Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Our defense has been excellent so far. So much better than I ever expected. I still don't think Pyror is a franchise QB but happy to roll with him for the year.

Interested to know why you dont see Pryor as a franchise QB. He is doing an excellent job considering the injuries to the o-line & lack of proven talent at WR/TE.

I know he is still probably a bit raw at reading d's but wat other issues.do you see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Interested to know why you dont see Pryor as a franchise QB. He is doing an excellent job considering the injuries to the o-line & lack of proven talent at WR/TE.

I know he is still probably a bit raw at reading d's but wat other issues.do you see?

Pretty much everything really. Poor pocket presence/awareness, very average arm strength, very poor decision maker, average accuracy, poor touch on his balls. Apart from being mobile and fast there really is nothing the guy excels in as a passing QB.

Pretty much everything really. Poor pocket presence/awareness, very average arm strength, very poor decision maker, average accuracy, poor touch on his balls. Apart from being mobile and fast there really is nothing the guy excels in as a passing QB.

Could the poor pocket prescence/awareness be as a result of the poor o-line? Didn't realise his arm strength was poor :(

Would you think ye would use a 1st/2nd round pick on a QB this year or try to put talent around him in the draft & give him another year?

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Could the poor pocket prescence/awareness be as a result of the poor o-line? Didn't realise his arm strength was poor :(

Would you think ye would use a 1st/2nd round pick on a QB this year or try to put talent around him in the draft & give him another year?

Our Oline isn't great but even still he's poor. Plenty of times he's had a pocket to step into but he just tucks it and runs in a DL man or into trouble. The talent around him isn't terrible. Moore and Streater are both solid enough. Oline isn't great but it has a lot of injuries now though. I just can't see the point sticking with TP if we are in a position to draft a QB. We might draft some pieces but that should be to help the next QB, not Pyror. I just don't ever think he'll make it as a QB. He has none of the tools you'd want in a QB to build around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

In fairness to Pryor, he has improved a lot since last season in his passing ability, and if our receivers hadn't dropped so many passes against the Steelers it would have been a more comfortable 4th quarter. I've seen enough to think he can do a job for a few seasons at QB, and IF he shows continuous improvement in his general passing ability, perhaps he could be our QB going forward.

We're 5th in the league in rushing, and Veldheer should be able to practice in a few weeks and when he returns our O Line will improve significantly. I'll be really happy if we can get another 4 or so wins this season, and looking at our schedule, I don't think ending up 8-8 or better is out of the question. Apart from the Chiefs and the Broncos games, we should be competitive in all the other matches.

Looking forward to Sunday and seeing us against the Eagles on Sky, rather than watching dodgy streams!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Initially I was glad to see us sign Matt Flynn as I didnt think that Pryor was the answer, but I'm starting to believe in him. Chucky is right, his mechanics are all over the place at times, but crucially he's improving. Whether he's improving enough is a question yet to be answered, but admit it, how many QB's have we had over the last 11 years that have flattered to decieve? Actually apart from Rich Gannon, since Jim Plunkett the QB position is one that has always flattered to deceive. We've rarely drafted well and have had journeymen at the position. So we are into new territory here. Names like Todd Marinovich, Marc Wilson, Jay Schroeder, Jeff George, Marques Tuisasosopo, Andrew Walter,all aree examples of the Raiders terrible experience at the QB position (we all know about Russell, didnt think it appropriate to rub salt into our already vast wound!!) I've said that I'd be pleased to see progress this season, and I stand by that. I'm not going to pretend that we stand a chance of postseason play, but I do think that we can compete in the games we play and I've been pleased with the fact that we have competed in each game that we play so far. I just hope it continues. On a wider level it gladdens me to see all the AFC West teams competing better than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Well, that was a right mess this week from our D. No pressure on the passer and awful play by the defensive backs, the sort of play everyone expected this season from the Raiders. Bizarre considering how well we've played up till now. The Offense did quite well, rushing for 210 yards, Pryor threw for 288 yards and ran for 94 yards.

Will be interesting to see if the D can sort themselves out for next week and put in a proper performance.

Well done Matt McGloin!!

Well done Matt McGloin!!

He is having a fantastic game. 3TD's on debut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭golfball37

Great last gasp defence at the end, especially from Woodson.
    While Atlanta are struggling this year that was a fantastic win.

• Advertisement

Now who starts at QB going forward? Interesting times for us!

Now who starts at QB going forward? Interesting times for us!

It has to be McGloin. Pyror is done as an NFL starter tbh.

It has to be McGloin. Pyror is done as an NFL starter tbh.

Yea I would agree with that. Pryor probably not up to it & you get 6 weeks to assess McGloin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Thomas Howard died today in a car crash. Such a shame. He was a superstar on my infamous Raiders team in Madden 2007 (or whichever one had Favre on the front).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Thomas Howard died today in a car crash. Such a shame. He was a superstar on my infamous Raiders team in Madden 2007 (or whichever one had Favre on the front).

Jesus, that's terrible news :( Speaking of Madden, I signed him as a free agent at the start of the Boards franchise this year.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Story coming out is that he was doing over 100 mph, lost control and crashed, killing both himself and the driver of another vehicle. I find it a little difficult to sympathise with someone who basically killed himself, and took the life of another human being by being an idiot but still, RIP to them both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

RIP

It awful news but it is a shame that some innocent family is now paying the price for his stupidity

Sickening lose last night to basically knock us out of the play-offs. One positive is definitely Matt McGloin though, the guy has performed expectionally well for a UDFA. The guy reminds me a of a miniature Tom Brady.

Yeah, if they nurture the talent that is there (and he's a much more stable platform than Pryor, now Defenses have figured him out) we could have a real find on our hands. What he needs now are reliable weapons to help him, Rashad Jennings has shown that he can pitch in, we need at least 1 quality receiver and help at TE. The loss was sickening but at least we are competing this year. In every game there have been opportunities to win games. Unlike the previous few seasons where we were out of games by half-time. Progress is being made......and about time too.

• Advertisement

Get in there. Great start

This team is seriously experiencing some growing pains. The first half showed what we are actually capable of, efficient, capable offense and a good defense. The Second half however was woeful. This team needs to learn to play for 60 mins. I still think this season is better than anyone expected but I do expect to see improvements in personnel in the off-season. Especially now the salary cap hell is in the past

This team is seriously experiencing some growing pains. The first half showed what we are actually capable of, efficient, capable offense and a good defense. The Second half however was woeful. This team needs to learn to play for 60 mins. I still think this season is better than anyone expected but I do expect to see improvements in personnel in the off-season. Especially now the salary cap hell is in the past
    The 2nd quarter performance would hold up against anyone in the league almost. I'm far more optimistic than I was in September anyway. Who we bring in is crucial though.

Another season done with not much to be happy about. Looks like Allen is staying on as well. Huge off-season for the team, with 70m in cap space we really should be able to attract so good players and with the #5 pick in the draft we should really be able to improve for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Another season done with not much to be happy about. Looks like Allen is staying on as well. Huge off-season for the team, with 70m in cap space we really should be able to attract so good players and with the #5 pick in the draft we should really be able to improve for next year.

Critical decision to be made between now and April, Is McGloin/Pryor their QB for the future or do they need to use that #5 pick to take a QB. Allen said in his season wrap-up press conference, that their future QB might not be on the roster.

Current speculation is that Allen will be given one more year, (this time with money to sign the players they really want) and that the owner wants to put the entire coaching staff on one year contracts. If that's true, then Allen, with his job on the line might prefer to enter the season with an experienced QB rather than risk another season with a rookie at the position, but maybe McKenzie might prefer to grab a marquee QB in the draft if the right player is available, so it might come down to who's available when their pick comes around. If they opt to pick a QB and the right one is gone, I could see Reggie trading down a few spots and gaining an extra pick or two like last year and then maybe picking up a WR or pass rusher(both of which they need badly)

I think MArk Davis has handled this situation horribly. At first I thought he seemed so what competent, now I'm really not to sure. I'll be pretty pissed if we go QB at #5. None of them (bar Teddy) are worth it.

I dont want to draft QB at #5. I'd much prefer it to be used on Defense. We dont draft QB's. We do a much better job picking up a retread. I'm glad Allen is back for another crack at it, the last two seasons were unavoidable and very few head coaches would have done much better. With some cap space, we can finally start building a decent roster. The roster last year had the right attitude but no depth, which is hopefully what we will be able to develop this offseason. We need help all over the place, and one way or another,this offseason is going to make or break McKenzie/Allen.

Great decision keeping Allen on, signed some decent players last year and now I'm assuming all the dead money contracts are sorted the Raiders can get down to signing some great guys and actually competing for the first time in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Is Charles Woodson returning?

I've been googling for info but there is no news out there.

Would Raiders fans like him to return?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Raiders have $60 million cap space next year!! They could go any way the want!

Advertisement