Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures, pictures, pictures!

• 13-12-2006 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

It comes to a stage when you want to show off what you have. Many of us may have our HC setup perfect in respect of a TV mounted on the wall, amp, dvd, decoders in a nice glass shelf or a hidden cupboard and then again many of us may just have it setup that its watchable and listenable.

Whatever way, we don't mind. This is all about showing what you have.
    G'wan, get the camera out and snap and post up your results.

They say curiosity killed the cat, but not in here :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Good idea............ I'll be back shortly...:)

Ritz

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hope this works.............

I have had a dedicated movie room for the past 4 - 5 years, running a projector (originally a Panasonic AE100, now running a Sanyo PLV Z3) and an 80" wide screen. The screen is fixed on a "screenwall" about 30cm from one of the walls of the movie room - this allowed me to hide my "movie" pc, amp, sub and LCR speakers so that when you sit down to watch a movie, all you see is the image, no distractions. The PC runs using a wireless mouse (and keyboard, only used for software updates). I got a lot of help getting my PC issues sorted at the beginning of the journey, and have learnt a good deal over the last couple of years. The PC now plays dvds, upcscaled to match the projector, and recently has been upgraded as a satellite receiver with PVR, including the BBC HD trial.

When I built the screenwall initially, the screen was 16:9 and visits and discussions with Vexorg led to the use of fixed-width variable masking as illustrated in the pictures below.

image001.jpg

This picture shows the screen and equipment without the coverings of the screen wall in place. The top and bottom masks are connected to each other with nylon cords - when the top one moved down, the bottom one moves up, showing a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, as shown in the picture below:

image003.jpg

The advantage of this arrangement is that the image on the screen is surrounded by a black border, whatever the aspect ratio of the movie - it's a simple matter of moving the masks into position at the start of the movie.

The "wall" is covered in black velvet panels, one across the top, a narrow one on each side of the screen, and three across the lower part - these are held in place with "ball and socket" type catches and the lot can be dismantled in a couple of seconds if need be. The whole lot has been remarkable robust, no "unplanned" dis-assembly (!) since I put it in place.

The following pictures show it in action - thes are quite old pictures and are not intended as "screenshots" to show off the projector, just to give an idea of the overall effect:

Spiderman (1.85:1)

image009.jpg

And Lord of the Rings (2.35:1)

image007.jpg

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The Ritz wrote:
    jawdrop.gif

Aidan,

:D:D

A picture is as good as a thousand words............

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

You make fellow mod jealous. :)

That masking works well.

My own however is a work in progress as you will see

245620c65954e5.jpg

245620ca39033b.jpg

245620c64b3592.jpg[img][/img]245620c6423ca5.jpg

2456111b7e078f.jpg

The camera makes it look smallish.

(wait till that garage becomes clear I tell ya :))

• Advertisement

Lookin' good :) Get that garage cleared !!!! Everyone knows that garages are God's way of telling us to have home cinemas.

I have plans for a plasma/LCD install in the sitting room, hoping to get around to it in the New Year. There's something very classy about a wall mounted screen with no wires/trunking showing. What model is the tv ? Where from ?

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Ritz, that set-up is awesome..... I am reeling with jealousy here....

Sparky, that is a real neat set-up. No wires always looks cracking. Also, your socket is crooked... ;o)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Ritz, that is some set up.
    All you needed was a couple of reclining armchairs to finish it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Ritz, that looks sweet. Fair play to you.

Sparky your making good progress there alright, I like the wall mountings but you should really get onto your electrician as mounting a socket in such a crooked angle shouldn't be allowed :p.

All you needed was a couple of reclining armchairs to finish it.

... Mrs. Ritz gave me a present of two black leather Lazeeboys when we got the room finished....... :D very comfy. I'll try to put together some more pictures of the other end of the room over the next day or two.

The room now needs to be freshened up and I'd like to install fabric covered panels on the walls, a dark ceiling and some concealed lighting but work and family committments keep getting in the way - I suppose that's what New Year Resolutions are for...................

Ritz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The Ritz wrote:
    ... Mrs. Ritz gave me a present of two black leather Lazeeboys when we got the room finished....... :D very comfy. I'll try to put together some more pictures of the other end of the room over the next day or two.
    I hate you. :D

What is next, a popcorn machine?

Bah, I only have a cheap ass 14" tv I bought for NZ$140 a few weeks ago. I miss my entertainment gear back home :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Unfortunately my set up is still in my bedroom till I sort myslf out with a house.

The view is from my leather recliner thats under my bed (Argos double bed thats 5' off the ground)

Tv is Sony KDFE50A11
    On the stand I have my ps2, gamecube and Sony Dvp-NS92

On the left I have My amp, Sony STR-DB795
    DVD Recorder, Sony RDR-GX300
    Sony DVD Player I use as an SACD Player DVP-NS705
    Then my Skybox(no sub)
    NTL Digibox and Lidl sat box.

I used to work in a Sony centre, hence all the Sony.

The shelf above the tv is cluttered at the min and has my Sony centre and fronts.

Have my rear r and l as and the 2 rear centresmounted in an arc behind me. and the sub down to the right of my chair.

Hopefully will be getting a house in the next year or so and the 50" will be replaced by the new 70" version as well as a speaker upgrade.

Have to sort a door for the top half of the unit to teh left to stop y clothes showing. :) and have to remount the board with my 3 optics on my wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

First of all ... wall mounted (DIY) plasma (look ma - no wires!) in the living room. I hardly ever use this, I prefer to watch even normal TV in the 'cinema'.
    plasmagb6.jpg

Now the Home Cinema, a custom room off the living room. This is the view in, this shot has the curtains open. The room is a dark purple to reduce the light splash from the PJ. Also there is lighting (red and white) all round the ceiling that 'glows'. This is all the lighting the room has while the PJ is on to get you in that cinema mood.

This is all DIY, dome my myself and a mate about 2 years ago now.

viewinir2.jpg

Seating is an L shaped leather couch. There is a custom high table behind the seating which holds all the equipment.
    seatsxb6.jpg

Ceiling mounted Panasonic AE900, also 4 Monitor audio bronze rears and the AV gear at rear of room.
    pjcf7.jpg

Yamaha RX750 amp, Sky HD and an oldish pioneer DVD.
    kithm6.jpg

Screen is an 8x4 piece of MDF slightly trimmed to make it 16:9 and painted with ice storm 2 (a grey paint!)
    screenpy0.jpg

Screen with lights dimmed
    screendarkdp8.jpg

Million Dollar Baby
    millionza5.jpg

Yes I know the pics are crap, it's a camera phone, and I can't seem to take a picture of the room in all its glowy/dimly lit glory, but you should at least get a general idea from the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

all very impressive.... I'm currently renovating an old house and the attic will be a cinema. I must take "before" pictures.. on the plus side I can take those pics from the bedrooms below at the moment!:eek:

pH,

Very nice set-up, love the look of the plasma.............. I tried a grey screen a couple of years ago but wasn't happy with the result - lots of folk like them though so it really is a matter of personal preference. Sound system is also impressive....... cool !

Ritz.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

ok - so it's not exactly a cinema like the rest of ye have but not-the-less, its what I have wanted for quite a while.

New samsung 37" lcd with a 5.1 surround system (cheap one).
    Connected to a very quiet Media PC which I have networked to my pc upstairs. 5 hard drives in total with all my music (40gb), pics ,films (250 of them) and music videos (300 of them) and shows (csi,lost etc) all on these hard drives.
    Media pc sound is thru the 5.1 system in the room.
    Sky digital coming over next two weeks as analogue is crap.

K

ps - the joystick is my kids :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭The Denouncer

The main issue here was a well known one - create a good all round powerful system, but wife friendly! Did I succeed? Yes, I believe I did. :p

Front View:

FRONT.jpg

This contains 2 DVDs players (Sony 735 and Pioneer 525 attached to plasma components -> VGA)..all the audio is Yamaha, from the YST-NC1 amp for the fronts, to the E-492 for the center and rears. The speakers are all Yamaha, the speaker cable is 168 strand from Lektropacks.
    The Pioneer CD player is actually a Laserdisc player but an excellent separate CD player! Also in there is Yamaha subwoofer (there is a stereo phono switcher sitting on top of it for non-5.1 movies) and center speaker (behind plasma) and a Sharp VCR (I know..). The digi-box beside Pioneer DVD player on floor under unit is Chorus (RGB Scart goes into a component YUV convertor). Other few things in there is a videosender, a 5.1 headphone amp (the 2 DVD players 5.1 phonos go through it on the way to the amp), an Archos AV attachment (all small and barely visible), and of course the great Scrat from Ice Age, lapping up the wine! The screen is a Hitachi 42PMA400E plasma monitor, which has brilliant definition.
    I've had most of this equipment quite a while but a cable upgrade is all I did for the moment - it looks and sounds great!

Front Angle:

FRONTANGLE.jpg

Again, wife friendly. Most important thing - keep all cables under wraps. The plasma can be swivelled to face guests if need be.

Rear Left Speaker

REARLEFT.jpg

A corner shelf, a plank = a grand speaker stand. This required approx 10 metres of cable to the amp.

Rear Right Speaker:

REARRIGHT.jpg

Approx 6 metres of speaker cable. They run along the groove in front of the patio door.

Rear Angle:

REARANGLE.jpg

Again, clean for the missus! Yet effective. There is a Philips universal remote on the table, controls almost everything.

Denouncer,

I've edited your post to make the pictures display, and very nice they are too....... a family-friendly install, cool.

Ritz.

Thanks Ritz, I was going to make them display but didn't want to overload the thread!
    I'm very impressed with your own set-up - I had a projector a few years ago, and will probably get one again in the future if I can build a dedicated space. :) And pH - great job but..an unused plasma! :eek:

Moved center speaker around to the front blocking the slave amp, you can also see the little headphone amp in this brighter photo.

SEAT2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭steosavage

the sitting room

3 more

the bedroom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

Here's my own system

Sony 37" Plasma
    Multi Region Sony QS DVD Player
    Sony DVD-R
    Sony QS 6.1 channel Receiver
    2 Sky decoders

All cables are buried in the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭JDxtra

buzzard wrote:
    Here's my own system

Sony 37" Plasma
    Multi Region Sony QS DVD Player
    Sony DVD-R
    Sony QS 6.1 channel Receiver
    2 Sky decoders

All cables are buried in the wall.

Nice cabling. Where did you get the wall plates?

JDxtra,

For the video signal, bought the face plates from www.cpc.co.uk. These plates carry RF signal, composite and component video. Soldered Mini-COAX RG59 & SAT100 to carry RF, composite & component video from DVD, decoders etc. to TV. Also have HDMI cable behind the wall for future upgrades.

For the audio, I made this plate myself. I purchased a double gang blank face plate and audio connectors from www.radionics.ie and mounted these connectors in the face plate and soldered the speaker cable coming from the speakers located around the room.

The whole lot cost around €60 but it looks neat and tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭JDxtra

buzzard wrote:
    The whole lot cost around €60 but it looks neat and tidy.

Cool, good job.

Does the attached picture show your Sat cables coming in?

Did you buy a single-gang plate and just cut it? It looks like the cables are running direct from your dish/aerial (which I presume will give the best signal as there are no breaks).

The black cable that you see is the SAT cable coming from the disc and then distributes to the plasma screen, kitchen and upstairs.

The face plate was just cut to accomondate the cable or else you can buy bulkhead F connectors and mount them on the face plate ( similar looking to the speaker connector )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Hi Buzzard - nice job - very neat. I'm looking to hide away my AV equipment too. Are you using some sort of remote extender or is the IR signal able to get through the frosted glass??

• Advertisement

digitaldr,

All remotes work fine through the frosted glass, however when I am using the AMP I leave the door open as it generates alot of heat.

Advertisement