Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nest with Electric Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

FWITW, I initially bought one over the phone for €130 and then bought the second one online at the same price. They would not give me the second one for €130 over the phone. Got two different install dates (one on a Friday while the second one the following Monday) so hoping that they install both on the same day for mutual convenience.

Have a feeling that there maybe a snag with them replacing my existing mechanical thermostats though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

fletch wrote: »
    The EI installer wouldn't replace my existing thermostat and left it in place...he just said to leave it on max and let the Nest do all the work...which would have been fine but my thermostat was also connected to a zone valve which allows me to just heat the hot water if the room is up to temperature. It made for a very frustrating situation as I then had no way of just heating the hot water without having to first manually adjust the old thermostat. In the end, I paid another electrician to solve the problem.

How would setting your original stat to max while still connected be a workaround??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

adox wrote: »
    How would setting your original stat to max while still connected be a workaround??
    With the original stat set to min, I could use the Nest and set to the heating to some really hot temperature (like 30 degrees) which would have the effect of turning on the heating (as the Nest would try to heat the house). The old stat would then be set to min which would have the effect of not heating the house, but just heating the water. It was a complete mess and confused Nest's learning algorithms as it would then start to think it needed to turn on hours in advance to raise the temperature a couple of degrees. I complained to EI afterwards but they said that the installer wasn't allowed to do any rewiring.

With the original stat set to min, I could use the Nest and set to the heating to some really hot temperature (like 30 degrees) which would have the effect of turning on the heating (as the Nest would try to heat the house). The old stat would then be set to min which would have the effect of not heating the house, but just heating the water. It was a complete mess and confused Nest's learning algorithms as it would then start to think it needed to turn on hours in advance to raise the temperature a couple of degrees. I complained to EI afterwards but they said that the installer wasn't allowed to do any rewiring.

Cheers. Im kinda in two minds about it now.

Cheers. Im kinda in two minds about it now.
    In your current system, do you have a zone valve to just heat the hot water if you wish? If not, then I would go ahead with the EI install. If you do, I'd still go ahead with the EI install tbh and just pay an electrician to fix the problem after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I may need to cancel my order (made it early last week) as might be going with a different solution. Has anyone else done this and how much of a pain was it; looks like I would need to call EI to do it.

In your current system, do you have a zone valve to just heat the hot water if you wish? If not, then I would go ahead with the EI install. If you do, I'd still go ahead with the EI install tbh and just pay an electrician to fix the problem after.

Thanks. We pull over a handle on the hot water cylinder upstairs in the summer so the rads are "turned off" and the gas only heats the water.

Thanks. We pull over a handle on the hot water cylinder upstairs in the summer so the rads are "turned off" and the gas only heats the water.
    Sounds like a manual zone valve...I'm sure a plumber could swap that out for an automated one handily enough.

Sounds like a manual zone valve...I'm sure a plumber could swap that out for an automated one handily enough.

So do you reckon it would be an issue getting the Nest installed with EI with my current system?(I really am clueless when it comes to heating systems)

So do you reckon it would be an issue getting the Nest installed with EI with my current system?(I really am clueless when it comes to heating systems)
    I'd say it can be done, you just won't be getting the ability to independently control the hot water, you'll still be pulling that lever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I think i may be having an issue for installation, as the thermostat is in the downstairs hallway, and the clock/timer is in the kitchen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    I think i may be having an issue for installation, as the thermostat is in the downstairs hallway, and the clock/timer is in the kitchen.

The HeatLink replaces the timer, the thermostat can go anywhere there's a plug socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

So I'm just ready to go for this and just in e last question. I've a grant boiler out the back and the switch/timer is in my utility room which is cold enough, only a small radiator in the room. Washer and dryer and a bathroom (converted from a boiler house) there too. My boiler heats radiators upstairs and downstairs when oil is on and I've dual heating so my stove can heat the house too if the oil is off. Will I need two nests then? I dont have thermostats on the hall etc like some of ye??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

L1011 wrote: »
    The HeatLink replaces the timer, the thermostat can go anywhere there's a plug socket.

Oh, okay, will it make a difference that my heating and water is on the same timer module?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

So has anyone got 2 of these without being an electric Ireland customer for 260 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Ive got my nest installed last week. Great during last week especially with the cold frosty nights. I'm not too technical minded so a question that some one may be able to answer. The last couple of nights I didnt really want the heating to keep coming on over night. I turned the dial down to 9 degrees but the heating came on automatically to what it was last week. Any way of stopping it coming on like this ??

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm no expert on it but I'd imagine it's learning your heating pattern from last week so did the same this week. You might have to switch the learning function off.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

cronos wrote: »
    So has anyone got 2 of these without being an electric Ireland customer for 260 euro?

People earlier in the thread has, i bought two, separately for 130e each, but i only got an email for one.

So i called them up and they said i can only get one for 130e. The other would cost 270e. Which is pretty expensive.
    I told them to forget it. Cancelled both.

Money has just been refunded. So i might have another go, put a slightly different address down or something maybe.
    Try book the same day for installation or something. See how that works out.

I'm sure if you have two valid order numbers the engineer won't have a problem installing two. if he does can always throw a 50e at him and see if that does anything.

if that doesn't work then get your refund and hope they don't charge you for the call out!

Unless anyone has a better idea???

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭cyborg

Do EI supply it with a stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Is Wi-Fi a must for installation?

I know it works off Internet (especially as I don't have a fixed Thermostat already), but if no WiFi on the day technician turns up can he still install and I can enter WiFi codes or whatever another time??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Is Wi-Fi a must for installation?

I know it works off Internet (especially as I don't have a fixed Thermostat already), but if no WiFi on the day technician turns up can he still install and I can enter WiFi codes or whatever another time??

If that was an issue just set your phone up as a hotspot for the purposes of installation and then just re-do the network settings when you get your wifi installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

Just got my 2 nests installed today. I originally had 2 different install dates as I ordered separately to get them both at €130. I was in contact with the installer before he came and he checked with head office and it was ok to install both today.

So far delighted with them but its gonna take a bit of getting used to to find the right location in the house for them and the right temperatures for us. I was disappointed that they couldn't replace the thermostats we already have on the walls so they're still in place but as a previous poster said they have to be turned up to max for the nest to work. Both nests came with stands and google minis. Installer said the stand isnt meant to be included but they all fit them now as they used to end up going back to alot of jobs with them as ppl had no where to hang the nest on the wall. There is also manual buttons installed where my previous clock was so if for any reason the nest stops working we can use them until its fixed. He also took my MPRN number for both nests so not sure would non electic ireland customers get caught out here.

Hope this info helps ppl...any questions?

cyborg wrote: »
    Do EI supply it with a stand?
    Yes

Ive scheduled my heat to 20° at 8am.. does anyone know if it turns on at 8am and stays on til it reaches 20° or does it come on beforehand to be at that temperature for 8am??

audi02 wrote: »
    Just got my 2 nests installed today. I originally had 2 different install dates as I ordered separately to get them both at €130. I was in contact with the installer before he came and he checked with head office and it was ok to install both today.

So far delighted with them but its gonna take a bit of getting used to to find the right location in the house for them and the right temperatures for us. I was disappointed that they couldn't replace the thermostats we already have on the walls so they're still in place but as a previous poster said they have to be turned up to max for the nest to work. Both nests came with stands and google minis. Installer said the stand isnt meant to be included but they all fit them now as they used to end up going back to alot of jobs with them as ppl had no where to hang the nest on the wall. There is also manual buttons installed where my previous clock was so if for any reason the nest stops working we can use them until its fixed. He also took my MPRN number for both nests so not use would non electic ireland customers get caught out here.

Hope this info helps ppl...any questions?

Thanks for the post - the bit in bold, what does this mean - are you saying non electric ireland customers can't order two?

Dónal wrote: »
    Thanks for the post - the bit in bold, what does this mean - are you saying non electric ireland customers can't order two?

Sorry that should say "not sure"... he only took this number after the install was done and he scanned all the stuff and put it thru on his phone. Dont know would an issue arise here if your MPRN wasnt related to an EI account?!

Has anyone had a succesful instalment that isnt an EI customer??

Sorry that should say "not sure"... he only took this number after the install was done and he scanned all the stuff and put it thru on his phone. Dont know would an issue arise here if your MPRN wasnt related to an EI account?!

I can't see that it would be a problem, when you buy it online it asks if you are a current customer and still allows you to continue if you say no.

Mprn request is so they can claim the credits, doesn't matter who your provider is

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Hamburgler

I’ve had a Nest installed yesterday by EI & I’m a Bord Gais customer, the installer did require my MPRN number, but otherwise all went smoothly, just need to get used to the settings now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Following this thread with interest. Looking at changing energy providers and interested in getting more into IoT sort of gadgets. I currently have a bum-basic home gas central heating setup. Mechanical timer on the wall under the boiler and TRVs on the rads.

What's involved in a Nest install usually? The stat can go anywhere I presume. I don't know if my current CH setup is zoned upstairs/downstairs or if the CH can be separate from the HW. How many Nest controlled valves are part of a standard install?

Advertisement