Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

wtf? my device isn't compatible with this version?

It's a HTC One M8

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭28064212

gar wrote: »
    Phone rooted :-(
    Not even rooted, just unlocked bootloader, and I can't use it :(

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

long_b wrote: »
    The contactless > 30 euro transactions would be a big plus
    Depending on acquirers, the limit for > than €30 transactions is up to 1 million euro. All depneding if you have the funds of course ;)

gar wrote: »
    Phone rooted :-(

oh is that my problem...

why should that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

To bad it's AIB/KBC only but giving how backward some of our banks are that is not surprising.

For customers of other banks, there is always LeuPay/Boon./SEQR which work perfectly fine with the same terminals in Ireland, unfortunately some of them are not as convenient and also lack the option of "inapp" payment that android is offering.

Come on PTSB/ULSTER, join the 21st century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

knox will be triggered and the app won't work. It's to stop people installing chinese roms and having their card info stolen I think is all it boils down to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

What about us brain dead slobs???

I mean, there's no hope for the rooted among us, is there? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

marcbrophy wrote: »
    What about us brain dead slobs???

I mean, there's no hope for the rooted among us, is there? :)

Try SEQR, there are mixed reports that it might work.

Not as good as Androidpay and requires 2 clicks to pay, but a possible alternative.

Can I unroot my phone? To be honest I don't need it very much anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Try SEQR, there are mixed reports that it might work.

Not as good as Androidpay and requires 2 clicks to pay, but a possible alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

kellsred wrote: »
    Do you need to have the app open in order for it to work? Or just touch the phone to the reader?

I had beep n go open to scan loyalty card then I clicked on the pay icon down the bottom so never got to test it screen off and locked.

Would prefer to have to unlock phone myself even for under €30 transactions just for security.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

kayotic18 wrote: »
    ...my PTSB card is not yet supported though :(
    Jelle1880 wrote: »
    The other thread says they have no plans to implement this any time soon.

https://blog.google/topics/shopping-payments/android-pay-ireland/

No idea about restrictions on banks etc. This kind of thing should not take so long to cross the atlantic soon, especially since there's a large google office in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

exactly, how often do people spend <30 euro that they can't be bothered to unlock their phone? The whole draw would be that it's as 'handy' as contactless, without the need for RFID blocking wallets and all that crap so someone doesn't steal 29.99 from you by brushing past on a bus

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Just found out that the coffee shop next door are doing 1c coffee for the week with android pay. Needles to say I popped over to try it out. Worked a treat!

exactly, how often do people spend <30 euro that they can't be bothered to unlock their phone? The whole draw would be that it's as 'handy' as contactless, without the need for RFID blocking wallets and all that crap so someone doesn't steal 29.99 from you by brushing past on a bus

I can barely get the back card to work without wiping it over the machine (even then it won't work sometimes) but the phone didn't even need to touch the machine at all to work, would definitely be easier to scan it when it's in someone's pocket or bag.

unrooted with super su

will see whether that makes a difference

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Just found out that the coffee shop next door are doing 1c coffee for the week with android pay. Needles to say I popped over to try it out. Worked a treat!

Was that a notification of a promotion because you were nearby or did you see it walking by?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Literally just switched from Ulster Bank to KBC in the last 2 weeks, so another bonus now... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Is it a chain ? In other words who ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

So I tried Android pay about two months ago in the UK (I bank with RBS). It was very handy for paying for the bus or tube, but what I noticed was that the debits from my account were irregular. Now this could be to do with the bank and not Android Pay, but just something to be aware of.

• Advertisement

Keith186 wrote: »
    Was that a notification of a promotion because you were nearby or did you see it walking by?

Someone in the office mentioned it. Mocha Beans is the coffee shop but they had a AIB branded sign at the till and put a sticker on the cup with AIB/Android Pay branding so id imagine there will be loads of places doing it. The girl at the till said to spread the word and that they only found out this morning. Promotion is on for the rest of the week I think.

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Evil_g

I hope AIB go hard on the marketing of this to light a fire under Bank of Ireland.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how this has taken off in places where it's been around for a while? What percentage of people pay for their morning coffee using their phone in San Francisco for example?

lawred2 wrote: »
    unrooted with super su

will see whether that makes a difference

pffft still not compatible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Just made my first purchase, sub €30 and worked perfectly.
    Every bit as quick as a contactless card payment.

La_Gordy wrote: »
    So I tried Android pay about two months ago in the UK (I bank with RBS). It was very handy for paying for the bus or tube, but what I noticed was that the debits from my account were irregular. Now this could be to do with the bank and not Android Pay, but just something to be aware of.

I checked my AIB account online and the transaction has come up straight away in my pending transaction list. Seems to work the same way as the bank handles these transaction by normal debit card transactions. I know BoI handled pending transactions a little differently and your balance dosen't actually get debited until it goes past a pending status(Might explain why BoI cant role this out yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭28064212

lawred2 wrote: »
    pffft still not compatible
    If you have an unlocked bootloader, that will trigger it. And to lock it again, you need to wipe your phone :(

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    If you have an unlocked bootloader, that will trigger it. And to lock it again, you need to wipe your phone :(

balls to that...

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

Someone in the office mentioned it. Mocha Beans is the coffee shop but they had a AIB branded sign at the till and put a sticker on the cup with AIB/Android Pay branding so id imagine there will be loads of places doing it. The girl at the till said to spread the word and that they only found out this morning. Promotion is on for the rest of the week I think.

image.jpg

Somewhere on Dawson Street as well:
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057679379/1/#post101894330

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Left some feedback on AIB's Facebook page asking where these coffee shops are. Loads of articles mention them but no specifics. I'll post if they get back to me.

The > €30 limit is great, however I can't imagine many shops having terminals that allow payment in this situation. Up to recently Lidl still had the old €15 limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

TheChizler wrote: »
    Left some feedback on AIB's Facebook page asking where these coffee shops are. Loads of articles mention them but no specifics. I'll post if they get back to me.

The > €30 limit is great, however I can't imagine many shops having terminals that allow payment in this situation. Up to recently Lidl still had the old €15 limit.

its only going to be a sw update.

my local tesco doesnt even offer contactless.

Advertisement