Shield, it obviously isn't. But it costs a little under €70 delivered while the Shield is roughly €215.

Can we save the "but you can get a cheaper box "for the Android box thread.It's long established that the Shield is the best Android box on the market.This is a tips & tricks thread,specifically for the Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

xtal191 wrote: »

Is this the latest Mi Box? I've an old Minix Neo X8-H which is stuck on Android 4 so I can't run latest Kodi etc. I don't need Shield type performance for this box but it would be nice to have something which also ran Android TV for consistent menus and user experience.

Is this the latest Mi Box? I've an old Minix Neo X8-H which is stuck on Android 4 so I can't run latest Kodi etc. I don't need Shield type performance for this box but it would be nice to have something which also ran Android TV for consistent menus and user experience.

Yeah looks like it, a lot of people from here used this ebay link and parcel motel or parcel wizard to get it delivered.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Xiaomi-Mi-Box-4K-Google-Android6-0-TV-BOX-HDR-International-Version-Voice-Remote-/122355472779?hash=item1c7cf4598b:g:PS4AAOSw241YhXlS
    bazzz wrote: »
    Can we save the "but you can get a cheaper box "for the Android box thread.It's long established that the Shield is the best Android box on the market.This is a tips & tricks thread,specifically for the Shield.

I'm not recommending it over the Shield, also most of those cheapy android boxes don't have Android TV. Anyway thats enough going off topic.

Not always, there's lots of issues and bugs with usb Ethernet and the mi, Google it. My brother and mother bought 3 mi box and adapters at once, one box never worked right with the usb Ethernet adapter, the adapter worked fine on other mi boxes. My brother then ended up returning his mi over internal SD issues and ended up buying a shield. I guess it's what you get when you buy Chinese. I myself have a shield from day one and am very happy with it.
    I'm using a Mi box in a bedroom and have had no issues with the adopter. Now it's not used near as often as the Shield but no complaints so far.

The Shield is by far the best option and I'd advise anyone to get one even if they don't game.

• Advertisement

What do you people on here find better StbEmu or Perfect Player?

I prefer STB Emu. Don't think there is a huge difference in them tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm in the minority with IPTV in that use Kodi as my hub for it.
    Simple IPTV for external providers and I share my E2 tuners to my shields using the Vu+ tuner plug in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

Guys, anyone having any issues with the remote ? The box is superb but when I wake it, the remote is unresponsive for about 20secs. Once this time passes, it's fine again. Although the game controller (used in place of the slick remote) never suffers such lag. Was gonna swap out the 2032 batteries just to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

dodzy wrote: »
    Guys, anyone having any issues with the remote ? The box is superb but when I wake it, the remote is unresponsive for about 20secs. Once this time passes, it's fine again. Although the game controller (used in place of the slick remote) never suffers such lag. Was gonna swap out the 2032 batteries just to see.

An idea might be to prevent it going to sleep.
    I noticed that too but the main reason for preventing it from sleeping is that it seemed to drop its connection with the Plex server set up especially the remote side of the access.
    There is an option under developer options to prevent it going to sleep.
    To get developer options go to "About" the "build number" and click on this 7 times it will then notify you that you have developer options.
    Then go back to settings page and click on developer options and there are various functions which have now been unlocked,one of them being a sleep function.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I found it could be slow sometimes, but fresh batteries seemed to sort it. Batteries lasted about 6/7 months.

I found it could be slow sometimes, but fresh batteries seemed to sort it. Batteries lasted about 6/7 months.

The batteries in mine seem to last no length. Probably not using the best quality but I didn't think it would be that hard on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Batteries from euro shops and dealz are rubbish I’ve noticed

Absolutely! You end up spending more on replacing these batteries rather than splashing out on good brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I got mine last March and I'm only starting to get the battery warnings on mine now, I bought decent replacements (think they cost me in and.around 6 euro) which I havein the press for when they finally give up the ghost.

Duracell the best battery to buy?
    Where's the best value?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

yabadabado wrote: »
    Duracell the best battery to buy?
    Where's the best value?

Maplin own brand from Blanchardstown are looking for €8.80 for 2 x 2032s (Maplins branded) but I just ordered 6 x Energisers from Farnell for €7.20 ex VAT with free delivery. They should do the job just fine. Delivery 2-3 days.

I'm off to collect my shield from parcel motel. Very excited

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

chewed wrote: »

Mad jealous! I really need to get one when funds allow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Where did u buy from

Where did u buy from

I bought from amazon UK. I didn't really look around so not sure if I could have got it cheaper

Loving it so far. Plex working perfectly which is great. Does anyone know if you can get All4 app? Couldn't see it on Google play

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Loving it so far. Plex working perfectly which is great. Does anyone know if you can get All4 app? Couldn't see it on Google play

Side loading it maybe? Had to do that for a few apps that werent available for the Android TV platform...

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Side loading it maybe? Had to do that for a few apps that werent available for the Android TV platform...

I tried that but it wouldn't launch.

I'm now going to start from the 1st post in this great thread to get as much info as I can, in case I start asking more useless questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

I'm now going to start from the 1st post in this great thread to get as much info as I can, in case I start asking more useless questions!

There are several tutorial videos on youtube on how to set-up the Shield to unleash the full potential (both through licit and less licit means). I watched one that was 90minutes long (i think it was posted in this forum or in the Bargain Alerts Shield forum) where the guys goes through the full process from unboxing to side loading, from basic apps to sketchier stuff, from game emulators to STB emulators... some of it was less relevant for me but a general intro on how to do stuff and find stuff that's not necessarily advertised on the NVIDIA website

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Did you try the Fire TV All4 APK?

Advertisement