Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Chuchote wrote: »
    What's blinded stone when it's at home?

A layer of fine grit on top of a rough stone base. It's what used on the Great Western Greenway and a lot of other rural cycle paths.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

A layer of fine grit on top of a rough stone base. It's what used on the Great Western Greenway and a lot of other rural cycle paths.

They've put a fair bit of this on the Grand Canal too from Hazelhatch to Ardclough. After going through a muddy section it feels like being on a regular paved road again. Personally, I think it is ideal for these routes, as it is also a nice surface for walking and running, less environmentally disruptive to lay, and cheaper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,975 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Chuchote wrote: »
    The Deep Sinking visited by Dick Warner

dick warner has left us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭De Bhál

a couple of friends and I will be passing through Mullingar on Saturday (on the canal towpath) and will be looking for somewhere to get lunch close to the canal, preferably somewhere we could sit outside with bikes in view.

anywhere say 5k either side of Mullingar or the town itself.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Gorteen

De Bhál wrote: »
    a couple of friends and I will be passing through Mullingar on Saturday (on the canal towpath) and will be looking for somewhere to get lunch close to the canal, preferably somewhere we could sit outside with bikes in view.

Thanks

Mary Lynch's pub might be the best. On the canal and nice lunch menu. Dublin side of Mullingar

• Advertisement

This from today's Irish Times :
    Towpaths and greenways (via @IrishTimes) http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/towpaths-and-greenways-1.3126815

Looks like work is in progress between Enfield and Longwood. Anyone know what the section west of Longwood is like and where the upgraded Westmeath section actually starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

This from today's Irish Times :
    Towpaths and greenways (via @IrishTimes) http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/towpaths-and-greenways-1.3126815

Looks like work is in progress between Enfield and Longwood. Anyone know what the section west of Longwood is like and where the upgraded Westmeath section actually starts?

everything i've read on it suggests it starts at the county boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

I know it's a fair bit down past Kinnegad from Mullingar but if you make it near Enfield / Moyvalley go to Fury's, without a doubt the badass home pubgrub and delicious pints on the canal

For anyone trying to keep up-to-date on the improvement works on the Royal Canal Greenway, check out https://www.facebook.com/royalcanalgreenway/
    They also have a linked website.
    The best maps are on www.irishtrails.ie/trail/Royal-Canal/28/ and there is a useful distance table on www.royalcanal.ie/royal-canal-greenway/distance-table/

Looks like some works are due to be completed this December with more promised in early 2018. Dublin, Fingal and Kildare are seriously lagging behind Westmeath, Meath and Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

For anyone trying to keep up-to-date on the improvement works on the Royal Canal Greenway, check out https://www.facebook.com/royalcanalgreenway/
    They also have a linked website.
    The best maps are on www.irishtrails.ie/trail/Royal-Canal/28/ and there is a useful distance table on www.royalcanal.ie/royal-canal-greenway/distance-table/

Looks like some works are due to be completed this December with more promised in early 2018. Dublin, Fingal and Kildare are seriously lagging behind Westmeath, Meath and Longford.

New section opened in Kilcock nice to see
    http://kfmradio.com/news/20122017-1617/new-section-royal-canal-greenway-kildare-opens-today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

blueballfc wrote: »

It's a pity that the picture is of about the least inspiring bit of canal in the area...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Are they finished at Maynooth? Or will they continue on towards Leixlip and the deep sinking?

tnegun wrote: »
    Are they finished at Maynooth? Or will they continue on towards Leixlip and the deep sinking?

From the Royal Canal Greenway website in November:

Castleknock to FCC/KCC (Dublin/Kildare) Border – feasibility done, Fingal County Council are about to complete the tendering process for a design engineer for the deep sinking portion which is likely to be costly and there are some concerns for the environmental impacts of heavy construction in this area – indications are that it may be a further 2 years before this section is complete.

Dublin/Kildare Border to Maynooth – feasibility done – next stage preliminary design – no further update available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

For completeness could people fill in the gaps below.

https://i0.wp.com/royalcanal.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/full-royal.png

From Tarmonbarry to Clondra - I didn't think there was a section to walk/cycle along the canal - does anyone know if there is?
    The next village after Tarmonbarry is Clondra.
    From Clondra and from Longford where they meet at the 'V' - this section is complete.
    From that V point to Ballymahon is in progress - should be complete in the next few weeks afaik.
    From Ballymahon to Mullingar is complete.

After Mullingar what sections are complete?

This is the full November status report from the Royal Canal Greenway site:

Dublin City Council Section: The following update is thanks to Cllr. Ray McAdam from his website. “Dublin City Council has added the upgrade of a road junction to the Phase II programme of works. The initial phase of the tendering process has now been completed with Council officials expecting the second stage to start in November. All going to plan, it is anticipated that construction can begin on March 29th 2018. In terms of Phase III of the project, between the North Strand Road and the Phibsborough Road, the Council has had to review the documentation surrounding the cost of the project, meaning that tender documents should now be issued in December 2017. It is anticipated that the Contractor will be on site before the end of April 2018. The project requires certain approvals from Waterways Ireland.” Phase 4 of the project, from CrossGuns Bridge to Ashtown, was stalled in 2016 due to the lack of planners caused by the Luas cross city project.

Ashtown to Castleknock Section: Completed June 201

Castleknock to FCC/KCC (Dublin/Kildare) Border – feasibility done, Fingal County Council are about to complete the tendering process for a design engineer for the deep sinking portion which is likely to be costly and there are some concerns for the environmental impacts of heavy construction in this area – indications are that it may be a further 2 years before this section is complete.

Dublin/Kildare Border to Maynooth – feasibility done – next stage preliminary design – no further update available.

Maynooth to Kilcock (Chambers bridge) – The work from Maynooth Harbour to Chambers Bridge is due to complete in the second week of November 2017, with further works at Bailey’s Bridge to be completed later in the spring of 2018.

Kilcock greenway (Chambers bridge to Spin bridge): Completed Dec 2016
    Kilcock to Ferns Lock: Waterways Ireland are carrying out works from Spin Bridge, just west of Kilcock to Ferns Lock

Ferns Lock to Cloncurry: there is a delay with the work from Ferns Lock to Cloncurry as a new Part 8 was required and it was hoped there will be an update on this in the coming weeks.

Cloncurry Bridge to the Blackwater Aquaduct: Meath County Council are currently finalising this section.

Aquaduct to Moyvalley (Fureys Public House): Kildare County Council and Waterways Ireland are working on this and this work is sixty per cent complete but the section cannot be completed until spring 2018.

Moyvalley to Westmeath: Meath County Council had completed the section from Moyvalley to Westmeath and Westmeath County Council has finished the remainder of the work as far as Athlone.

Westmearth/Longford border to Cloondara: Westmeath to Ballymahon completed summer 2017. Kenagh (Mosstown) to Kilashee is under construction. Working is also progressing from Foigha Bridge to Mosstown and they are expecting to do Longford Bridge to Archie’s Bridge before the end of the 2017. Longford council are awaiting funding to complete the section from Archies bridge to Foigha (Mullawornia) but hope it will be done for Easter 2018.

Unless you are familiar with all the place names along the canal, you really need to have a detailed map in front of you reading all this. The reference to Athlone above should probably be the Longford/Westmeath border instead. Essentially, all of Longford and Westmeath is completed (or will be very soon), Meath has quite a bit completed or under way, Kildare still has a good bit to do, Fingal has a lot to do and Dublin needs to get it's act together. AFAIK, the canal ends at Richmond Harbour in Clondra and the short section beyond that is regarded as part of the Shannon navigation.

As far as I can make out, by Spring 2018, this will be the situation:

33bjrev.png

Sections in green will be to full Greenway standard and those in blue will be at various stages ranging from feasibility design to work started.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭nilhg

Went up this morning with two lads from the club and did the short section between Fureys Bar and where the Longwood road goes under the railway and the canal, have to say that the three of us were impressed with the surface, nice to see it being well used with quite a few runners, walkers, people with dogs and most importantly kids with shiny new bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sneepmo

I know the royal canal greenway is now fully open in County Westmeath but does anyone know if the section from Moyvalley (Fureys Pub) to the Westmeath border is fully open/upgraded. Planning a cycle and one of our group has a road bike so not sure whether the surface is going to be ok for the initial 10k to the westmeath border.

I've tried to highlight and attach the section i'm talking about if that helps!

Cheers

see here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sneepmo

Great thanks, I thought it was complete but because Moyvalley is actually in County Kildare I wasn't 100% sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

In terms of Phase III of the project, between the North Strand Road and the Phibsborough Road, the Council has had to review the documentation surrounding the cost of the project,
    What is the issue between Binns Bridge and North strand road? there is a tarmac surface the whole way, and no barriers?
    Phase 4 of the project, from CrossGuns Bridge to Ashtown, was stalled in 2016 due to the lack of planners caused by the Luas cross city project.
    Again the only issue here is opening the barriers, its tarmac the whole way

When's the missing Link from North Strand to Sherrif St getting done, i.e. the bit that needs actual engineering to bridge the railway.

What is the issue between Binns Bridge and North strand road? there is a tarmac surface the whole way, and no barriers?

The plan is to upgrade this section to full Greenway standard. As far as I remember, the published plans involved additional landscaping, access points and more gradual ramps. For example, at Jones Road, there will be ramps allowing access in both directions,
    Again the only issue here is opening the barriers, its tarmac the whole way

Phase 4 as originally proposed didn't involve much work from Cross Guns to the railway bridge before Cabra but the section beyond that is to be widened, resurfaced and presumably get better screening of the derelict industrial units. Parts of the section between Pelletstown and Ashtown are breaking up and presumably will be replaced. The section beyond Ashtown gives a good idea of what is intended for much of the Fingal/Dublin route.
    When's the missing Link from North Strand to Sherrif St getting done, i.e. the bit that needs actual engineering to bridge the railway.

This is Phase 2 mentioned in my post #46 above.

am interested to hear any reviews of new sections that people cycle sometime soon. i'll be planning a spin down to athlone in April and will take in any of the more interesting stretches. am in 2 minds about continuing then from Mullingar to Athlone on the old rail trail - obviously far safer but can get a bit boring...

Just a heads up the newly opened section between Maynooth and Kilcock has been closed again by KN Networks for some reason. No info on the Waterways site just fencing erected across the path and some signage indicating its closed until the 22nd of this month.

Just a heads up the newly opened section between Maynooth and Kilcock has been closed again by KN Networks for some reason. No info on the Waterways site just fencing erected across the path and some signage indicating its closed until the 22nd of this month.

There's mention above in post #46 of further works at Bailey's Bridge taking place in Spring 2018. Maybe Spring has come early?

Must be it I've been on it a couple of times since it opened and finished path stops a couple of meters each side of that bridge and is just muck. Its a nusance to close it so soon after it reopened lots of people using it now.

Latest news on the Dublin City sections of the greenway here: https://raymcadam.com/2018/01/10/so-just-when-will-work-start-on-the-royal-canal-greenway/
    There had been a suggestion before that the absence of a Northern Executive would delay Waterways Ireland approval but this seems to have forgotten about now. However, Irish Rail and the Commission for Railway Regulation are now being flagged as delaying factors.
    Good to see that Phase 4 from Drumcondra to Ashtown is beginning to move again even if it will be 2019 before any work starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Gerry

That's a pity I was just on that section last week.

• Advertisement

I emailed Waterways and in fairness they called me back that day there is a precast section being installed under the accommodation bridge so thats the reason behind it. I guess once thats done we've a great piece of Greenway on our doorstep. I know I'm looking forward to it reopening its great for the kids and their bikes!

Advertisement