Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixel 4a

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Not flying colours 5 stars but gives warts and all: not a "review" from those glossy brochures in the service provider stores.

Once you’re not expecting 800 quids worth of a phone for under 400 then it sounds pretty much perfect. For my needs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 username3

Anybody have any info on when this will be available here?
    I've seen Oct mentioned for other countries but nothing for here..
    Wish I bought it off amazon.com when it was available as they are getting theirs this week... :(

username3 wrote: »
    Anybody have any info on when this will be available here?
    I've seen Oct mentioned for other countries but nothing for here..
    Wish I bought it off amazon.com when it was available as they are getting theirs this week... :(

I think someone said above it won’t be until October, which is a complete joke if true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭914

I think someone said above it won’t be until October, which is a complete joke if true.

Ye especially is the 4a 5g is released then as well. Strange decision.

Although some reports that the pixel 5 will only be in an XL version so maybe google have done this on purpose where they will have 3 variations. Cheaper 4a, then the 4a 5g which will be similair to what a pixel 5 might be and then the bigger offering of a 5 XL.

Still a bit odd all the same

Apparently they’re putting a 3080mAh battery in the pixel 5, which will have a 6.6” 90Hz screen. For a company that’s so bad at optimising battery that’s pitiful.

Got the email last night the the 4a is available for purchase (well, pre-order)

https://store.google.com/product/pixel_4a

Delivery showing as 8-12 October

Ordered mine this morning. Other phones of a similar price just don't come anywhere near camera performance of the Pixel.
    Looking forward to it's arrival.

Basil3 wrote: »

Possibly same shipping date as the 5 and 4a 5g.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,191 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Starting to lose patience with my LG V20's battery at this stage and tempted to order the 4a. I know it doesn't have wireless charging, but that's never been a feature that has interested me on any device. Dropped the LG this morning, fell out of the case, back fell off, as the did battery. Small crack in the screen. Mind you, there are new Xbox models on the way too, not that I'm a huge gamer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,191 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Basil3 wrote: »

Oct 21st-22nd for me. Was gonna go for the official case, but I'll find one on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Payment came out for my Pixel 4A pre-order today. No change in the order status, still says to be delivered between 9-12 October (I ordered September 10th)

PS: Not a fan of the stock cases but wanted a little colour so got this Spigen case off Amazon to arrive this week, you can change the side button colours.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083QQTQ3V/

61hucy4NKLL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Same. Delivery date as before October 6-7th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

wait the pxel 5 is due out also Samsung has brought out new cheap phone to compete with iPhone 12 due out

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/09/27/google-pixel-5-pricing-specs-release-date-images-and-everything-else-we-know/

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Mate, 4 posts sharing the same link isn't needed so please don't spam. Besides, this is a 4A thread. I don't need a 5 or 5s because the 4a suits myself network / needs / price range and form factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Any word on Irish networks stocking the 4a? Be nice if Vodafone did it with the €100 switching discount like they did/do with the 3a.

breeno wrote: »
    Any word on Irish networks stocking the 4a? Be nice if Vodafone did it with the €100 switching discount like they did/do with the 3a.

Was wondering about that. No Vodafone forum on boards any more. If it's not with the networks here I'd imagine it'll mostly fly under the radar as a device in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pinking

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    wait the pxel 5 is due out also Samsung has brought out new cheap phone to compete with iPhone 12 due out

From what I've read, the pixel 5 doesnt make sense at its price point. Might as well get the Pixel 4a when the camera is near enough identical. iPhone 12 supposed to be getting announced soon too

pinking wrote: »
    From what I've read, the pixel 5 doesnt make sense at its price point. Might as well get the Pixel 4a when the camera is near enough identical. iPhone 12 supposed to be getting announced soon too

The 5 has a dual setup so it isn’t near enough identical. The iPhone 12 will be 800 minimum and looks like it’s going to be tiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Not too fussed on a dual setup personally. The main thing I love about Pixel cameras is the quality of point and shoot shots. I don't tend to zoom or need wide angle shots. The 4a 5g with the bigger screen and battery looks a good bet.

I love using the wide angle on my iPhone 11 and wouldn’t get a phone without one now but yeah it is personal preference. It is a pity they didn’t go 3 lens to really make it stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Interesting take on the Android market at the minute by GSM arena while reviewing the Sony Xperia 5ii. (part 6)
    https://m.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_5_ii-review-2173p6.php
    In it, the reviewer claims that Google have all but given up on the Pixel range.
    I somewhat disagree.

I’d say they’re more finding it’s place.

I love using the wide angle on my iPhone 11 and wouldn’t get a phone without one now but yeah it is personal preference. It is a pity they didn’t go 3 lens to really make it stand out.

I'm still on an lg g6 and bought the phone 3 years ago based on the wide angle.

Loved it but not as much now as some pics can look a little distorted around the edging.

I'm holding for the pixel 5 to see whats on offer but of the price is double the 4a I'll most likely opt for the 4a as there won't be a whole lot between them

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭NinetyForNone

My Order has been shipped (DHL Express) from EINDHOVEN - NETHERLANDS, THE....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SarbjitGrewal

Well done! I was expecting this!

Order shipped as well! DHL delivery but tracking hasn't updated yet. I'd expect it to arrive tomorrow (says 1-2 October).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Same for me.

• Advertisement

Pixel 4a 5g is heading to Japan first and after that, who knows.
    Unfortunately, the Google Store’s product page for the Pixel 4A 5G only lists a “join the wait list” option without any concrete US launch date, while the Pixel 4A has been available since August and now ships by mid-October in the US. The Pixel 5 was announced with an October 15th launch date in nine countries (presumably the same nine the Pixel 4A 5G will launch in), but the Google Store now lists the US shipping window as early November.

During Google’s presentation, the company did post an image indicating the Pixel 4A 5G would launch in Japan starting October 15th with eight more countries to follow in November.

It's €490.89 and here's where you can compare the 3 Pixel models. https://store.google.com/magazine/compare_pixel

https://blog.google/products/pixel/new-5g-pixels-more-helpful-features/

Advertisement