Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RadRhino E-bikes (Cyber Monday)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Technically not street legal as it has a throttle.

Its also VERY heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

How could you get this on the bike to work scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

cronos wrote:
    How could you get this on the bike to work scheme?

You can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭epopnomis

RossieMan wrote: »
    You can't.

can you get any electric bike on the bike to work scheme. I have a local shop selling them.

If the shop takes it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

RossieMan wrote: »
    If the shop takes it.

If the shop takes what?

Payment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Thread title could be more a lot more specific OP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Thread title could be more a lot more specific OP

Agreed - title updated

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

epopnomis wrote: »
    can you get any electric bike on the bike to work scheme. I have a local shop selling them.

if you mean is there any electric bike that qualifies then yes.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2008/act/25/section/7/enacted/en/html
    ‘ pedal cycle ’ means—

(i) a bicycle or tricycle which is intended or adapted for propulsion solely by the physical exertions of a person or persons seated thereon, or

(ii) a pedelec,

but does not include a moped or a scooter;

‘ pedelec ’ means a bicycle or tricycle which is equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kilowatts, of which output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 kilometres per hour, or sooner if the cyclist stops pedalling;

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

Check with your employer if they take part in the scheme. Some employers will deal direct with the bike store, but some will operate through a 3rd party service provider (for a Fee. Eg https://www.biketowork.ie).

Your choice of bike store may be limited by how your employer chooses to administer the scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

epopnomis wrote: »

Electric bikes are considered motorcycles in this country and require insurance, helmet and tax. A pedal assist bike is legal once it can't assist above 25km/h and move without you turning the pedals.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Electric bikes are considered motorcycles in this country and require insurance, helmet and tax..
    not all of them
    Del2005 wrote: »
    A pedal assist bike is legal once it can't assist above 25km/h and move without you turning the pedals.
    again not all of them, as per the irishstatutebook post I linked, which covers the bike to work scheme -which is what you are replying to.

I guess my question would be what's the best bargain folding bike, bargain electric bike and bargain normal bike that could be purchased on the cycle to work scheme. Would be used for commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I bought this from these guys via https://www.cahill.ie/ on the bike to work scheme.

Was able to combine vouchers with my other half too (other half for the purposes of buying the bike, a workmate who was never gonna use theirs).

Haven't ridden it yet ha ha - been in the attic for the last year - but it folds and it's electric so there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Haven't ridden it yet ha ha - been in the attic for the last year - but it folds and it's electric so there ya go.

Seems the only thing the bike to work scheme is actually good for is providing a constant supply of barely used bikes at a fraction of their retail price on adverts and donedeal. Yours will be an even better bargain when you plug it next year an find the battery pack won't accept a charge :pac:

would ya ever try and be happy - it's not so hard.

I bought this from these guys via https://www.cahill.ie/ on the bike to work scheme.

Was able to combine vouchers with my other half too (other half for the purposes of buying the bike, a workmate who was never gonna use theirs).

Assuming you had used it I'm curious if it was a bargain bike. Its a difficult one to find a bargain for online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Batteries deteriorate over time if not used, especially if left uncharged or stored in inappropriate conditions (too hot or too cold)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

homer911 wrote: »
    Technically not street legal as it has a throttle.

Its also VERY heavy

Does the throttle make it not street legal? My understanding is that it just needs the pedal sensor (i.e. pedaling is your main source of motion). Never saw any mention of additional requirements of what it can't have.

They're all heavy. I wouldn't be planning on carrying it up stairs :D

It looks pretty decent OP. I'd love the cargo bike but don't technically have the need or space. They're cheaper than I've seen them locally, but the Bike-To-Work scheme might balance that out and better to have local support when you need it. As a general comment, ebikes are great. Takes the pain out a commute with wind and hills. I actually feel a bit safer in traffic on mine as I can now accelerate from stop at speeds closer to a car and you're more consistent with speed in general. Was in New York recently and they were everywhere.

cronos wrote: »
    Assuming you had used it I'm curious if it was a bargain bike. Its a difficult one to find a bargain for online.

It was €1800 with a few things thrown in (pump, helmet etc). The test drive was very sweet. Bargain or not I don't know, but the OP mentioned folding electric which was also my criteria.

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    Does the throttle make it not street legal?
    yes, even if it was a pedelec it does not qualify as it is too powerful.

There is a massive thread in the cycling forum about the bike to work scheme.

Discussion of committing tax fraud, as was posted here, is not allowed.

rubadub wrote: »
    yes, even if it was a pedelec it does not qualify as it is too powerful.

There is a massive thread in the cycling forum about the bike to work scheme.

Discussion of committing tax fraud, as was posted here, is not allowed.

Wait, the hand throttle or the power makes it not street legal? It's listed as limited to 25kmph so I think it's okay there. It might exceed the 250 watt restriction but can't tell from the listing. Not 100% sure what the requirement is from the statute book either.

Who's discussing tax fraud?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Wondering what would be the price for the 2017 model phat? Was looking to buy an electric bike from Halfords in the new year, Carrera Vulcan😀

Wait, the hand throttle or the power makes it not street legal?
    Either one will make it not street legal, it just happens to have both.
    It might exceed the 250 watt restriction but can't tell from the listing. Not 100% sure what the requirement is from the statute book either.
    says it is 750W and I linked to irishstatutebook saying 250W for bike to work scheme.
    discussion of combining vouchers

xckjoo wrote:

You can't combine 2 bike2work scheme vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

https://easymotion.ie/collections/folding-electric-bikes

Purchased this

https://easymotion.ie/collections/folding-electric-bikes/products/impulse?variant=35082329095

on the bike to work scheme a couple of years ago. great bike and fits in the boot of the car.

rubadub wrote: »
    Either one will make it not street legal, it just happens to have both.

says it is 750W and I linked to irishstatutebook saying 250W for bike to work scheme.

discussion of combining vouchers

You'll find it hard to find an electric bike motor that's actually 250W, it's the firmware on the controller that's used to restrict the output. It would be more efficient on the motor too. Not sure if that has been challenged or tested in court, but it seems to be standard across Europe (which are statute is basically a derivation of). I'd like to see some more legislation around smaller electric vehicles in general. I don't think those electric push scooters are legal at all, but I could see how they'd be useful in a bigger city.

Didn't spot the mention of combining vouchers. Down with this sort of thing!

Advertisement