Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas 2019 purchases

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

TRS30 wrote: »

Gosh, totally missed this one !

Just remembered when I went to Copenhagen I popped in the Lego shop, it was crazy expensive (like everything else in CPH) so did not buy anything.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

otnomart wrote: »
    Just remembered when I went to Copenhagen I popped in the Lego shop, it was crazy expensive (like everything else in CPH) so did not buy anything.
    I had the same experience! That is one jaw-droppingly expensive city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Gosh, totally missed this one !

Never been however was in Oslo a few years ago and it was pretty expensive.

Lego in general is very expensive. My Dad is big in the Technic Lego and pays big money for some of the large items. Anything themed, HP, Disney etc is also very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Jude13

Does booking a rental car for my trip home at Christmas count?

Jude13 wrote: »
    Does booking a rental car for my trip home at Christmas count?
    Sure: here, pretty everything can be claimed as a Christmas related expense :)

• Advertisement

Sure: here, pretty everything can be claimed as a Christmas related expense :)

I want to get new wooden floors in the playroom and front room. One my justifications to my wife last night was 'wouldn't the rooms look great for Christmas' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,101 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We're getting extensive works done to the ground floor in our house after we get back from holidays, new floors, new firepalce & new kitchen. On the basis this all needs to be done for christmas as we're hosting we're justifying this as a christmas project!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I got wooden floors put down the year before last. Turns out the dog can't walk on them and they scratch really easily. I miss my carpet. :(

DvB wrote: »
    We're getting extensive works done to the ground floor in our house after we get back from holidays, new floors, new firepalce & new kitchen. On the basis this all needs to be done for christmas as we're hosting we're justifying this as a christmas project!
    Posy wrote: »
    I got wooden floors put down the year before last. Turns out the dog can't walk on them and they scratch really easily. I miss my carpet. :(

what kind of floors did you get or are thinking of getting? If you don't mind me asking. Am thinking of semi-solid natural oak at the minute.

what kind of floors did you get or are thinking of getting? If you don't mind me asking. Am thinking of semi-solid natural oak at the minute.

We currently have a mixture of tiles in the kitchen area & solid oak flooring throughout the remainder of the ground floor including the hall (other than the hall & wc the remainder of the ground floor is completely open plan)

We're changing to solid or semi solid timber flooring throughout the ground floor, budget dependant as we're also looking to get new skirtings & architraves throughout as well.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

We currently have a mixture of tiles in the kitchen area & solid oak flooring throughout the remainder of the ground floor including the hall (other than the hall & wc the remainder of the ground floor is completely open plan)

We're changing to solid or semi solid timber flooring throughout the ground floor, budget dependant as we're also looking to get new skirtings & architraves throughout as well.

Any reason for changing the oak flooring, if you don't mind me asking? whatever we put down I want to last a long time.

Any reason for changing the oak flooring, if you don't mind me asking? whatever we put down I want to last a long time.

Installed it when I moved into the house 15 years ago and it has aged, aged well, but aged nonetheless. Its also gotten dmaged in places when we had work done before & had it patched when we had walls removed which despite being a good match are still not perfect.
    As I said we're looking for the same floor finish throughout and fancy a different style to the one we currently have.

As a product its done a fantastic job & I'd recommend it though.

Installed it when I moved into the house 15 years ago and it has aged, aged well, but aged nonetheless. Its also gotten dmaged in places when we had work done before & had it patched when we had walls removed which despite being a good match are still not perfect.
    As I said we're looking for the same floor finish throughout and fancy a different style to the one we currently have.

As a product its done a fantastic job & I'd recommend it though.

Thanks. Am in the early looking stages so interested in getting personal experiences of different types, colours etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Will I be eaten alive if I suggest laminate? We've got tiles in most of the house, but in the bedrooms and sitting room, we have a lovely oak laminate! Wears very well - especially with small children!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Will I be eaten alive if I suggest laminate? We've got tiles in most of the house, but in the bedrooms and sitting room, we have a lovely oak laminate! Wears very well - especially with small children!

Not at all CL. Am open to all suggestions. Just in the bit of research I had done so far, semi solid seemed to get the best reviews. Hope to get out this weekend and look in a few places so hopefully have a better idea after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

Just a suggestion look up Pergo flooring, its a type of vinyl planks but it looks exactly like wooden floor.it’s a bit the expensive side but it’s waterproof, mark proof and comes a 25 year guarantee. I got it last year and it’s great, had to take a Brillo pad to it after spilling some paint and it didn’t even leave a mark. I’ve attached a pic of my hallway floor

th283 wrote: »
    Just a suggestion look up Pergo flooring, its a type of vinyl planks but it looks exactly like wooden floor.it’s a bit the expensive side but it’s waterproof, mark proof and comes a 25 year guarantee. I got it last year and it’s great, had to take a Brillo pad to it after spilling some paint and it didn’t even leave a mark. I’ve attached a pic of my hallway floor

Thanks. Looks great.

How much is it roughly? if you don't mind me asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

Thanks. Looks great.

How much is it roughly? if you don't mind me asking.

It was €1400 for 50 square yards

Some retail news for those Elves based in Dublin.

Have to admit I have never heard of either of these chains, before !

" World-famous US toy store FAO Schwarz is to open a 6,000 sq ft shop in Dublin department store Arnotts.

The store, which featured in the movie Big starring Tom Hanks, will open in late October and is part of a strategy by Arnotts to create a family 'destination' in the city centre.

FAO Schwarz will be in the area and will be joined by another well-known US brand, Pottery Barn, which will bring its nursery range to Ireland for the first time. In total, the child-focused area will be 17,000 sq ft."

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/toy-store-fao-schwarz-comes-to-arnotts-38124862.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Sooo exciting! So glad I'm having a baby in August...another reason to go shopping :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Jude13

" World-famous US toy store FAO Schwarz is to open a 6,000 sq ft shop in Dublin department store Arnotts.

The store, which featured in the movie Big starring Tom Hanks, will open in late October and is part of a strategy by Arnotts to create a family 'destination' in the city centre.

FAO Schwarz will be in the area and will be joined by another well-known US brand, Pottery Barn, which will bring its nursery range to Ireland for the first time. In total, the child-focused area will be 17,000 sq ft."

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/toy-store-fao-schwarz-comes-to-arnotts-38124862.html

Pottery Barn has some lovely stuff, we got a lot of our furniture there.

jellybear wrote: »
    Sooo exciting! So glad I'm having a baby in August...another reason to go shopping :D

Many con'grats :)

Was telling the other half about this last night. We got talking about the movie Big and we both thought that the keyboard scene was in 'Toy R Us' in Time Square. We were in there and saw a keyboard like the one in the movie.

Guess that's what old ages does to you, the old mind starts going :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Congrats on the upcoming jelly baby :)

Aw fantastic, congrats!

Picked up a pair of walkie talkies for the little fella in Lidl this morning.

UK survey: A quarter of the population have already started their Christmas shopping
    https://moneyfacts.co.uk/news/savings/a-quarter-of-the-population-have-already-started-their-christmas-shopping/

I have, anyway! :D

• Advertisement

Top Toys 2019: Argos Reveals Its Predictions, 200 Days Before Christmas

Advertisement