Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paramedic & EMT training

Options
  • 11-02-2020 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I work as a retained firefighter. I am very interested in becoming a paramedic, and working with the ambulance service. Unfortunately I didn't get dublin fire brigade, so am looking for alternatives. Is it worth doing an emt course?
    NAS are recruiting at present but I don't have a c1 licence yet, so I'll have to wait for their next recruitment drive.
    I am looking for info off people who have got jobs with the ambulance service that have done an emt course prior to getting the job. Where did you do your course? Was it worth it?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Parapara2017

I work as a retained firefighter. I am very interested in becoming a paramedic, and working with the ambulance service. Unfortunately I didn't get dublin fire brigade, so am looking for alternatives. Is it worth doing an emt course?
    NAS are recruiting at present but I don't have a c1 licence yet, so I'll have to wait for their next recruitment drive.
    I am looking for info off people who have got jobs with the ambulance service that have done an emt course prior to getting the job. Where did you do your course? Was it worth it?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Not required or worth it seeing as can cost over 3k.

Could join a voluntary service of you want to get some practical experience but fire fighter already would probably cover that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Do you have a C licence to drive fire appliances?
    If you do, that covers C1 vehicles as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Petrol Head_Pilot

Not required or worth it seeing as can cost over 3k.

Could join a voluntary service of you want to get some practical experience but fire fighter already would probably cover that

Medicall do the EMT course for €1800, not 3k? I was looking into this myself but I am sure there are many unemployed EMT's as the industry is small and there are a lot of qualified EMT's in St Johns, Civil Defence etc.

Considering the latest pandemic you would imagine they would be screaming out for EMT's and Paramedics but the HSE has been understaffed for years and I cannot see that changing anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

If you want to become a paramedic you don't need to do an EMT course. You already have experience as a fire fighter which is amazing and NAS would like to see that. The paramedic course is 3 years now and they're recruiting regularly lately.

NAS hire EMT's (intermediate care) in a much smaller capacity, and the pay is less than paramedic.

If you want to work as an Intermediate Care Operative then you'll need your EMT. But it's not a requirement to become a paramedic or anything.

Advertisement