Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

Fair enough but sending it on that loop from Eden Quay over to Poolbeg St is a bit messy to avoid that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You’re going to have to have a loop somewhere tbh and better at the end than the start.

A judicial review is being sought against the planning permission for Clongriffin Core Bus Corridor planning application over a bus stop location....

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/dublin/2024/03/18/legal-action-from-artane-residents-threatens-new-busconnects-corridors-in-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭GusherING

Really hard to see any basis in the article which supports a judicial review being taken here. They don't like the bus stop design for their road but that is not a defect in the planning process for the bus corridor, which appears to have been meticulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Daith

I do sympathize with them about removing sheltered bus stops with a non sheltered one, if that is the case.

However there's always that telltale "there was an issue with the consultation" (doubtful) and "constitutional property rights" which is probably the crux of the issue, not wanting people outside their house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭loco_scolo

One would wonder if retaining 'footpath parking' is also a part of the issue. If the paths are wide enough to accept parking on the footpath, then I see no issue having adequate space for a bus stop.

If the stop is unsheltered, then that's appalling, it should be sheltered, no question.

In terms of bus spacing, currently between Mornington and Mayfield inbound, spacing is 220m to Danieli Rd, 370m to Killester Avenue, 340m to Mayfield.

The proposed spacing is 465m to the new stop at Kilmore Road and 465m to Mayfield Park, which is ideal in that location.

Looking at those photos, it should have a bus shelter but also the residents can't exactly complain about narrow footpaths with cars parked on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Having a bus stop right outside the cottages seems uncomfortable for residents and bus passengers. The cottages are quite exposed, windows/front doors are directly on to the path. Not the place for a bus stop. They should move it up or down the road.

We'll see how meticulous the planning is I guess.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ironically it probably doesn’t have a bus shelter, to reduce complaints of said bus shelter blocking the view from the cottages. Sometimes you just can’t win.

Very hard to see this even getting to a JR. I don’t see the legal grounds for it.

• Advertisement

The root of this issue is a need to reduce the number of bus stops and increase bus stop spacing, which is entirely reasonable.

The issue at this specific location is every house either side of the cottages has a private driveway directly onto the road, so bus stops cannot be located there. I can't see an alternative arrangement of stops which increases spacing, without leaving 'too large' of a gap elsewhere.

Including the green space directly opposite the cottages, there are 32 metres to play with. If they seriously can't find an extra metre to build a proper shelter, then I fully support the residents creating holy hell with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭crushproof

At first I thought this was a ridiculous appeal. However it's utterly bizarre that they haven't utilised that huge amount of space opposite to include a bus shelter and expand the path on the cottage side of the road.

I though the whole idea of Bus Connections was to vastly improve the PT infrasturcture and increase patronage. People don't want to be standing at a windswept pole in the elements.

Perhaps it might also be an idea to read the NTA responses to the issues raised at the planning hearing before jumping to conclusions. There are very detailed assessments of them.

https://clongriffinscheme.ie/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2023/06/Clongriffin-to-City-Centre-Response-to-ABP-Submissions_Final-20220721.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

'Narrow footpath'... That's EXACTLY where a white Transit parks every day and blocks the whole footpath

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭GusherING

Is taking a judicial review seeking a court order quashing the entire plannings permission for the bus corridor really proportionate here?

I've already looked through about 12 other documents. The one you attached is 311 pages long. Care to be constructive and guide me where to look?

According to the article, it appears you can't take judicial proceeding against one part of the scheme? It has to be the full scheme?

There is a table of contents at the front that lists the various locations.

@LXFlyer I'm not sure why you responded to this post with a passive aggressive perhaps read the NTA responses.

I have just read those responses and they do not address the lack of a bus shelter. It states that the footpath width outside the cottages was largely retained by moving the outbound cycleway into the green area.

My suggestion is to utilise that green area further to allow space for a bus shelter. No bus stops in the city should be unsheltered, especially where two nearby sheltered stops are being consolidated into one. It would set a very poor precedent for other locations in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

It's under the Architectural Heritage Assessment. Page 62

No significant changes are proposed to the alignment of the existing footpath in front of Artane Cottages Lower, however the inclusion of a cycle track under the Proposed Scheme will mean that the cottages will be set further back from the vehicular traffic using the Bus Lane and road carriageway than they are at present. The design of the Proposed Scheme has purposefully only included a bus stop pole and RTPI sign and avoided the placement of a bus shelter at this location, which will minimise impacts on the setting of Artane Cottages Lower.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

All along the Core Corridors, they've taken pains to avoid chopping down mature trees. While they're facing a challenge from the cottages residents over this bus stop plan, if they decided to take those trees on the far side of the road they'd be facing challenges from everyone instead.

Having read through those docs, there's only one real legal avenue for them, that I can see at least. ABP have said that it doesn't matter that the scheme is not 100% compliant with DMURS and the various guidelines, so long as the overall scheme is an improvement on what's there. That itself hasn't been tested in court yet, so it could be that the courts might want to rule on that point, even to dismiss it. If the courts do take this case and uphold this JR, then it's going to be an absolute nightmare for anything that needs to change in Dublin. There's no way to design guidelines that will cover 100% of the cases through the city, and complying with the guidelines 100% is not possible in the real world.

Realistically that green space is one mature tree and several smaller ones. I doubt anyone is going to miss them while they wait for a bus, out of the rain, under a shelter.

I'm not overly concerned about the impact on less than 10 small cottages, but I don't think it sets a good precedent for other areas. The guidelines for bus locations are below. Arguably there is space for a bus shelter at this location, so I think it's unacceptable not to have one.

I think you might have the missed the entire "Save our Trees" campaigns around BusConnects.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It looks from the planning drawing that some bit of a footpath is being retained along the road, on the road-side of the wall. If the only path was on the other side of the trees, you might sqeeze out enough space for a shelter on the other side of the road, i.e. the line of the wall at the existing footpath becomes the kerbline of the outbound bus lane, then everything shifts over.

I doubt there would be much objection to removing a couple of those years tbh, particularly if the plan was to landscape that area and provide new trees and planting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I really don't think that it does set a precedent. All the steps that they went through in the consultation is there, and the two reasons that they don't have a shelter there are:

• Historic buildings directly at the path, with no place to put a cantilevered shelter as there is windows and doors quite close to each other for the length of the cottages.
    • A request from the owners of those cottages not to have a cantilevered bus stop on their buildings.

Rather than set a bad precedent, I'd see the steps that the NTA took here as broadly positive for almost every other area. Yes, it'd be great if every stop was sheltered, but that doesn't really work in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

No problem, trees can be relocated. New technology allows to relocate even the existing trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭citizen6

There is an existing bus stop (with shelter) about 150m to the west. I get that the spacing isn't ideal, but I don't see the sense in moving the stop to a location where there won't be a shelter and where it's right outside somebody's front door. It seems like penalising those people for not having front gardens.

That said, I don't think the courts should be overturning ABP decisions for stuff like this.

I see the sense in rationalising the distances between stops, and also see the sense in putting a stop at the end of a road that is losing their bus route. Sucks that it's outside those cottages, I can understand that, but they don't own the pavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭citizen6

Fair points. I didn't realise the other road was losing a bus route.

I would still make a distinction between the pavement outside those houses, and the pavement outside the houses further along that have front gardens. Bit of a grey area between public and private when the path is directly outside someone's door/window.

• Advertisement

The current and proposed spacing is below. Around Dublin, on average, bus stop spacing is 300m on average. Recommended spacing is 400m on average, a bit less in city centre, a bit more further out.

So there's a need to realign the stops. Given the level of private driveways in the area, it's difficult to realign them in a better way, while also allowing for longer bus stop platforms which can accommodate 2 buses at the same time.

Current spacing from Mornington:

220m (Danieli), 370m (Killester Ave), 340m (Mayfield), 330m (Donnycarney Church)

Proposed spacing from Mornington:

465m (Kilmore proposed), 465m (Mayfield), 330m (Donnycarney Church)

Advertisement