Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Steve wrote: »
    Time to test out your vertigo Andy! :D

No issues with Vertigo, but have an issue about testing the SWL of the Mast/Main Halyard...........

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

There's easy ways to get to cork and sailing via fastnet isn't one. Pounded down the Irish sea yesterday and same again today along the south coast. Still a bit to go before getting to fastnet and its winds gone to crap and rain is starting.

I see that Polish boat, More Mischief getting very close to the entrance to Cork harbour, and thinking if I was on board, I’d be inclined to get straight in and be done with it.

And there’s a hell of a blow coming in tomorrow night/Tuesday, so Cork won’t be a fun place to be after a 2/3 day race.(although at least it’s blowing the right direction for anyone brave enough to head back to Dublin in it....)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Steve wrote: »

The offshore sailing school boat was assisting them, been a few retirals.

Light this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭W1ll1s

Heavy weather on the way...

https://yb.tl/rbandi_2020

This sounds like stupidity on the part of the yacht. When you see the big tanker that manouveres like a tanker coming near you it's get the **** out of the way time and not assume everything's going to be grand

https://afloat.ie/safety/mcib/item/47679-airline-pilots-on-yacht-which-collided-with-tanker-off-greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Irresponsible morons. Under engine with s much bigger commercial vessel obviously closing at speed and they persist in trying to cross in front of him at a shallow angle - at night. They were making nearly 8 knots so a minor alteration of course to port would have either dramatically reduced the chance of collision while a swing to starboard and they'd have crossed quickly. Either action would have made their intentions crystal clear.
    Even under sail I'd have expected decisive action as above.
    The real amazing thing is they weren't driven under and killed or drowned. It sure wasn't for lack of trying. I feel really sorry for the tanker Captain getting dragged into a mess like that when he's trying to earn a living and it'll probably have long term implications for him.

^^ and if in doubt, be listening on channel 16, or better still, make the call and establish communication.. (the yacht crew that is)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Those pilots don't come out well in that report, their answers at the end aren't too reassuring either. It comes down to the COLREGs; knowing them, understanding them and applying them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

But also, :pac:

Ship.jpg

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Those pilots don't come out well in that report, their answers at the end aren't too reassuring either. It comes down to the COLREGs; knowing them, understanding them and applying them.

There was definitely a hint of "We're Airline pilots, so of course we know about navigation, and COLREGS" about them alright....

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

What are people's thoughts on what happens if Dublin goes to stage three? No word from ISA on whether events can proceed (thinking of the Kish race on sunday)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What are people's thoughts on what happens if Dublin goes to stage three? No word from ISA on whether events can proceed (thinking of the Kish race on sunday)
    Yeah, we're all wondering about that as well - and we're at a VERY critical stage in the DBSC Saturdays!

I'm hoping that since sailing is out of sight, and outdoors in very fresh air, we might slip under the radar and get the last few weeks in.....

There was an email or post somewhere from IS the other day saying they were examining the new roadmap and would come out with an interpretation in due course - I'd imagine they'll be out with a statement once the Govt decides what they're doing with Dublin later today.

ETA it was a FB post, can't copy and paste the link though

What's the cruiser 3 championship referred to in the article? Is that just dbsc class 3?

neris wrote: »
    What's the cruiser 3 championship referred to in the article? Is that just dbsc class 3?
    Prob the East Coast C3 - they've asked to be allowed to use Saturdays DBSC race and Sunday's Kish race as their championships.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Prob the East Coast C3 - they've asked to be allowed to use Saturdays DBSC race and Sunday's Kish race as their championships.

East coasts haven't been run for years been no mention of it to us

East coasts haven't been run for years been no mention of it to us
    That was just a guess. Maybe it's just DL then. I'm out of C3 the last few years.

But I did see somewhere about the DBSC/Kish combo for a championships.

https://www.sailing.ie/News/id/2860/sailing-with-covid-plan

Update from Irish Sailing.

Basically, no new events, but whatever is already under way can be finished out. So DBSC looks to be OK for the moment anyway.

Hard to know where the Kish Race will fall.... maybe the fact that it's part of a C3 championship might save it. Or not......

• Advertisement

https://www.sailing.ie/News/id/2862/sailing-with-covid-update?fbclid=IwAR1yatLceO0UgXxP7Rr3W6HiY3c0aSNqfOEXl_qWxHg3oXUG8r8KixjwOaQ

Further "clarification" from IS.

Hard to know what to think, tbh...... but my instincts are telling me it's not good....

I see theyve cancelled the laster masters in DL in anticipation that it was going to be forced off. The way im reading the info in that link to the iSA is that no sailing events (all ready started or to start) will take place at all

all racing suspended in Howth for 3 weeks

all racing suspended in Howth for 3 weeks

:eek:

seems all racing in Dublin is cancelled by the iSA from a whatsapp group im in and a very senior club member

seems all racing in Dublin is cancelled by the iSA from a whatsapp group im in and a very senior club member

Nothing out from dbsc yet...... but bollix :mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I assume that would/should include the Kish Race?

I have entered for that, but have not had any notification that it's cancelled (yet).

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I assume that would/should include the Kish Race?

I have entered for that, but have not had any notification that it's cancelled (yet).

I would assume so. All just breaking, I'd expect notifications this evening.

DBSC series suspended

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Kish Race postponed.

Advertisement