Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Summer Challenge 2020?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

leanin2019 wrote: »
    Currently ~80kg (12 stone 8 pounds)
    Initial Target ~75kg (11 stone 11 pounds)

176cm Height (5 ft 9..and a half :pac:)

Meal plan in place should do it by end June if consistent.

When you say you’ve a meal plan until end of June is that something you’ve planned out yourself or something you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

12st 9lbs 17.2, rebounded a little after a great start (wasn't massively surprised as it was a little too good.

Training wise, I'm doing better though still finding it a struggle without a 'normal' routine, working from home some days, on the road others etc, it's the home days I find the hardest to stay on plan lol.

Diet has been ok, few beers and take away over the weekend, not perfect but I'm improving it and don't want to be too miserable during this thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

When you say you’ve a meal plan until end of June is that something you’ve planned out yourself or something you buy?

Its not my first rodeo so have a fair idea what calories I will lose weight on based on my activity levels and body weight...... and I am aiming for certain fat/carb/protein targets.

It varies wildly from one individual to the next depending on their gender, their activity levels, their current weight etc etc.

I use a spreadsheet to log and plan food. Find it easier to stick to if I plan ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

So last week was good with 4 cardio workouts. 2 14 mile bike rides & 2 four mile runs. Kept movement up so steps average is up to 9300 per day. Aiming for 10K. Really feeling fitness coming back so now back to weights from this weekend as well.

Still haven't got handle on food and too much lockdown beer is really the problem! But have myfitness pal going now & am now going to attempt to stick to 2200 cals. Still 15st 7lbs but am going to take measurements this weekend. Hopefully one or the other will change.

Off for a run now this evening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭totothejuggler

Down 2kg from last week to around 116kg.

Really miss doing heavy weights but my conditioning is great at the minute. 5k is now under 26 minutes hopefully I'll have it down to 25 minutes next week.

• Advertisement

I found an old book with an eight week program of circuits in it. Useful for home as very little required. Anyone interested in committing to8 weeks of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

leanin2019 wrote: »
    Currently ~80kg (12 stone 8 pounds)
    Initial Target ~75kg (11 stone 11 pounds)

176cm Height (5 ft 9..and a half :pac:)

Meal plan in place should do it by end June if consistent.

78.1kg this AM

Consistent this week, so far, gone from "bulking" calories to a more reasonable amount, so would explain the initial big drop in weight (from almost 80) due to food volume reduction etc, which will taper off now,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

That great going leanin2019.

Back problems seem to be on the mend. Got a strength session in today, a bit stiff after it. But I should be ok. I will climb back in the saddle this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

bladespin wrote: »
    12st 9lbs 17.2

12st 6lbs 16.5

Much better over the past week or so, full body training every second day, diet not perfect but much more on-point, scale can be a great motivator.

Best of luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

goals.

Run a 5k in under 20 mins. ( not gonna happen)

Run a 10 K in under an hr. ( could possibly happen....although in my head 1hr 10 mins is the same thing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

goals.

Run a 10 K in under an hr. ( could possibly happen....although in my head 1hr 10 mins is the same thing)

If you're even talking about a 20 minute 5k, then doing 10 in less than an hour is not going to be an issue.

Unless you're deluded and your current 5k time is 30 mins :pac:

If you're even talking about a 20 minute 5k, then doing 10 in less than an hour is not going to be an issue.

Unless you're deluded and your current 5k time is 30 mins :pac:
    my current 5k time is 25 mins. ;)

I'm still deluded! :p

Im a slow progressor too though ..it can take me months to get a couple of mins off.

You have to have a dream!

I also wanna build muscle!
    But with running and my metabolism ...that is deffo deluded. But i can build upper body bone density! :)

YAY for bone density!

my current 5k time is 25 mins. ;)

I'm still deluded! :p

Im a slow progressor too though ..it can take me months to get a couple of mins off.

You have to have a dream!

I also wanna build muscle!
    But with running and my metabolism ...that is deffo deluded. But i can build upper body bone density! :)

YAY for bone density!

As a general rule of thumb, they say to predict your marathon time, double your HM time and add 20 mins.

Using the same idea, if you doubled your 5k time and added 10 mins that's an hour. And adding 10 would be too much.

I used to run a lot, casually, but then stopped enjoying it. A few tears back, I entered a few runs to try regain some interest. Did the 5k in 21 flat and 10k in 45 and that wasn't built on much running training. If I can manage 45 min with a 21 min 5k, you should be comfortably under an hour

As a general rule of thumb, they say to predict your marathon time, double your HM time and add 20 mins.

Using the same idea, if you doubled your 5k time and added 10 mins that's an hour. And adding 10 would be too much.

I used to run a lot, casually, but then stopped enjoying it. A few tears back, I entered a few runs to try regain some interest. Did the 5k in 21 flat and 10k in 45 and that wasn't built on much running training. If I can manage 45 min with a 21 min 5k, you should be comfortably under an hour
    Thank you for believing in me! :o

x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Just run by heart rate for 4 weeks, forget pace and keep heart rate below about 140, don’t worry about the pace even if it seems too slow and then try a flat out 5k in 4 weeks time. Base your next 4 weeks training off that time and start to include tempo running and interval running in the next 4 weeks and you should see a huge improvement!

tony1980 wrote: »
    Just run by heart rate for 4 weeks, forget pace and keep heart rate below about 140, don’t worry about the pace even if it seems too slow and then try a flat out 5k in 4 weeks time. Base your next 4 weeks training off that time and start to include tempo running and interval running in the next 4 weeks and you should see a huge improvement!

Interesting! ty.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

goals.

FWIW

A 20min 5km is equal to a 42min 10km
    A 60min 10km is equal to a 28min 5km

So the 10km goal should be doable now. The 5km is a bit of work away

Mellor wrote: »
    FWIW

A 20min 5km is equal to a 42min 10km
    A 60min 10km is equal to a 28min 5km

So the 10km goal should be doable now. The 5km is a bit of work away
    It doesn't work that way in RL.

I can't keep up a 20 min 5km pace for 10km.

Obv if i am running for my best 10 k ...i run the first 5k differently (slower) to if i was running for my best 5k.

If i run 5k flat out ....and i have to run another 5k you better believe that next 5 k is gonna be slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

Great stuff lads,

I have been struggling away with a niggling back injury. some days it grand, but other days I am like a poker. Trained three times this week, fingers crossed I will get one more tomorrow. I will post up the weight situation, to be fair, if i am back where I started I will be happy. As I kicked down the doors the passed two weeks when i could not train.

It doesn't work that way in RL.

I can't keep up a 20 min 5km pace for 10km
    That's exactly how it works in real life.
    The relationship between pace and distance is linear, and an approximate constant. This is well documented in running, countless time predictors exist based off of the concept.

You can't run 20min 5km pace for 5km at this point either. So that doesn't mean anything tbh.

Obv if i am running for my best 10 k ...i run the first 5k differently (slower) to if i was running for my best 5k.

If i run 5k flat out ....and i have to run another 5k you better believe that next 5 k is gonna be slow!
    Yes, PR 10km pace is always slower than PR 5km pace. It was slower in the target times I gave above :confused:.
    Not sure where you got the idea of keeping up 5km pace for 10km.

• Advertisement

That's exactly how it works in real life.
    The relationship between pace and distance is linear, and an approximate constant. .

Said no runner ever. I don't even know what this means!
    Dude im a real runner ..i run in RL. You are obv not. Please stop.

He said of you could do a 5k in 20 mins, that you'd be capable of doing 10k in 42 mins and that if your 5k time was 28 mins or better then you should be able to do 10k in under 60.

There is a relationship between pace and distance, obviously. There are caveats as laid out in this article in Runners World:

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/a761681/rws-race-time-predictor/

And settle down with the "I'm a real runner" nonsense. Just because you've done some running doesn't make you a "real runner".

If you don't know what it means, maybe you should consider that there's a bit more than you know out there.

Serious runners are very familiar with the concept. I'd have thought it that it was pretty intuitive tbh. First couple of results on google, from magazines and articles dealing specifically with running.

https://www.runningahead.com/tools/calculators/race
    https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/a761681/rws-race-time-predictor/
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2018/feb/15/an-updated-formula-for-marathon-running-success

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Riegel
    Peter Riegel (1935-2018) was an American research engineer who developed a mathematical formula for predicting race times for runners and other athletes given a certain performance at another distance. The formula has been widely adopted on account of its simplicity and predictive accuracy.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Take it easy on the personal stuff please.

Week two of my circuit program along with completing all planned sessions this week.
    5out of 7 days. Happy with remaining on task and achieving that. It’s been a while since I followed a plan to the t.
    No weight taken or other stats apart from threshold power on the bike for 20 minutes.

If you don't know what it means, maybe you should consider that there's a bit more than you know out there.

Serious runners are very familiar with the concept.

:rolleyes:

Dude I have many races under my belt. I have trained others. It just does not work that way. I have EQF level 4 as a pt. Im also registered with reps.

You don't have to add anything or comment just wish me well.:)

Dude I have many races under my belt. I have trained others. It just does not work that way. I have EQF level 4 as a pt. Im also registered with reps.

You don't have to add anything or comment just wish me well.:)
    What exactly doesn't work that way? I've no idea what part of my post you are disagreeing with.
    I didn't think it was in any way controversial tbh. It comes from professional athletics coaches, who deal solely with distance runners. A PT cert means nothing to those guys.

No offense mate, but a PT certs are dime a dozen these days. Basically it's means to get insured, get on the ladder and get some real experience. I take it from your post/flex in the other threadthat you are recently qualified and proud of it. Well done for that. But this is the kinda of info you need to add to your knowledge, not reject because you think you know it all.

Well do for doing a couple of runs. So have millions of us.

What exactly doesn't work that way? I've no idea what part of my post you are disagreeing with.
    I didn't think it was in any way controversial tbh. It comes from professional athletics coaches, who deal solely with distance runners. A PT cert means nothing to those guys.

No offense mate, but a PT certs are dime a dozen these days. Basically it's means to get insured, get on the ladder and get some real experience. I take it from your post/flex in the other threadthat you are recently qualified and proud of it. Well done for that. But this is the kinda of info you need to add to your knowledge, not reject because you think you know it all.

Well do for doing a couple of runs. So have millions of us.

I did year long course in UCD.

I have professional running coach. His name is Vinny Mulvey. I thoroughly recommend him.

I have been an assistant running coach.

What do you mean a couple of runs? I have been running since i was 16. I've been in a running club for years.

I have professional running coach. His name is Vinny Mulvey. I thoroughly recommend him.

I have been an assistant running coach.

That makes your posts more confusing tbh. I really don't get what was so controversial.

As I said, what exactly doesn't work that way? I've no idea what part of my post you are disagreeing with.
    Strange that you are ignoring that part now.

What do you mean a couple of runs? I have been running since i was 16. I've been in a running club for years.
    Really? Surprised at that tbh.

• Advertisement

That makes your posts more confusing tbh. I really don't get what was so controversial.
    Really? Surprised at that tbh.
    Really.

It's ok can we be mates?:)

Advertisement