Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards.ie hacked?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Received a message from 'Oria2' at 840am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭Patser

Siara19 is new name in town

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Why not just make it so that you can't send PMs from new accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭oholly121

Yeah Siora1 here too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just got one Recipients: bambooman2, DARCHA22, drunkmonkey, paul_ie86, washwell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

I got one at 07.44 this morning ..... Siora1

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭barefoot

I got a PM...Slara19... and an email.....Siora1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭wally79

Siara19 in PM inbox since 8:27

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    All the new PMs from overnight should now be deleted. Unfortunately though there are a very large number of e-mails with content sent which we cannot deal with, so please remain vigilant

Apologies, but it seems that with so many PMs it takes the system some time to catch up with the deletions. The development team should be in now and looking at ways to accelerate the deletions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Can't access boards from my mobile since last night. Just get this twirling circle kind of thing. Do I have some kind of virus or what? Laptop seems ok so far. I had thought about uninstalling it but checked first with the Playstore and it doesn't seem to be there to download at all. What's going on?

Can anyone explain what Touch Site, Responsive Site [/I]and Legacy mean? Never understood all of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Got a message from siora91

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There’s a thread in the Help desk which explains how you can download the app from the Play store.

There’s nothing wrong with your mobile or app. Cloudflare Protection for this site has been dialed up as a response to these spam attacks. This is causing some people to have difficulty in accessing the site. Please bear with it, it should only be temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Siora91 at 07.43 today, didn’t open

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Received one at 0830

Can boards temporarily deny access to PM and do a mass delete of spam?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PinkGeekette

I would love to know how these people got my email address??? Boards.ie, have you investigated this? Your Logo is attached to the email and the email was received from no-reply@boards.ie. I would like to receive a response from boards.ie within the next 24 hours or I will ask the data protection commissioner to investigate it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

wally79 wrote: »
    Siara19 in PM inbox since 8:27

Likewise, name and time same.

I would love to know how these people got my email address??? Boards.ie, have you investigated this? Your Logo is attached to the email and the email was received from no-reply@boards.ie. I would like to receive a response from boards.ie within the next 24 hours or I will ask the data protection commissioner to investigate it for me.

This has already been explained in this thread. They did not get your email address. They sent you a PM on Boards. This automatically triggered a system notification from Boards. The spammers did not directly send you an email.

To the best of our knowledge, there has been no data breach. Please see Section 7 of the Privacy Policy for details on how to raise any privacy concerns that you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭gifted

I received a pm from a girl this morning...deleted it without opening the link....

A shame because I reckon it would have been magic between us...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Bigsliothar

Sara earlier this morning !!

Received one at 0830

Can boards temporarily deny access to PM and do a mass delete of spam?

We are working on restriction measures. We have deleted the spam PMs, but several chronjobs need to run in order for the deletion to take full effect. We have also blocked the bit.ly link. In the meantime, do not click on any links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

These people don't have your email address. As explained throughout this thread, they got your username from a public forum (boards.ie) and used a fake account to send you a private message (PM).

As is always the case, on receipt of a PM, an automated notification email is sent from no-reply@boards.ie by boards.ie to your email address. If you receive email notifications for threads that you comment on, you'll see they come from the same no-reply email address. There hasn't been a data breach of any kind.

Perhaps the Admins should add a sticky to this effect at the start of this thread before the blanked out number plate brigade have a GDPR meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Charge 1 euro to signup while de Emergency of 2019 is going on, donate it to SSF

Should reduce dodgy signups from bots

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I'm very upset, I thought Sara was just messaging me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

If you would be kind to read all or at least pages 1-5, you would know where you mistaking and how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I received it too and deleted it.
    Thanks to the admins and techs for working on this.
    Life is busy enough for them without having to deal with crap like this.

Would it be a good idea to put an alert/message on the boards home page or possibly on every forum to remind users not to click on links in these types of e-mails. There will always be a % of users who will click on links in these types of messages, so it might be beneficial to add an extra warning to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭jmreire

Just received an PM purporting to be from Boards.ie

"Message from Sareo1" giving a link ,with the boards.ie logo.

I have not opened it, so what's the best thing to do now? Delete without opening, for sure, but do I need to change my Board's password? Or any other measure's to take?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

What I wanna know is why anyone would set up a profile using their personal email. I set up an email years ago that I use for Social media and forums. Never compromise yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

What I wanna know is why anyone would set up a profile using their personal email. I set up an email years ago that I use for Social media and forums. Never compromise yourself.
    But then you will never get chance to meet Sara!!!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

But then you will never get chance to meet Sara!!!:D

F**k I'll pass tinder and coppers is out there for that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Just noticed the "notice" now.
    I might have ignored it initially or it recently appeared, but good job for putting it up there.
    Maybe add an red exclamation mark to highlight it just in case it is treated as a regular notice and not treated with the urgency that it should be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement