Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crappy presents - Candles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In theory I like candles but in reality as a guy I find it hard to get one's I like the scent of.
    I remember Aldi did them a few years ago but I haven't seen anything really since that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yeah but everyone loves the fresh cotton one.

You say that but nope. Not for me. I like lemon, grapefruit, melon scents.

EXIT: I also love the Christmas scents but whenever we get one, it gets regifted... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Melania Frump

In theory I like candles but in reality as a guy I find it hard to get one's I like the scent of.
    I remember Aldi did them a few years ago but I haven't seen anything really since that.

A guy!

Dont know why I thought you were female and no offence intended.

Maybe lime basil and mandarin? Nice musky guy scent.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

My brother loves this.

https://www.erbolario.com/en/ginepro-nero/perfumed-candle-black-juniper-3055.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

r3nu4l wrote: »
    EXIT: I also love the Christmas scents but whenever we get one, it gets regifted... :(

I will happily take the Christmas scent regifted ones :P

• Advertisement

A guy!

Dont know why I thought you were female and no offence intended.

Yes, I'm male. I watch soaps and like Christmas.

Musky one's can be okay.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I love candles, and scented candles, especially cinnamon, jasmine, lavender or pomegrante can all so much atmosphere and warmth to a room.

That said, the specific scent is subjective and may not be to everybody's taste.

I have only ever received candles an an Xmas gift a couple of times, and was very grateful to get them.

OP - if you don't want family/friends to gift you or your wife candles, just say so.

Personally, I would be pleased to get anything from anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I have one sister I don't like and I get her a candle every year. Not a good one either this year it was from the 2 euro shop and it wasnt even 2 euro it was 1.50

Strange that a person would go on an internet discussion board and post something that should be a private family matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Melania Frump

Yes, I'm male. I watch soaps and like Christmas.

Musky one's can be okay.

I havent seen your posts but I usually make assumptions from usernames.

Again seriously didnt mean to offend :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

https://celticcandles.ie/large-pop-jars/222-large-pop-jar-lime-basil-and-manderin.html

My favourite candle!!

Saltwater Shores is also lovely....
    https://www.tipperarycrystal.ie/products/saltwater-shores-filled-tumbler-glass

I also don't like 'Fresh Cotton' at all.

Candles are a tricky gift. Unless I've seen a particular one lit in someone's house or have seen a diffuser of it, I don't buy them for people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Graces7 wrote: »
    Love candles but cannot afford them; please send them here! I mean that. I have the stub end of one left.

All of this is part of the reason we ( family and friends) do not give cards and gifts but send cash to a charity instead.. and give our time to each other at these times, in whatever way we can.

OP give your candles to a charity shop ? They will sell well; or pm me for my address!

Cannot believe folk quibble like this.

I'll post it tomorrow

Is your address as below?

Graces7
    The Island
    Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

One of my relatives and I had a chat about the candle thing before the candles it was a craze of bags of pot porri!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    One of my relatives and I had a chat about the candle thing before the candles it was a craze of bags of pot porri!!

Ah, yesss, I remember it well... "These crisps taste awful!" :rolleyes:;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

New Home wrote: »
    Ah, yesss, I remember it well... "These crisps taste awful!" :rolleyes:;):D

Just had a rummage through the cupboards and found a strawberry scented bag!!!

I loved the peach scented ones. And some of the flowery Avon ones. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

OP is rightly peed off at investing time and money into others presents and getting thoughtless crap back. It’s an imbalance in the relationship: you feel obliged to put thought into it and they don’t give a s**t.

My solution: look at other ways you’re expected to play second fiddle and stop doing that. People will quickly tune into the fact that you’re thinking more of yourself. And that’s the key. Think more of yourself.

When it’s next Xmas tell everyone that you’re giving vouchers and you only want vouchers. That leaves you free to buy what suits you. Tell them plainly that candles will be donated to charity. If you want to make it pointed praise the idea of the pro cathedral and unwanted presents.

Your new year resolutions OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Wife can't get enough of the Yankee candles

I used to like them but you get black stuff up your nostrils from them

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    OP is rightly peed off at investing time and money into others presents and getting thoughtless crap back.

When it’s next Xmas tell everyone that you’re giving vouchers and you only want vouchers. That leaves you free to buy what suits you. Tell them plainly that candles will be donated to charity. If you want to make it pointed praise the idea of the pro cathedral and unwanted presents.

Your new year resolutions OP.

That, to me, sounds like being ungrateful, to be honest. Irrespective of what it is, even if it's just a card or a text, I'm grateful to receive it, because it usually (usually, not always) shows that someone was thinking about me. Also, you don't really know other people's means, and asking for vouchers could put them under strain. And before you say candles are expensive, for all I know they might have got them in a charity shop. :D
    begbysback wrote: »

You do know you're not supposed to smoke them, right? :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Most likely from a high flame. Trim the wick regularly and no black stuff up the nose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

That, to me, sounds like being ungrateful, to be honest. Irrespective of what it is, even if it's just a card or a text, I'm grateful to receive it, because it usually (usually, not always) shows that someone was thinking about me. Also, you don't really know other people's means, and asking for vouchers could put them under strain. And before you say candles are expensive, for all I know they might have got them in a charity shop. :D

That to me sounds like continuing exactly in the frame of mind the OP was complaining about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

lol wasn’t smoking it, was amazed myself to find it was the candle, seriously google black up nostril with yankee candle

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

I know they're kinda pricey but if you liked the Aldi ones you might like tghe Paul Costello range of candles in Dunnes! Amber Blush is the one I really liked but there's a good few to choose from

I'm so picky with scents and hate anything too sweet or floral! I'm not even a big fan of Christmas scents, but will put up with them to nostalgia :P

I'm also a little cautious about giving people candles just encase they burn the house down!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Candles can be nice to get but if the OP's wife has had enough of them she needs to speak up and point people in a different direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

r3nu4l wrote: »
    One person's 'spring meadow', is another's 'wet dog'.

This is a hilarious thread! Can't stop laughing at these comments! :D I've only ever given one candle as a present, €12 from the Arnott's bargain basement, I was told that the recipient loved candles. Job done!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Postgrad10 wrote: »

Before the pot pourri there was the bath salts. Remember those cubes of thrush inducing poshness from the poundshops that you'd fire into the bath for a special occasion? Flake optional... :pac:

I like candles, but I'm a bit fussy about scents. Some Christmas scents are ok but a lot are awful. I like citrusy themed ones.

Do I show my age if I say that not only do I remember bath salts, but I have also used them and was delighted to get them as presents?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭DvB

My Mrs is a big fan of candles but over the christmas tends to go through a load of tea lights rather than lighting big scented ones. We have a few decorations that hold tea lights and she keeps them going for as long as the decorations stay up.

Neither of us really like the christmassy scented ones and when we've been gifted them in the past light them only for short spells as they can be quite overpowering if left burning too long.

In saying that if we received any as a gift in the past we've definitely kept them (or so i've been told anyway) but i don't really remember getting many of them.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

My wife loves them but I can't get my head around the fact the people will pay €17 for a smelly candle, really!

BTW bought her a couple for Christmas, definite brownie points earned.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    My wife loves them but I can't get my head around the fact the people will pay €17 for a smelly candle, really!

BTW bought her a couple for Christmas, definite brownie points earned.

Don't look up Molton Brown candles!

Advertisement