Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Guisseppeth

ForeRight wrote: »
    Is there anyway of playing portmarnock without the ridiculous price charge?

Winter Rate Weekdays - €125. Lunch included apparently - bargain!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Winter Rate Weekdays - €125. Lunch included apparently - bargain!!!

That's just ridiculous money.

And to think people moan about €40 for open singles in the European twice a week as too dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carpo86

ForeRight wrote: »
    Is there anyway of playing portmarnock without the ridiculous price charge?

It's €40 with a member if you can find one to take you out. The green fee is obviously set for the American market and makes up a substantial portion of their revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Any members on here like to bring me for a game ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Guisseppeth

Absolutely ridiculous. I wouldn't pay it. I'm getting an entire weekend of golf for a little more than that!! We played the Dunluce and the Valley at Royal Portrush this summer but got a deal as one of the lads knew the secretary. If I had to pay £160 for the privilege I don't think I'd bother.

We were looking at Ballybunion for this year and when we called we were told there was no chance of a weekend tee time even in late September but could play mid week for €100!! A guy I know is a member there and he says that basically they don't need weekend green fees - there are busloads of Americans arriving on a daily basis throughout the summer so they can pretty much keep the weekends free for members. I'd still like to play it though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

mike12 wrote: »
    Ballycastle 1 £25 Opens Antrim
    Rathmore 2 £35 Antrim
    Royal Portrush 3 Played £125 Antrim
    Doonbeg Links 4 €185 Clare
    Kilkee 5 €30.00 Clare
    Lahinch 6 €100 Opens Clare
    Lahinch Second 7 Clare
    Fermoy 8 €20.00 opens Cork

Portstewart 9 Played £80 Derry
    Ballyliffin 10 Played Donegal
    Ballyliffin Galsheady 11 €80 Opens Donegal
    Donegal 12 Played €50.00 Opens Donegal
    Dunfanaghy 13 €30.00 Donegal
    Greencastle 14 €20.00 Donegal
    Narin & Portnoo 15 Played €30 Opens Donegal
    North West 16 €30.00 Donegal
    Portsalon 17 €40.00 Opens Donegal
    Rosapenna 18 Played €60 Donegal
    Rospenna Tom Morris 19 Donegal
    Ardglass 20 Played £40 Opens Down
    Carnalea 21 £17.50 Down
    Castlerock 22 £65 Down
    Donaghadee 23 £23 Down
    Kirkistown Castle 24 Played £25 Opens Down
    Mourne 25 Played N/A Down
    Royal Co. Down 26 Played €100.00 £140 usually Down
    Corballis Links 27 Played €20.00 Dublin
    Portmarnock 28 Played €180 Dublin
    Portmarnock Hotel 29 Played Dublin
    The Island 30 Played €20.00 Dublin
    The Links Portmarnock 31 Played €20 Dublin
    The Royal Dublin 32 Played €60.00 Dublin
    Connemara 33 €65 Opens Galway
    Galway Bay 34 Played €20.00 Galway
    Ballybunion 35 €180 Kerry
    Ceann Sibeal 36 €65.00 Kerry
    Dooks 37 €85.00 Opens Kerry
    Skellig Bay 38 €70.00 Kerry
    Tralee 39 €180.00 Kerry
    Waterville 40 N/A Kerry
    Seapoint 41 Played free Lout
    Co. Louth 42 Played Free Louth
    Greenore 43 Played free Louth
    Belmullet 44 Played €65 opens Mayo
    Laytown & Bettystown 45 Played €50 Opens Meath
    Bundoran 46 Played €45 Sligo
    Co. Sligo 47 Played €70 Opens Sligo
    Enniscrone 48 Played €60.00 Opens Sligo
    Strandhill 49 Played €40.00 Sligo
    St. Anne's 50 Played €20.00 Sublin
    Rosslare 51 €40.00 Opens Wexford
    Arklow 52 €40 opens Wicklow
    European 53 Played €60.00 Wicklow

Definitely not a links!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Got to play Portmarnock for Free we won a 4 ball comp in our club can't remember the name of the comp but the finals were in Portmarnock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Managed to get out in Portmarnock for a corporate gig a year and a half ago.
    I wouldn't be shelling out that kind of money for it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

Atlantic coast Challange is only €139 for three of the best courses in the country. No way I'd pay €100 for Portmarnock or any where else for that matter. It's just too expensive. I'd love to play all the great links courses but I'm afraid once I pay my sub in January and play around a little bit that's my budget blown for the year.

It's very expensive when you hit the south west, but most courses have a cheap rate be it scratch cups, 3 day events ect. Winter rates are another good way to play a few. Going to try and play ballyb and lachinch this year if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Played 12holes in Corballis today with roadrunner- jaysus the afternoon was gorgeous out there- I don't get to play a links course enough but when I do I absolutely love it. The par 3s on the front 9 of Corballis are real beauty's- fairways need some divots.

Kerry Vs Dublin
    For the best county to play golf in in Ireland, Can't really think of any other counties that come close for quality of courses maybe Dublin in 3rd place. The big difference is the cost the 10 courses in Donegal you could play for around €500 for the 6 in Kerry it would cost more thn €750.

Kerry.

Ballybunion
    Ceann Sibeal
    Dooks
    Skellig Bay
    Tralee
    Waterville

Donegal

Ballyliffin
    Ballyliffin Galsheady
    Donegal
    Dunfanaghy
    Greencastle
    Narin & Portnoo
    North West
    Portsalon
    Rosapenna
    Rospenna Tom Morris

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Kerry Vs Dublin
    For the best county to play golf in in Ireland, Can't really think of any other counties that come close for quality of courses maybe Dublin in 3rd place. The big difference is the cost the 10 courses in Donegal you could play for around €500 for the 6 in Kerry it would cost more thn €750.

Kerry.

Ballybunion
    Ceann Sibeal
    Dooks
    Skellig Bay
    Tralee
    Waterville

Donegal

Ballyliffin
    Ballyliffin Galsheady
    Donegal
    Dunfanaghy
    Greencastle
    Narin & Portnoo
    North West
    Portsalon
    Rosapenna
    Rospenna Tom Morris
    Skellig Bay is not a links, if you are flexible and not a wealthy tourist then it's madness to pay the rack rate, all those course can be got for €50 or in most cases less(even in high season).
    You have to hand it to Kerry, they know hospitality and how to market it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Kerry Vs Dublin

Kerry.

Ballybunion
    Ceann Sibeal
    Dooks
    Skellig Bay
    Tralee
    Waterville

Donegal

Ballyliffin
    Ballyliffin Galsheady
    Donegal
    Dunfanaghy
    Greencastle
    Narin & Portnoo
    North West
    Portsalon
    Rosapenna
    Rospenna Tom Morris

Think you need to add Murvagh to the Donegal list?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Loire wrote: »
    Think you need to add Murvagh to the Donegal list?

Donegal and Murvagh are the same thing - Mike has Donegal on there already... but he is missing Cruit Island... well matched by Castlegregory in Kerry. Both 9 hole courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Donegal and Murvagh are the same thing - Mike has Donegal on there already... but he is missing Cruit Island... well matched by Castlegregory in Kerry. Both 9 hole courses.

Going Blind!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭benny79

surely Lanich €100 & doonbeg €125 cant be worth that!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Ronney

Kerry Vs Dublin

Kerry.

Ballybunion
    Ceann Sibeal
    Dooks
    Skellig Bay
    Tralee
    Waterville

Donegal

Ballyliffin
    Ballyliffin Galsheady
    Donegal
    Dunfanaghy
    Greencastle
    Narin & Portnoo
    North West
    Portsalon
    Rosapenna
    Rospenna Tom Morris

Agree Donegal is great value but you'd have to add in the Petrol to drive between them (two courses in Bally B too)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Ronney wrote: »
    Agree Donegal is great value but you'd have to add in the Petrol to drive between them (two courses in Bally B too)

This is a strange comment.

I've not been to Kerry to golf. But it's a bloody big place, and I'd harbour a strong guess that the drive from tip to top of Donegal (more or less Bundoran to Ballyliffin) takes no longer than the run from Waterville to Ballybunion.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Achill 1
    Clogher Valley 2
    Cruit Island 3
    Cushendall 4
    Gweedore 5
    Helen's Bay 6
    Manor 7
    Mulranny 8
    Otway 9
    Raffeen Creek 10
    Rush 11
    Buncrana 12
    Connemara Isles 13
    Spanish Point 14
    Berehaven 15
    Bushfoot 16
    Carrickmines 17
    Castlegregory 18
    Larne 19

The 19 9 hole links i was able to find, Anyone know how to paste out of excel keeping the boarders as a table.

Helen's Bay isn't a links. It's closer to the sea than a number of premier links, but is a pure parkland.

Buncrana is a links in terms of turf and terrain. But it's more of an extended pitch and putt than a golf course.

But at least they have some claim to be on this list. If Clogher Valley was anymore inland it would be underground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

I was thinking about getting a GPS but when I looked at a Golf Buddy (not sure which version) in McGuirks the detail it showed was was just distance to bunkers and water.

Lots of links courses use grass hills and mounds to define the shape and distance you need to hit your drive. In the old Strokesavers these were marked but did not show up on the Golf Buddy. While the information it gave was of some use the information not available would have caused you problems on a number of holes.

So my question is this
    What is the best GPS for playing links courses? What level of detail does it provide?

thewobbler wrote: »
    Helen's Bay isn't a links. It's closer to the sea than a number of premier links, but is a pure parkland.

Buncrana is a links in terms of turf and terrain. But it's more of an extended pitch and putt than a golf course.

But at least they have some claim to be on this list. If Clogher Valley was anymore inland it would be underground.
    I have to say the way i compiled the list was to go thru the GUI website all 430 clubs and take their work for it is they called themselves a links at that stage i had played 3 links courses. I still can't find a list of all the links courses in Ireland. Some where between 50 and 60 but i don't know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

So a friend of mine got a two-ball for The Island at Christmas and he rang me last night asking me to play with him! Stoked.

Never played it but I have been meaning to for a good while now. So what am in for? FDP is it as good as your favourite Corballis?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,710 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

the lawman wrote: »
    So a friend of mine got a two-ball for The Island at Christmas and he rang me last night asking me to play with him! Stoked.

Never played it but I have been meaning to for a good while now. So what am in for? FDP is it as good as your favourite Corballis?

Absolute class.

It is miles ahead of Corballis - but has similar bizarre aspects.
    It is the course Corballis would be and could be , if it had the space and was a full course. It is effectively the same land.

If you don't like blind holes - you won't like it. But amazing course. Very, Very hard. The rough is very hard to play out of. Even on the first you say , this is interesting. Then you stand on 2 and go - ok what on earth is this. Then the back nine is sublime.

I was totally surprised by the place - as I didn't think we had dunes like that on the east coast. The course guide is very good and nice to see Philip Walton giving you tips. Nice welcome in the pro shop too.

Another aspect to the place , is the raw distance of some of the par 4s - big drives required on many holes.

Then you come around to Malahide - it is so peaceful, yet you feel you are in a city. A great run of holes home - and every hole is different.

You need to play every club in your bag.

For me it is the only thing I've seen on east coast up there with west coast.

I'm probably building it up too much. But it is the hardest course I've played. I was very close to joining - but I felt it was more a roller-coaster than a day to day golf course. A course for a great day out as opposed to an every day course. The last hole alone is affirmation of that - I hit a good drive and a 4 iron to it , very few par 4s in the country like that - just too hard.

Kevin had a piece on it here.
    I've another write up somewhere.

Would agree the Island is the one of the best Links on the east coast right up there with RCD and the European. Not sure it is as hard off the tee as some of the others but a lot of long par 4's. hope you enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,710 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Would agree the Island is the one of the best Links on the east coast right up there with RCD and the European. Not sure it is as hard off the tee as some of the others but a lot of long par 4's. hope you enjoy.

Playing it next month - I was struggling off 12 at the time. A little better of a golfer now.
    But - Was looking at holes like 1 - 11 - 12 - 17 and 18.
    You need to get the ball out there not to have at least a 6 iron or lower in.
    Again - a good while - so will see how I get on next month at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

I don't ever want to play parkland golf again after reading all this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Playing it next month - I was struggling off 12 at the time. A little better of a golfer now.
    But - Was looking at holes like 1 - 11 - 12 - 17 and 18.
    You need to get the ball out there not to have at least a 6 iron or lower in.
    Again - a good while - so will see how I get on next month at it.

Thanks FDP I figured you'd know it well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Absolute class.

It is miles ahead of Corballis - but has similar bizarre aspects.
    It is the course Corballis would be and could be , if it had the space and was a full course. It is effectively the same land.

If you don't like blind holes - you won't like it. But amazing course. Very, Very hard. The rough is very hard to play out of. Even on the first you say , this is interesting. Then you stand on 2 and go - ok what on earth is this. Then the back nine is sublime.

I was totally surprised by the place - as I didn't think we had dunes like that on the east coast. The course guide is very good and nice to see Philip Walton giving you tips. Nice welcome in the pro shop too.

Another aspect to the place , is the raw distance of some of the par 4s - big drives required on many holes.

Then you come around to Malahide - it is so peaceful, yet you feel you are in a city. A great run of holes home - and every hole is different.

You need to play every club in your bag.

For me it is the only thing I've seen on east coast up there with west coast.

I'm probably building it up too much. But it is the hardest course I've played. I was very close to joining - but I felt it was more a roller-coaster than a day to day golf course. A course for a great day out as opposed to an every day course. The last hole alone is affirmation of that - I hit a good drive and a 4 iron to it , very few par 4s in the country like that - just too hard.

Kevin had a piece on it here.
    I've another write up somewhere.

FDP Agreed very similar terrain to Corbalis but with distance. Interesting comment on blind holes as I would have thought there to be relatively few (Drive on 5, 2nd on 8 and 2nd on 15). Perhaps that's cause I play here and don't even notice some of the blind shots.

1. Driver along the left gives a view to the hole, to the right means playing over the high dune.
    2. Favour's a draw as the fairway doglegs left. Very tough green to hold and if you are putting down the slope, very very quick.
    3.If you can get a big drive away here it makes a huge difference to the approach. A spine in front of the green pushes everything to the right so you have to land very close to or on the front left of the green. Ok if you are playing a 7 or 8, very tough if you are playing a 4i or 5w. If you do kick to the right of the green, don't be afraid to putt up the hill onto the green.
    4.Play to the right of the bunker to have a good view of the green but no real problems here.
    5. Drive looks difficult but even an OK drive over the pole gets you within a flick. Ideal approach is to land it short and run onto the green over a little mound.
    6. Play short of the bunker with a 5W or 3R and you have an 7,8 or 9 to the green. A Driver risks the bunkers but even if you miss them, the further up the right hand side you go the harder the angle for the 2nd becomes.
    7. A good drive helps a lot with the approach. Very difficult approach with a spine in front of the green kicking it right and left, so you need to land front left of the green.
    8. 3I or at most a 5W off the tee otherwise you are in trouble as the fairway stops at about 200 yds.
    9. As you see it
    10. A brave man (or my Nephew) will hang the ball out over the OOB to the right and draw it back. A more modest player can play a 3 W and aim at the left hand bunker and be comfortably on in 3.
    11. Driver unless a strong wind behind you. I have a tendency to over club on my 2nd and go through the back where it is impossible to get up and down. best to land front of the green and let it run on.
    12. If you are good enough, Driver to the right and draw it back onto the fairway. Miss the fairway on the right and you won't make it in 2. Miss it on the left and you've no chance. For me the most difficult driving hole on the course.
    13. Aim for the tennis club on the left of the green. At worst a simple up and down.
    14. The tee shot is about accuracy so leave the Driver in the bag. Approach shot to the left edge of the green as it will feed right.
    15. If the wind is behind then green reachable in 2, but it requires a drive down the left edge of the fairway flirting with the bunkers.
    16. Never up never in.
    17. Driver will give you a mid iron 2nd. Approch shot to the green should be on left edge as it will feed to the right.
    18. As tough a finishing hole as you could wish for. 460 Yds off the medal (420 yds from the green) tees and generally into the wind. If you are a big hitter can get it through the gap and running down the hill and it can be an 8i or less. For the rest of us its a drive and a fairway wood or long iron.

In general the 1st 9 has some difficult medium to long par 4's (1, 2, 3, & 7) and some short par 4's (4, 5, 6, 8) that you need to be scoring on. The back nine at 3650 Yds (3,423 from the Greens) is long but there are opportunities to score on the 10th, 11th, 14th, 15th, 16th and 17th.

The key to a good score is long and accurate drives.
    The key to an OK score is short and accurate.
    The key to a disastrous score card is long and wild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Jaysus I'd love to play that links- but a bit pricey for a game unfortunately.

Great hole by hole guide to get me drooling

Advertisement