Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fossil Sport Smartwatch: £62.30

Comments

Ush1 wrote: »
    Just tested this on my fossil sport and still says Google pay is not working in your location.

That was the method that I was thinking of.

I'll also try it when u get the watch but if it's not working it's not working.

Not the reason I bought it tho in any case.

With this watch you would need your phone with you for Google pay in any case so not a huge deal to have to use the phone imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

glasso wrote: »

With this watch you would need your phone with you for Google pay in any case so not a huge deal to have to use the phone imo

Yep, it's a great price for it and I like the watch. Wear OS has documented issues but once you charge it every night it will cover most needs, exercising etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

weird, I'm curious to know why I don't need my phone with me for the Huawei watch which is to all intents and purposes the same OS. Anyway will find out soon, and I'll make do with cycling tracking until the damned pool reopens!

mrcheez wrote: »
    weird, I'm curious to know why I don't need my phone with me for the Huawei watch which is to all intents and purposes the same OS. Anyway will find out soon, and I'll make do with cycling tracking until the damned pool reopens!

Hasnt that Huawei watch got a Sim card and hence own connection to the internet?

Or can you pay without the internet connection?

Being honest I'm not an expert on how the security and balance checking works in conjunction with the NFC really.

I think that it varies by device.

Obviously the transaction is checked at the pos terminal but I believe that also a connection can be required on the device side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

I've had a ticwatch for a while now and love it. Same as this charging daily.

Think il pull trigger on this and treat myself.

• Advertisement

Hasnt that Huawei watch got a Sim card and hence own connection to the internet?

Or can you pay without the internet connection?

Being honest I'm not an expert on how the security and balance checking works in conjunction with the NFC really.

I think that it varies by device.

Obviously the transaction is checked at the pos terminal but I believe that also a connection can be required on the device side

You can put a SIM in but I don't bother.

What I do need to do perhaps once in a while is activate Pay Enabler while beside phone then it must create a local token on the watch.

I can then head to supermarkets and use the watch all without needing the phone with me for up to two weeks or so. Great stuff and handy for buying a coffee when out on the bike or going for a jog.

I hate carrying my phone with me so great to have the freedom.

I wonder if it's because I have Revolut on my Google Pay rather than an Irish card

Incidentally, I went through Quidco when I was buying this so I get £ 3.32 cashback too... nice deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Just got one, thanks op.

You can put a SIM in but I don't bother.

What I do need to do perhaps once in a while is activate Pay Enabler while beside phone then it must create a local token on the watch.

I can then head to supermarkets and use the watch all without needing the phone with me for up to two weeks or so. Great stuff and handy for buying a coffee when out on the bike or going for a jog.

I hate carrying my phone with me so great to have the freedom.

From what I've read Pay Enabler doesn't work since the Wear OS H update.

From what I've read Pay Enabler doesn't work since the Wear OS H update.

Yeah I read that too... there's a proxy workaround on xda developers though which seems to work for some.

Will investigate later when I get it...

Here's some info about...

https://www.technipages.com/wear-os-google-pay (scroll down to "What if I don’t live in one of the supported regions?")

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-enable-google-pay-unsupported-t3980625

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭podge3

Word of warning about Fossil, they make great watches but their customer service is appalling. Check them out on Trust pilot.

In my own case, I purchased a gen 3 gents watch about this time last year. I received a ladies watch in a totally different colour to chat I ordered. Initial contact with Fossil looked helpful but then went around in circles for a few weeks. In the end, I opened a claim with PayPal and was refunded. Obviously buying through PM/PW etc complicates things.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Gal2glam wrote: »
    Anyone know why the SALE30 code won’t work for me? It’s saying coupon already in basket

Also having this issue. Anyone?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Also having this issue. Anyone?

Just tested. Fine for me.

UK site/chrome/laptop.

order processed... seems to be same watch I ordered so far ;)

Quick one.. does the music player on this have the option to output to it's own speaker, or is it only via Bluetooth headphones?

Sometimes you may forget the headphones but still want a bit of a rhythm going, even if it's fairly tinny sounding

order processed... seems to be same watch I ordered so far ;)

Quick one.. does the music player on this have the option to output to it's own speaker, or is it only via Bluetooth headphones?

Sometimes you may forget the headphones but still want a bit of a rhythm going, even if it's fairly tinny sounding

It doesn't have a speaker.

It doesn't have a speaker.

Do bluetooth headphones work fine with it?

Also I'm assuming you can play music with the stored files rather than having to have phone with you?

Do bluetooth headphones work fine with it?

Also I'm assuming you can play music with the stored files rather than having to have phone with you?

Yeah Bluetooth headphones work fine.

Yes I use Google play music and download a playlist for when I'm running without the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FollowMyWay

Ordered two (grey and green), thanks OP.

Green shipped and I see the grey is sold out now, hopefully not a wait for it to be sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Ryath

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FollowMyWay

Ryath wrote: »

Damn, would have liked the blue over the green. Oh well.

• Advertisement

Damn, would have liked the blue over the green. Oh well.

If you mean the 43mm one, it's not. Is shows as in stock, until you try to put it in your basket, then it will say out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Ya, I finally jumped when I saw the blue was available, but nope. I just want a neutral coloured bezel that I can put a leather strap on.

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Ya, I finally jumped when I saw the blue was available, but nope. I just want a neutral coloured bezel that I can put a leather strap on.

I don't think the Sport watches are really design for the luxury look.. they're more akin to Swatch watches in purpose.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

No 43mm left. Woulda 41mm look out of place on mens wrist?

Hellrazer wrote: »

I was actually wondering the same. Why would 2mm difference make a watch "male" vs "female".

Is there anything else different apart from the 2mm bezel size?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Ryath

41mm is still a good size for a mens watch 43mm would be nearly oversized for some but that's the fashion for smart watches. There doesn't seem seem to any difference in spec battery and screen size is the same the 43mm just has a bigger bezzel. For comparison a Rolex Submariner is 40mm!

Some of the colours in the 41mm are more feminine. I'd wear the red and dark blue no problem. The 18mm vs 22mm strap is going to look a bit skinny on a guys wrist though as it tapers so much. Changing it for one that didn't taper would help a lot with the looks.

Barton straps are quite nice and not expensive
    Nato for £11 No good with heart sensor! They look great though!

Silicone for £20

511284.jpg

Ah right, yeah the wrist band is a different width too, forgot about that.

I have a load of wrist bands for other watches, so I'm going to assume they're 22mm too as I probably will swap the red one that comes with the watch I've ordered.

I got the 41mm, looks a lot better I think. I'm average sized male and looks grand. Hate bezels so a smaller one is preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭dingbat

Hellrazer wrote: »
    OP here. I am male. 41mm really is fine unless you're Andre the Giant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Brego888 wrote: »
    Interested in an android smartwatch. Can anyone recommend a decent budget alternative to this fossil? Battery life is putting me off.

I have an amazfit GTR and I'm delighted with it. It has GPS and connects your runs and cycles to Strava. It does sleep tracking.

It measures PAI which is motivating for keeping exercise going.

It shows notifications from social media apps

Has other features such as current temperature, has a compass, find your mobile feature and the battery life is comfortably over a week.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazfit-Smartwatch-Activity-Tracking-Aluminum-Alloy/dp/B07VHHR7ML

Advertisement