Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Options to make € from my property

• 26-06-2019 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking at making some money from my property to help with all the initial costs of a new property. I'm a first time buyer.

It's a 4 bedroom detached house in an Estate in Mayo within a short distance of Castlebar etc. It's a modern new house with everything you need.

House will be owner occupied (Me and the Girlfriend).

The house has 3 other bedrooms. 2 of which are general doubles but would share 1 large bathroom.

Ther is no kids in this scenario and I'd like to possibly make some money now to help with doing up the garden etc,

What are my options?

- Rent out the 2 rooms? Get approximately 300 ish per month? (I'd like the odd weeekend where we would have the hose to ourselves), so a working professional might suit? or Monday to Friday let?

- Air B and B maybe?
    - Regular B and B

What are my best options? Thanks for any help or advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Looly8726

piobhan wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking at making some money from my property to help with all the initial costs of a new property. I'm a first time buyer.

It's a 4 bedroom detached house in an Estate in Mayo within a short distance of Castlebar etc. It's a modern new house with everything you need.

House will be owner occupied (Me and the Girlfriend).

The house has 3 other bedrooms. 2 of which are general doubles but would share 1 large bathroom.

Ther is no kids in this scenario and I'd like to possibly make some money now to help with doing up the garden etc,

What are my options?

- Rent out the 2 rooms? Get approximately 300 ish per month? (I'd like the odd weeekend where we would have the hose to ourselves), so a working professional might suit? or Monday to Friday let?

- Air B and B maybe?
    - Regular B and B

What are my best options? Thanks for any help or advice

Rent a room scheme would be the best option as is tax free up to 14k.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Looly8726 wrote: »
    Rent a room scheme would be the best option as is tax free up to 14k.

to who though...

location location location

listermint wrote: »
    to who though...

People also need places to live outside of Dublin.

It’s the best option to make money, of course air bnb would be the next best if there were no takers for the rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

All seems easy enough aside from the Monday to Friday part. If you're sticking on that you could struggle, that kind of thing can be tough enough to set-up in Dublin, where you're more likely to find people who would travel back home for the weekend, nevermind Mayo.

Yea the Monday to Friday thing isn’t realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

GMIT

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Unless in a very good tourist location air b&b isn't all its hyped up to be.. I'd prefer to have a good steady respectable tenant that will ensure a regular income

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

listermint wrote: »
    to who though...

Student Doctors/Nurses/Physios.

Contact UL, NUIG, as they all have students based up there for periods of time.

Know of a few mates that Airbnbed it up there. Not Full Time, but it could be worth a shot, as you're more likely to get the Mon-Fri lets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Just not worth doing airbnb IMHO due to tax.

Advertisement