Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scammed online please useful info

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Which country where the IPs in?

Do you get the impression that the OP is avoiding answering certain questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

ciars20 wrote: »
    They obviously tried to transfer it to themself's but failed

If they failed then where's the money gone ? Should it not be in your account ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ciars20

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    From Betway......seems fairly comprehensive

Once you have created an account and have become a Betway customer, additional information is processed on an on-going basis. Betway may also collect:

a record of all internet communications and details of your visits to our Websites;
    technical information relating to how you use our products, such as the type of device you are using and the browser you are using to access our Websites;
    payment information and details of transactions you carry out through the site, including your payment, withdrawals and wagers;
    communications with us or our employees, for examples, calls, emails, and messages sent through the live chat service;
    information regarding your location, including IP address and traffic information;
    any additional information you submit through the website for example on forums, chat rooms, comment sections or in response to quizzes and questionnaires;
    pages that you visited including what you have clicked on. Please see the Cookie Policy below for more information;.
    Sometimes we may also request photo ID, proof of address, and source of funds;
    Occasionally we may also access your public records (eg.: news articles, social media, forums, official records such as the electoral roll).

Read all of that info already. I have all my records of my emails and conversations with them. Someone hacked me on this website and I am going to keep arguing with you guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 MaureensFry

I don't believe you for a second OP but what you do now is.

1) Lodge an official complaint with BOI and you will get a reference number.
    https://www.bankofireland.com/help-centre/customer-complaints-process/
    2) If Bank of Ireland close the case you can log it with:
    https://www.fspo.ie/
    who will have the final decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Read all of that info already. I have all my records of my emails and conversations with them. Someone hacked me on this website and I am going to keep arguing with you guys

If you can’t answer straight forward question how can anyone help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

I don't know how it exactly happened bevause I am not a hacker but the Internet Is a dangerous place I have learned and there is mean people in the world

You are either not telling the truth,

Living with someone who is chronic gambler,

Or extremely Naive and extraordinarily relaxed with your online security.

1 & 2 seem the most obvious to be honest. These companies track your IP address, they would refund you or entertain you if you hadn't entered your CVV number. Same with your bank!

*If this is genuine, then I'm sorry for your loss however you are partly to blame. Look in to revolut going forward, you can have disposable card numbers to prevent the likes of the above happening

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AppleD

I just don’t see how the scammers would win here. They use your card to place bets, IF they were to win, the money would go on your card?

So they kept playing and losing until all the money was gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

Out of curiosity, what age bracket are you? 12 yo's are not legally allowed to gamble afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Oops! wrote: »
    Hmmm....
    Oops! wrote: »
    Ah grow up FFS....

Some story....

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Lots of recent ''how to hack Betway'' videos on youtube. But I think those videos themselves are scams that require one to go to a different site to enter some info to get this amazing hacking info .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

Whats the odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

degsie wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what age bracket are you? 12 yo's are not legally allowed to gamble afaik.

Just seen the OP registered yesterday, also seen his thread in BOI. Painful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

But he has no protection on laptop so unknown if someone has planted something and gathering info on keystrokes and loggers and the site might be good.There are scams going online and up to you to have some protection and if not may now be paying the price

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
    free edition

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

duffman13 wrote: »
    You are either not telling the truth,

Living with someone who is chronic gambler,

Or extremely Naive and extraordinarily relaxed with your online security.

1 & 2 seem the most obvious to be honest. These companies track your IP address, they would refund you or entertain you if you hadn't entered your CVV number. Same with your bank!

*If this is genuine, then I'm sorry for your loss however you are partly to blame. Look in to revolut going forward, you can have disposable card numbers to prevent the likes of the above happening

If its genuine then it's not on, Banks are suppose to protect a customers money, not just brush it off as '' o well ''

• Registered Users Posts: 31 PricklyPete

OP might be being very unfairly bashed here.

A common scam on gambling sites is for a hacker to gain control of someone's account, deposit as much as they can to that account using the card linked to the account, then lose it to their own (the hacker's) account at a poker table.

Can you see if the money was lost at a poker table? If so, and you caught it fast enough the site should be able to freeze withdrawals on the account the money was dumped to while they investigate.

greasepalm wrote: »
    But he has no protection on laptop so unknown if someone has planted something and gathering info on keystrokes and loggers and the site might be good.There are scams going online and up to you to have some protection and if not may now be paying the price

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
    free edition

If they don’t that then why not take the money? A lot of trouble to do a few bets with no way to get any cash

On the site when ur card details are entered it doesn't give u the full debit card number just the last 4 digits. As this is stored on the site they can keep making transactions.they can only make transactions within that site as they don't have the full card number.

I researched the site after I got hacked and yes I should of researched it before hand. And yes I shouldn't of keeping my money in my CA. Trust me everything you guys are telling me I've heard it all. I'm getting no support from anybody regrading this situation I thought I would by coming on here. But no people just want to rub problems in ur face and blame u instead of helping u.

What help do you expect from people who deal with I.S. other than already provided. It's the legal forum of the site you want.

As for me, I don't enter my card details onto a site before I research it, and where possible I use PayPal even if I have. If I ever do get scammed I won't be coming online asking for advice.

I can't speak for everyone on the thread, but most who actually deal with I.S. in terms of cleaning up messes know that 99.99% of the time the people who we are cleaning up after aren't exactly honest with how they got into the mess.

If your claiming to be the 00.01% go speak to a solicitor. But be aware that if your not and you go down this route you'll most likely have costs awarded against you, and open yourself up to further losses.

Ok little bit of advice here to OP

First up your whole story has a number of massive holes in it. Like huge holes. I don’t use Betway or any betting site but I know some Betting companies from working with them and they have invested massively in security etc. Betway looks from website to have done similar

Second, BOI again as a bank have huge regulations put on them from central bank and ECB. Massive investment again in security

You say you don’t know Security, let me just say you would be frightened how much data an ethical hacker can pull in a few mins, if they do an investigation then they have found everything....even if using vpn

If both companies have investigated and no reason why they wouldn’t it would suggest you did not get hacked, now I’m saying suggest

You need to start telling the truth because at the moment it’s clear you are telling half a story, plus opening a post on a boi forum on board sing getting any money back, they will post tomor telling you to contract fraud department

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

OP might be being very unfairly bashed here.

A common scam on gambling sites is for a hacker to gain control of someone's account, deposit as much as they can to that account using the card linked to the account, then lose it to their own (the hacker's) account at a poker table.

Can you see if the money was lost at a poker table? If so, and you caught it fast enough the site should be able to freeze withdrawals on the account the money was dumped to while they investigate.

Surely if that was the case, Betway would see it all being dumped to an account? Presumably by "life savings" , it would be a fairly substantial amount.

Ok guys I have read all your comments and you are all doubting me. I don't know what happened with my account or how I got hacked. All I know is the money wasn't transferred to anyones account. The money was just used on betway and betway only. I think myself that the hacker was trying to deposit the money from my account and then try to withdraw it onto their account. But the website doesn't allow this I don't think so. Tbh I am fully sure I logged out after each time I used the site. But I also have a lot of tabs open when I'm on my device too but that mightnt of caused the problem. But let me tell you all I am completely innocent. When researching myself I seen someone talking about it been an inddor job. But I don't know how true that is

• Advertisement

Ok guys I have read all your comments and you are all doubting me. I don't know what happened with my account or how I got hacked. All I know is the money wasn't transferred to anyones account. The money was just used on betway and betway only. I think myself that the hacker was trying to deposit the money from my account and then try to withdraw it onto their account. But the website doesn't allow this I don't think so. Tbh I am fully sure I logged out after each time I used the site. But I also have a lot of tabs open when I'm on my device too but that mightnt of caused the problem. But let me tell you all I am completely innocent. When researching myself I seen someone talking about it been an inddor job. But I don't know how true that is

Are u absolutely sure they didn't lose it at a poker table to themselves? I'm not familiar with Betway, but can you see what game the money was lost at? Surely there must be some kind of account history on there.

Sorry anyways if this is genuine, it's a double kicking to be scammed and then not believed afterwards.

Are u absolutely sure they didn't lose it at a poker table to themselves? I'm not familiar with Betway, but can you see what game the money was lost at? Surely there must be some kind of account history on there.

Sorry anyways if this is genuine, it's a double kicking to be scammed and then not believed afterwards.

I have no idea what they done because betway blocked the account after I reported it.

Yes I am so upset to be reading some of these comments tbh. I am already bad enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 MaureensFry

I have no idea what they done because betway blocked the account after I reported it.

Yes I am so upset to be reading some of these comments tbh. I am already bad enough

As allready posted this is your next step if you are genuine.

https://www.bankofireland.com/help-c...aints-process/

I used to work for an online betting company, believe me when I say they know every trick in the book of people trying to get their money back who lost it themselves.

There would be emails in every day about losing mortgage payment, user was drunk at the time, the user was no-where near the account and were hacked, users thinking using a VPN will block their trail in case they lose and can say their account was hacked.

That's the only way I can think of them getting your money to themselves. It happens a lot on poker sites. I would email support and ask them if they could mail you your poker hand history, that way you can at least see if your money was dumped to another player's account via a poker table. They should already be investigating that possibility themselves, but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Which country where the IPs in?

Any chance we could get an answer to this one OP

As allready posted this is your next step if you are genuine.

https://www.bankofireland.com/help-c...aints-process/

I used to work for an online betting company, believe me when I say they know every trick in the book of people trying to get their money back who lost it themselves.

There would be emails in every day about losing mortgage payment, user was drunk at the time, the user was no-where near the account and were hacked, users thinking using a VPN will block their trail in case they lose and can say their account was hacked.

Yes I understand but this isn't the case with me. I did not make such large transactions with this site.

ianob7 wrote: »
    Any chance we could get an answer to this one OP

One of the ip addresses was Georgia which I find very strange as they don't let that state use their site which I find a bit phishy why Georgia was one of the ip addresses. Now let me tell you when I got the report these were the ip addresses put on it. Who knows if they were telling the truth or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

So how much money are we talking about here in lost life savings?

How many transactions were made withdrawing cash from your current account into your betting account?

How much have you lost on the bets placed from your account since the lodgements from your life savings into your betting account began?

How many gambling transactions in your transaction history do you not recognise?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

And they reported all this back to you in 24 hours and made the final decision? And the bank too? On a Sunday? Yea, likely story.

Not even a good troll.

Edit: I see from the other post it's been 3 weeks, or so he says. Still not enough time for them to come back with a firm no.

Takes much longer than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

OP lost his bollocks betting on line and now In a panic looking to see if someone can find a loop hole to help him claim that it was fraud.
    Genuine On line fraud is dealt with fairly robustly by the banks . All on line bookies have good security set up so OP I would be looking closer to home for the culprits and stay out of betting sites if you don’t know how it works or you don’t have money or lose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement